Search
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blahter
The info in the OP is out of date.

Install the Chrome Extension

Guide can be found here

Report issues here

Also, use fake FF accounts. Not just for this tool but any of them that use your account info. I promise that I'm not stealing your credentials but if the extension gets stuck on a login loop, at least your real account won't be locked out.
Print Wikipost

AwardFinder Chrome Extension

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerryhung
He/she just meant that your tool is a search engine that doesn't take one directly to book online

One still needs to book respectively on the correct website, like Aeroplan.com, BA, United, etc...
Ah...that makes more sense. It's been a long day.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Update: multi-origin/destination search

Some Updates
  • Gateway search has now been replaced with multi-origin/destination on the regular search page
  • More restrictive filters
Old Jul 12, 2015, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by blahter
Some Updates
  • Gateway search has now been replaced with multi-origin/destination on the regular search page
  • More restrictive filters
I guess the filter works more as expected now
Unchecking AC = no AC at all

Did you look into [swapping Origin & Destination]? should be an easy button/feature to do, yes? would be much appreciated
I ask because that's the fastest way to do a Round-trip search since we don't have R/T search

Thanks again, keep up the good work
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:28 am

First, thank you for this tool. I was excited for this when you first announced it, then didn't have much award searching to do, but now coming back I'm really impressed by how well it works.

The multi-origin/destination function that was just rolled out is also incredibly useful. Thanks for this.

A few bug reports/feature suggestions:

Bug: At the moment (for me) AC is not working. It logs in fine, takes forever to the go the search page, and then the search page throws errors. It looks like there was no flight information submitted before the Search button was pressed. Take this with a grain of salt, as AC is not working very well for me in Chrome either, and is atrociously slow in general. But NH works fine for *A.

Feature requests:

- Make submitting login details optional if possible. Maybe a user could login in a separate Chrome windows and then the app can use the same session? I created fake logins for a few services to add to the app, but you will get much better adoption if you could allow users to log in with their actual information without needing to add it to the app.

- As the searching happens, eg with NH, it would be great to always have the date being searched for in the progress bar. So with NH, when it says "Navigating to advanced search" you could add "(July 13, 2015)" so that we always know how far along in the process we are.

- It would be great to have a tiny bit of help come along with the interface. Right now the only information about how to use the tool is in the Help section; even a tool tip when mousing over the airports ("Enter multiple origins or destinations separated by comma") would be good and easy.

- For airlines that don't report the number of seats available, indicating "1+" would be friendly for people who are copy/pasting this info into spreadsheets

- Finally, linking out to some free tools based on the information the user is searching for could be really helpful. For example, when I'm searching for SIN-NRT flights, if I could click a link and be sent here http://www.milez.biz/en/list_rates.php?f=SIN&t=NRT it would be really quick and helpful. If you'd like some more examples of tools like this that would be useful to include I'd be happy to provide.

These are a lot of suggestions, but all small things - what you put together already is very solid and extremely useful. Thanks again for sharing it with us.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Did you look into [swapping Origin & Destination]? should be an easy button/feature to do, yes? would be much appreciated
I ask because that's the fastest way to do a Round-trip search since we don't have R/T search
I keep forgetting about this. I'll put it into the next release.

Originally Posted by ninegoodthings

Bug: At the moment (for me) AC is not working. It logs in fine, takes forever to the go the search page, and then the search page throws errors. It looks like there was no flight information submitted before the Search button was pressed. Take this with a grain of salt, as AC is not working very well for me in Chrome either, and is atrociously slow in general. But NH works fine for *A.
Could you send me (either here or PM) what you were searching for? With AC, the app is actually filling out the form behind the scenes through hidden inputs so you won't see the form being filled out. It seems to be working for me but AC is a little finicky and they like to change around quite a bit.

- Make submitting login details optional if possible. Maybe a user could login in a separate Chrome windows and then the app can use the same session? I created fake logins for a few services to add to the app, but you will get much better adoption if you could allow users to log in with their actual information without needing to add it to the app.
This can kind of work but it won't be a normal Chrome window since apps have no access to regular browser windows. The way it could work would be moving each of the iframes you see when in debug mode and creating a separate window for each of them but that might get unwieldy really quick. I can understand not wanting to add credentials to the app but I'm not sure if this trade-off is worth it, especially if it spawns 2-3 windows each time.

- As the searching happens, eg with NH, it would be great to always have the date being searched for in the progress bar. So with NH, when it says "Navigating to advanced search" you could add "(July 13, 2015)" so that we always know how far along in the process we are.
It actually already does this

Now that I reread your question, I think you're saying to include the date in every progress message?

- It would be great to have a tiny bit of help come along with the interface. Right now the only information about how to use the tool is in the Help section; even a tool tip when mousing over the airports ("Enter multiple origins or destinations separated by comma") would be good and easy.
I've been meaning to do this but never got around to it. I'll include it, hopefully in the next release

- For airlines that don't report the number of seats available, indicating "1+" would be friendly for people who are copy/pasting this info into spreadsheets
That's actually a very good idea.

