Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Website to identify flight based on location/date/time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)

I was thinking about this the other day and wondering, if I know the location, date, and time I saw a particular plane traveling across the sky, is there a way to find out what flight it was at a later date? I know I can view/track flights that are currently in the sky right now using many different websites, but what if I wanted to see what flights were in a certain area at a different time (I'm only talking about something a week ago...not data from years ago). Thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:00 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
I was thinking about this the other day and wondering, if I know the location, date, and time I saw a particular plane traveling across the sky, is there a way to find out what flight it was at a later date? I know I can view/track flights that are currently in the sky right now using many different websites, but what if I wanted to see what flights were in a certain area at a different time (I'm only talking about something a week ago...not data from years ago). Thanks!
One possibility is http://planefinder.net which has a historical playback feature -- if you click on the "playback" button in the upper right you can change the date within a 2 week range. They have data going back to I think 2011, and I'm certain the entire time period used to be available in playback, because I used it to look up some older international flights when I was filling in some gaps in my flight log last December, but I can't figure out a way to get past 2 weeks anymore, which is a pity.

They also have smartphone apps which may or may not have the same 2-week limitation.
smc333 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
One possibility is http://planefinder.net which has a historical playback feature -- if you click on the "playback" button in the upper right you can change the date within a 2 week range. They have data going back to I think 2011, and I'm certain the entire time period used to be available in playback, because I used it to look up some older international flights when I was filling in some gaps in my flight log last December, but I can't figure out a way to get past 2 weeks anymore, which is a pity.

They also have smartphone apps which may or may not have the same 2-week limitation.
Thanks for the reply! I can't seem to get to the historical data on planefinder.net. I see the link for "Historical Flight Data", and when I click on it, it brings up another page, but I don't seem to be able to search for historical data anywhere. What I really want to be able to do is center the map on a certain area, and then go back to a certain time period, and see what flights flew near there at that time.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Thanks for the reply! I can't seem to get to the historical data on planefinder.net. I see the link for "Historical Flight Data", and when I click on it, it brings up another page, but I don't seem to be able to search for historical data anywhere. What I really want to be able to do is center the map on a certain area, and then go back to a certain time period, and see what flights flew near there at that time.
Don't click on "Historical Flight Data" -- that's a red herring

Click on the playback button in the toolbar on the upper right:

the dropdown menus let you change the date and time.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Ohhh, I see now! Thanks! Unfortunately I'm just too late, and the flight I was looking for is just over 2 weeks ago (2 weeks and 2 hours or so), so I can't find anything on the site. That's exactly what I was looking for, however! ^
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:28 pm

Ohhh, I see now! Thanks! Unfortunately I'm just too late, and the flight I was looking for is just over 2 weeks ago (2 weeks and 2 hours or so), so I can't find anything on the site. That's exactly what I was looking for, however! ^
I experimented just now and it seems setting the date backwards on the computer moves the selectable date window back correspondingly once you reload the page
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

I experimented just now and it seems setting the date backwards on the computer moves the selectable date window back correspondingly once you reload the page
I tried that as well, but if you change your computer date to 1 week ago, and then select a date on the website that's more than 2 weeks ago, it seems to skip forward to the date of your computer in order to replay the data...
Old May 23, 2019, 7:19 am

I talked with someone from Planefinder around the time this thread started and they said that they had to stop offering unlimited data because of data theft on the website. Unfortunately I tried moving the clock back but it doesn't work. Here's why: if you move the clock back and try to play back, it doesn't work and only shows you the current flights.

I tried that as well, but if you change your computer date to 1 week ago, and then select a date on the website that's more than 2 weeks ago, it seems to skip forward to the date of your computer in order to replay the data...
When you say it skips forward to the date of your computer I think you mean it skips forward to the actual date.

Last edited by TWA884; May 23, 2019 at 9:56 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.