Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Best mobile apps for traveling?

Old Aug 6, 19, 7:15 am
Original Poster

What less known apps do you use while traveling? I want to expand my current list:
bitcohen likes this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 1:57 pm

Haven't seen AroundMe in years - maybe a decade. Is that any good these days?

And I'll add the obvious: Google Maps. But be sure to build your custom map at mymaps.google.com before you go, and then open on your phone at your destination. Very helpful for me.
Old Aug 11, 19, 6:38 am
Company Representative, Fighty App

Programs: flightyapp.com/get
Flighty

We just released Flighty, a pro flight tracker. Itís iOS only, we won App Store Editorsí Choice, our alerts are extremely popular, we have 25h inbound plane tracking with alerts, FAA bulletin alerts, built in flight logger, TripIt sync, calendar sync, and award-winning design.

Free Trial and also free plan. https://apps.apple.com/app/id1358823008

Last edited by flightyryan; Aug 11, 19 at 6:45 am
Old Aug 12, 19, 2:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
Haven't seen AroundMe in years - maybe a decade. Is that any good these days?

And I'll add the obvious: Google Maps. But be sure to build your custom map at mymaps.google.com before you go, and then open on your phone at your destination. Very helpful for me.
How custom is that? I've never used mymaps.google.com, I always just download offline maps using the mobile app itself before I leave.

Also, seconding AroundMe. I haven't used that in YEARS but this prompted me to download it again and try it out.
Old Aug 12, 19, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff View Post
How custom is that? I've never used mymaps.google.com, I always just download offline maps using the mobile app itself before I leave.

Also, seconding AroundMe. I haven't used that in YEARS but this prompted me to download it again and try it out.
It's much more than just a cached map - and it isn't necessarily cached.

You can add your hotel, restaurants, museums, activity locations, friends' houses, etc. - any location, with a description, and even pictures.

I don't generally do it, but you can add routes also.

I'll dump in there tons of things I might want to see, and then, if I'm in a new part of town, I check to see what's right around me.
Old Aug 13, 19, 2:06 pm

You can try this: "TripA" - share itinerary planner . Available on both android and iOS.
Easy to use app. Best for traveling in group.
bitcohen likes this.
Old Aug 23, 19, 10:09 am

The few times I've traveled with friends, I found Splitwise to be incredibly useful, especially since it saves time. Airbnb, Agoda for rooms and hotels. I can also think of Hipmunk and Skiplagged for flights, Google Translate especially for the camera function. Depending on the location, I find UberEats and Instacart also helpful (only in the US I think? And so are some of the recommendations on this article). Not all intended for travel alone, but these are some of what I group together on my phone when I'm on a trip.
Old Sep 25, 19, 10:27 pm

You should check out Wanderium: https://www.wanderium.com

It isn't technically a native mobile app, but it works great on your phone's web browser (a native app is on the roadmap). Shameless promotion since I'm the creator, but I'd love to get feedback from my travelers! The mission to help anyone prepare for a trip in minutes instead of hours by removing all the tedious guesswork of figuring out things like visas, vaccines, safety, etc. Think of it like a Turbotax for travel.
Old Oct 31, 19, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've been happy with
Trail wallet
Skyscanner
Onplanners
Maps.me
Google trips

Last edited by bitcohen; Nov 3, 19 at 10:03 am

Search this Thread