FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Anybody having trouble with their United Mobile SIM? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/945031-anybody-having-trouble-their-united-mobile-sim.html)

dundeecake Apr 30, 2009 1:35 pm

dundeecake Apr 30, 2009 1:38 pm

One of the users was referring to a program that www.onesimcard.com is offering where they will send you one of their SIM cards for free if you register with them and mail them your United Mobile sim.

I actually did the United Mobile replacement program a few days ago and it's definitely worth it. I got a new international sim for free from OneSimCard. Shipping was free as well. It works the same way as United Mobile, so it was pretty easy to get used to.

I read on the onesimcard website that they have a similar program for Yackie Mobile users, as they went out of business as well.

EasternTraveler Apr 30, 2009 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by dundeecake (Post 11672550)
One of the users was referring to a program that www.onesimcard.com is offering where they will send you one of their SIM cards for free if you register with them and mail them your United Mobile sim.

I actually did the United Mobile replacement program a few days ago and it's definitely worth it. I got a new international sim for free from OneSimCard. Shipping was free as well. It works the same way as United Mobile, so it was pretty easy to get used to.

I read on the onesimcard website that they have a similar program for Yackie Mobile users, as they went out of business as well.

This is good if you just need people to be able to call you. However, their bill might be high as Estonia cost more to call than other EU countries.

It is not so good if you buy two and call between them, the rate is then $0.60 and up. ymmv

mrcamp Apr 30, 2009 2:35 pm

As mentioned, calling that Estonian number can be problematic. And if it does work, it's at very high rates. Sometimes 2 - 3 times more than the rate of a regular UK mobile. Also, their outgoing rates are high. At least it's a free sim with $10.

Dubai Stu May 1, 2009 8:15 pm

Globasimcard.co.uk has a similar offer with a UK mobile number. Their upcoming SIM, however, is very interesting because it includes cheap US roaming.

I bought a Celtrek SIM to replace by United Mobile and they have good rates, but the local number part isn't running yet. You are stuck with a Belgian number at the moment.

EasternTraveler May 2, 2009 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu (Post 11680369)
Globasimcard.co.uk has a similar offer with a UK mobile number. Their upcoming SIM, however, is very interesting because it includes cheap US roaming.

I bought a Celtrek SIM to replace by United Mobile and they have good rates, but the local number part isn't running yet. You are stuck with a Belgian number at the moment.

Do you mean the GeoSim at http://www.globalsimcard.co.uk/compare.php

telnamobile May 8, 2009 1:49 pm

United Mobile replacement

Hello,

for people who are still stranded without service, telna Mobile has the following replacement offer:

- send in your non working United Mobile sim card (or a non working card from another out of business provider) and we will replace it for free with a telna Mobile card and waive the $49 annual fee in the first year

- or, if you pay the $49 annual fee for the first year, we will rush your replacement card via DHL to your hotel

Features of our service:
- USA based phone number
- no free incoming calls
- free online voicemail to save airtime when checking messages
- inbound SMS on the USA number coming soon

You can learn more at http://www.telnamobile.com

Jean
Telecom North America Inc.

EasternTraveler May 12, 2009 5:23 pm

Even though they are probably a day late and a dollar short for a lot of us, I did receive and email from United Mobile today. It said that they have permanently discontinued the 423 number sim cards and that they are mailing out new 44 number sim cards. It also said that there is a service interuption on the 44 number system and they are working to get it restored as soon as possible. FYI

I also started a thread that I hope becomes a sticky so that we can list all international sim companies and their status as well as rates and issues. It is titled International SIM cards.

Dubai Stu May 13, 2009 6:34 am

That is the right company. They also trade under the name Geodessa. Here is the SIM offer I was was talking about:

ttp://www.globalsimcard.co.uk/news.php#dualimsi

It will be available later this month. I like the US rates. While I have a contract US mobile, it means that I can play with it (test call forwards, etc) over here. I also have several friends who are American Ex Pats who will like the SIM.

EasternTraveler May 13, 2009 8:48 am

Originally Posted by telnamobile (Post 11717962)
Hello,

for people who are still stranded without service, telna Mobile has the following replacement offer:

- send in your non working United Mobile sim card (or a non working card from another out of business provider) and we will replace it for free with a telna Mobile card and waive the $49 annual fee in the first year

- or, if you pay the $49 annual fee for the first year, we will rush your replacement card via DHL to your hotel

Features of our service:
- USA based phone number
- no free incoming calls
- free online voicemail to save airtime when checking messages
- inbound SMS on the USA number coming soon

You can learn more at http://www.telnamobile.com

Jean
Telecom North America Inc.

Thanks for the offer, but this is the most expensive rates I have ever seen.

soitgoes May 13, 2009 9:10 am

Originally Posted by telnamobile (Post 11717962)
Features of our service:
- no free incoming calls

That's a feature?

EasternTraveler May 13, 2009 9:20 am

Go to the website, it is full of laughs. :D

Roger May 13, 2009 10:36 am

United-Mobile sent me a new card (+44) with a €10 bonus. They said they would transfer the credit balance from my +423 card. They didn't, and that card now shows €0.00 credit. :( The new card shows €10 credit.

Oh, the new card doesn't work. :rolleyes:

EasternTraveler May 13, 2009 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Roger (Post 11742202)
United-Mobile sent me a new card (+44) with a €10 bonus. They said they would transfer the credit balance from my +423 card. They didn't, and that card now shows €0.00 credit. :( The new card shows €10 credit.

Oh, the new card doesn't work. :rolleyes:

When did you receive this?
I just got the email yesterday. I hope I am not getting a dead sim. That would be :td:

mrcamp May 13, 2009 11:25 am

The +44 platform has been down for about a month or so. So, it's no surprise that the sim you got or will be getting will not work.

My +423 balance is now showing zero. +44 balance is still correct. Don't care much at this point since I have already exchanged my +423 card with it's $3 balance for a travelSim card.