Wiki Posts
Search

www.flyertalk.com drawing CPU resources while idling

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2008, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM
www.flyertalk.com drawing CPU resources while idling

I have noticed for a while that my notebook is drawing high CPU resources while leaving a Flyertalk forum page open. This appears to be caused by the ads embedded in the forum pages.

CPU resource drops to low level when I closed the Flyertalk page.

Anyone else has noticed this phenomenon and has an explanation?

Last edited by SJUAMMF; Dec 13, 2008 at 12:23 pm
Old Dec 13, 2008, 12:51 pm

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by SJUAMMF
I have noticed for a while that my notebook is drawing high CPU resources while leaving a Flyertalk forum page open. This appears to be caused by the ads embedded in the forum pages.

CPU resource drops to low level when I closed the Flyertalk page.

Anyone else has noticed this phenomenon and has an explanation?
Flash ads can be a big pull on the CPU.

Two solutions:
1) Ad-blocking software (I recommend .......+ for Firefox, free)
2) Get a subscription to FT Premium ($12/year) to eliminate ads. (I used to do this, but due to some disagreements with the management, I've chosen to go to a free solution)
Old Dec 13, 2008, 1:49 pm

If the problem is flash, the firefox add-on flashblock works great. It lets you choose to see the flash animation if you want to (replacing the flash with an icon), and supports white-lists, for sites that you want to always allow to show the flash animations.

I haven't seen the problem, but I have the sub, and I have flashblock, and I have a modified hosts file that blocks lots of the ad sites (via spybot s&d's innoculate feature).

-David
Old Dec 13, 2008, 1:55 pm

There is another thread over in OMNI on this very problem.

Yes, it is an FT problem. My CPU usage reaches and stays at 50% or more with an FT window open. Other sites, even with tons of active content, don't do this. IIRC, this all started a week or two ago when FT got it's new look. Could be wrong about that, though.

Note to FT: this is hurting you. Fix the *&#$! problem.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM
Looks like index pages don't cause high CPU usage while individual threads do.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Another solution is to add the line
127.0.0.1 a.tribalfusion.com
in the hosts file which is found in C:\I386 (at least that's where it is in XP).
This prevents the computer from connecting to the adserver.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 3:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The hosts file in XP is usually located in

windows
system 32
drivers
etc

I've added the following lines, though not all for flyertalk

127.0.0.1 c13.zedo.com
127.0.0.1 ad.linksynergy.com
127.0.0.1 m1.2mdn.net
127.0.0.1 a.tribalfusion.com
127.0.0.1 affiliates.reunion.com
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 banners.4d5.net

Once I realized there was an option for $12 a year to get rid of the ads totally, that was a much easier way to go. I still mess around with the hosts site for some other boards, but not here anymore.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I believe that this is a Flash issue, not specifically a FT one. I have the same performance issues on occasion and I have the FT Premium that is ad-free. It only happens when there are flash ads running in one of my sessions.

And the hosts file exists in both paths noted above, but if you want to solve the problem you need to make the changes in the one that cordelli identified. The other one is just used by the installer to get it into the windows directory.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:24 am

Programs: Delta Pb Medallion
Originally Posted by deubster
Yes, it is an FT problem. My CPU usage reaches and stays at 50% or more with an FT window open. Other sites, even with tons of active content, don't do this. IIRC, this all started a week or two ago when FT got it's new look. Could be wrong about that, though.

Note to FT: this is hurting you. Fix the *&#$! problem.
+1
This did get significantly worse just a couple weeks ago. I also think it is the ads.

Originally Posted by sbm12
I believe that this is a Flash issue, not specifically a FT one. I have the same performance issues on occasion and I have the FT Premium that is ad-free. It only happens when there are flash ads running in one of my sessions.
This appears to be an FT problem, or at least specific to the ads on FT. There are countless sites that use tons of flash... New York Times, Washington Post, IHT, etc. They all use way more flash on their home page than one or two ads on FT... yet none of them chew up resources or slow down my computer like the FT flash ads do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.