FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Anybody having trouble with their United Mobile SIM? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/945031-anybody-having-trouble-their-united-mobile-sim.html)

sbm12 Apr 21, 2009 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Victor1970 (Post 11616829)
Probably there is a way to communicate with United Mobile’s management, since the customer service is not answering anymore. In his profile on Linkedin.com Alexander Trommen proudly confirms:“I am currently Chief Marketing Officer of United Mobile AG, the leading MVNO targeting the international business traveller segment with over 300,000 customers in 80 countries.”

This means that if you are a Linkedin member and you are one of the 300,000 customers abandoned by United Mobile, you can write to Alexander Trommen directly asking for clarifications.

The same applies to Sven Donhuysen. His Linkedin profile still defines his current job as “President at United Mobile AG”.

If I just closed up a company I doubt that my first move would be to update my LinkedIn profile. And those profies are all tied to an email address and there is a good chance they are using their work email for that purpose and that access to that email may not be available. Finally, I'm not sure how much good it would do to email them and ask what is going on. I think it is pretty clear that the company has ceased operations and that isn't going to change if you ask the former president or marketing guy.

michaelbrentzen Apr 21, 2009 1:27 pm

http://www.travelsim.co.uk/ma/page.a...d=158&pgsid=34 might be a good alternative.

sbm12 Apr 21, 2009 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by michaelbrentzen (Post 11620152)

Well, that gets you a free SIM card, but are the rates any good?? I haven't compared rates lately, but it is 37 cents from France to the USA or a French landline and 67 cents to a French mobile line. Is that a good deal?

jtjbt20x Apr 21, 2009 6:35 pm

Message from United Mobile Customer Service

They seem to be answering emails sent to customer service...

Dear Mr. xxx:

Thank you for contacting us.

Since 04/15/2009 we are suffering from a complete outage of the +44 platform. We are working on a solution of this problem with all our effort.

We thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Customer Service
United Mobile

sbm12 Apr 21, 2009 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by jtjbt20x (Post 11621844)
They seem to be answering emails sent to customer service...

Sure, but do you believe them?? ;)

Bearbear Apr 22, 2009 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu (Post 11608585)
I just learned about it and sent my most technically illiterate friend to Aruba with my UM SIM.

You're right. This is a great way to make me feel better about just refreshing my sim card. I'll give it to a technically illiterate friend to take on vacation.:D

LAXPlat Apr 22, 2009 12:58 pm

possible free replacement

I had a United Mobile SIM (actually an older Global Riing card) that I purchased from Telestial. When I called Telestial customer service about the outage, they sent me a new (free, free shipping) Passport SIM card with supposedly the same balance as my old card. So if you purchased a Riing or United Mobile SIM card from Telestial, it may be worth contacting them.

Bearbear Apr 22, 2009 5:41 pm

I can access my account on the UM website again! My phone is with MamaBear in Japan. Can anybody test theirs in gsm land?

jtjbt20x Apr 22, 2009 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 11622185)
Sure, but do you believe them?? ;)

Sure, just like I believed SQ would take a paper ticket...always have a plan b. My phone still doesn't have service at the time of writing this email on either T-Mobile or Cingular in the DC metro area.

mrcamp Apr 22, 2009 6:51 pm

Still showing invalid sim.

Originally Posted by Bearbear (Post 11627707)
Can anybody test theirs in gsm land?

Platcomike Apr 22, 2009 11:49 pm

I can access my account online but phone shows "limited service" in Australia.

EasternTraveler Apr 25, 2009 9:01 am

Anyone else having problems with United Mobile?

While traveling in the EU this past month. My UM cards have been coming back with network busy. Sent numerous contacts to them and no response in over two weeks. Called on the phone and it says something about an upgrade. Any ideas or other experiences? Thanks.

mrcamp Apr 25, 2009 8:03 pm

If you read this whole thread, you'll find out that the UM cards are no longer working. My accounts are now showing 0.00 balance and the status of the cards are showing unknown. It looks like UM is no more.

Also, see this thread.

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/inte...e-mail-11.html

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler (Post 11642158)
While traveling in the EU this past month. My UM cards have been coming back with network busy. Sent numerous contacts to them and no response in over two weeks. Called on the phone and it says something about an upgrade. Any ideas or other experiences? Thanks.

EasternTraveler Apr 26, 2009 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by mrcamp (Post 11644554)
If you read this whole thread, you'll find out that the UM cards are no longer working. My accounts are now showing 0.00 balance and the status of the cards are showing unknown. It looks like UM is no more.

Also, see this thread.

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/inte...e-mail-11.html

Well thank you, but if the mod who merged the thread I posted to, had made a notation that it was moved, you would have known that I did not know this thread existed. But they didn't and you didn't and thanks to them moving my post, I found this thread. Thanks.

EasternTraveler Apr 26, 2009 7:00 pm

Well I called and it has a recording stating that new sims are on the way.
''' I'm not holding my breath!"""

I called my credit card company about the money they charged me. We will see if they respond to that inquiry.