- Finally, linking out to some free tools based on the information the user is searching for could be really helpful. For example, when I'm searching for SIN-NRT flights, if I could click a link and be sent here http://www.milez.biz/en/list_rates.php?f=SIN&t=NRT it would be really quick and helpful. If you'd like some more examples of tools like this that would be useful to include I'd be happy to provide.
This is interesting but I don't really want to have to manage updating the links when the authors of these tools change the inputs/urls/etc but I'll think about it.

These are a lot of suggestions, but all small things - what you put together already is very solid and extremely useful. Thanks again for sharing it with us.
Thanks!

Last edited by blahter; Jul 14, 2015 at 6:12 pm Reason: Fix image
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:39 pm

on a separate note, how does one force a Chrome app update?

I tried it on 2 computers, opened Chrome & Award.Flights app, multiple times, no auto-update
On computer #1, I had to remove & re-install to get the new version (0.60), but all login info & Saved Search are lost
so I haven't done so on computer #2
Old Jul 13, 2015, 11:16 pm

Programs: *void
AwardFinder: Yet another award flight search tool

The app's AC interface works. The back-end AC website/engine is another story. It often is down or undergoing regularly daily maintenance after midnite, Eastern time. Open Aeroplan.com in your briwser and then you'll see the reason why the app is stalling.

Jerry, forcing all apps/extensions to manually update:
chrome://extensions/
> click ON "Developer Mode"
> "Update Extensions now"
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:34 am

Could you send me (either here or PM) what you were searching for? With AC, the app is actually filling out the form behind the scenes through hidden inputs so you won't see the form being filled out. It seems to be working for me but AC is a little finicky and they like to change around quite a bit.
Can't remember exactly what I was searching, but it works now. At the time I don't think I was able to search AC in a normal Chrome window either. I also had a wifi issue that I hadn't realized yet... so, like I said take it with a grain of salt. Probably no need to address it.

This can kind of work but it won't be a normal Chrome window since apps have no access to regular browser windows. The way it could work would be moving each of the iframes you see when in debug mode and creating a separate window for each of them but that might get unwieldy really quick. I can understand not wanting to add credentials to the app but I'm not sure if this trade-off is worth it, especially if it spawns 2-3 windows each time.
Got it. I don't think this solves the credentials "issue" anyway, but it's not the end of the world. Personally I would prefer to have a separate windowed iframe for each search as it happens, but that's a preference and that might very well cause memory issues for Chrome.

Really, it's fine as it is.

It actually already does this

Now that I reread your question, I think you're saying to include the date in every progress message?
Can't see your image, but I think you get what I'm talking about. Sometimes I'll have a large search to run (multi-origin/destination and multiple days) and it's hard to know how far along I am if the progress message only says "Navigating to advanced search page". "Navigating to advanced search page NRT-SIN 08-26-15" would be more helpful".

I should note that sometimes searches take a long, long time for me. Like 10 mins to search 10 dates. So for many users this may be less of a concern.

I've been meaning to do this but never got around to it. I'll include it, hopefully in the next release
Great! I think it would be really helpful for newbies.

That's actually a very good idea.
Thanks! Of course if the user was searching 2 passengers I guess you would indicate 2+.

This is interesting but I don't really want to have to manage updating the links when the authors of these tools change the inputs/urls/etc but I'll think about it.
Yep, completely understand that.

Thanks!
Thanks for the quick response! It's great to use tools that have responsive developers.

Last edited by ninegoodthings; Jul 14, 2015 at 11:40 am
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:58 am

Just to add opinion on the credentials
If one is super paranoid, just use a dummy account with dummy password to search
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:06 pm

Turns out my issue with searching on AC was that I was using a city code, which AC doesn't accept.

That would be a great tool tip - "We recommend using multiple airport codes, rather than a single city code, because not all engines recognize city codes."
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Turns out my issue with searching on AC was that I was using a city code, which AC doesn't accept.

That would be a great tool tip - "We recommend using multiple airport codes, rather than a single city code, because not all engines recognize city codes."
It's a little tricky. Some carriers want airport codes, some want city codes. JL likes city codes: NYC instead of JFK/EWR, CHI instead of ORD/MDW etc. NH used to as well but I actually haven't checked if their new site allows airport codes instead of city codes.

The ones I've handled:
JL
  • JFK/EWR/LGA -> NYC
  • ORD/MDW -> CHI
  • LHR/LGW -> LON
  • CDG/ORY -> PAR

NH
  • NYC->JFK/EWR
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:14 pm

I didn't realized that you'd hard-coded some - that's a great addition.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:26 pm

Some new thoughts
- can we default to Economy cabin pre-checked?
- I prefer "Restrictive" option pre-checked
- I prefer the Filters section to always show instead of hidden and click-to-expand
* maybe above 3 can be made an option in Settings so we can check the DEFAULT options we like. For me it's Economy+Restrictive+show Filter. Some may want Business+Restrictive+hide Filter

Another few
- Is it possible/easy to break down results by Date?
It gets hard to separate if I'm looking at 10 days at once. Even worse if each day has 2-3 options, and I look at both AC + BA
- Possible to add [+] button to expand/collapse each search engine?
e.g. If I search AC+BA now, they show all results at once without anyway to hide either one

thanks
Old Nov 12, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
did you make updates? they are good, much easier to search multiple cities
Old Nov 12, 2015, 2:58 pm

Thanks for this update! And for fixing AP search

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.