FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   [archived] Favorite iPhone/iPad applications (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/848219-archived-favorite-iphone-ipad-applications.html)

PSUhorty Dec 21, 2009 4:51 pm

Well, I’ve got the iPhone 3G operating 3.1.2
Still no luck. Inconsequential now… I called on the REAL brains- my 15 yr. old son. He knew exactly how to drag an icon backwards a page or two on the touchscreen of the iPhone.

jackal Dec 22, 2009 4:35 am

Originally Posted by PSUhorty (Post 13013543)
I’m with you on the red circle constantly showing a ‘50’ in it. My iPhone is linked to my personal, hotmail account. For whatever reason, it is not properly synched up with my account when I use it w/my laptop. Emails that I’ve read on my laptop show as being unread on my iPhone. So, it always shows 50 unread in the little red circle. I could go in and delete them manually on my iPhone, but it then loads the next 50 that were prior to that and again shows 50 unread. I could go through and delete all of them, but not willing to take the time to do that as I have about 700 emails in my personal inbox (I don’t keep it as tidy as my work inbox :P ) I wish that I could get it back to a permanent zero on my iPhone.

I suspect that's because Hotmail only supports POP3, not IMAP. POP3 is a strictly one-way protocol: it downloads email from your inbox to your device (and under most ISPs, then deletes it from your server--Hotmail probably leaves it on the server, though). It doesn't synchronize anything else--read vs. unread status flags, moving the message to another online folder, or any of that. It was designed to operate like a post office box (POP3 stands for Post Office Protocol, v3)--the mail agent puts it in your box and you collect it and take it home with you.

IMAP offers much greater flexibility. With IMAP, you don't download your messages and take them with you--you view them on the server itself. So any messages in your inbox stay on the server. If you delete a message out of your inbox, it gets deleted on the server. If you move a message to another folder, it gets moved on the server. If you mark it as read in your mail client, it gets marked read on the server. This means that when you then access your email via webmail or on another computer, all of those changes get synchronized across all of your mail clients and devices. The chief downside to IMAP is that since the mail always resides on the server, it can fill up your mailbox quota much faster. My old university email box with a 10MB quota would fill up in a week (that's just text--forget about attachments!), so I'd have to go in and constantly delete messages or move them to an archive on my computer.

That's why I'm such a fan of Gmail (and Google Apps): you get IMAP access but never have to worry about cleaning up your inbox. For packrats like me, the (what is it now) 7GB they give me allows me to keep all of my email I've ever received and still have enough room for anything more I'll ever get.

Yahoo! also allows IMAP on the iPhone (complete with push notifications, actually, which are very nice), but only on the iPhone. They don't allow IMAP access to email clients (like Outlook), so you're stuck using the web interface, but at least your read/deleted/folder organization changes are synced between the server and your phone.

All that, combined with the virtually flawless Gmail spam filter (no one else even approaches it--99.999% of spam is caught and there's probably a 0.0001% false positive rate) make me recommend changing to a Gmail account (you can then forward your old Hotmail address to your new Gmail address so you don't miss any messages). If you're stuck on Hotmail, though, you'll have to live with the reality of not being able to sync your inbox on your iPhone with your online inbox, since they only provide POP3 access.

One thing that might help you process and delete your 700 unread emails faster: you can change the number of emails the iPhone receives at any given time up to 200. Look for the setting under Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Mail section>Show [#] Recent Messages. Then, to quickly delete messages, when viewing your inbox, tap the "Edit" button in the upper right corner and then tap each message you want to delete, selecting multiple at any given time. Then tap the red "Delete" button at the bottom of the screen.

nmenaker Dec 22, 2009 5:50 am

well, with IMAP one still downloads them off the server so one can read everything offline and disconnected from the internet (at least if you use some form of client and not just a web browser) but indeed the "synchronization" that occurs makes everything uniform across all platforms and across the browser access.

jackal Dec 22, 2009 6:41 am

Originally Posted by nmenaker (Post 13034843)
well, with IMAP one still downloads them off the server so one can read everything offline and disconnected from the internet (at least if you use some form of client and not just a web browser) but indeed the "synchronization" that occurs makes everything uniform across all platforms and across the browser access.

Sorry--unclear. I meant it in the light of "you don't take your mail out of your P.O. box." Yes, your mail client does retain a cached copy (depending on settings) for when you're not actively connected to the Internet.

stimpy Dec 24, 2009 3:15 am

SNCF

SNCF just came out with a new app. This is vastly better than the .mobi website that I used to have to use. This is my new favorite app. ^

smibay Dec 29, 2009 9:16 pm

Scrabble and Runkeeper have proven to be my most used apps by far.

wco81 Jan 1, 2010 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 13047159)
SNCF just came out with a new app. This is vastly better than the .mobi website that I used to have to use. This is my new favorite app. ^

There's also a Trenitalia app. but it's apparently only in Italian and only available for Italian iTunes Store.

I think another cool app. would be the TFL travel planner engine as an app., provided free by the agency. Same thing for other metro systems which have trip calculation engines (you enter beginning and ending address and they have a step-by-step list of which metros and bus combos to take).

wco81 Jan 1, 2010 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by smibay (Post 13077950)
Scrabble and Runkeeper have proven to be my most used apps by far.

I was thinking about getting Scrabble because it's one of the few games that you can play online.

But when I tried playing Scrabble on FB on the computer, didn't see too many games.

Otherwise, if you play the computer, it apparently cheats.

jackal Jan 1, 2010 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 13093743)
Same thing for other metro systems which have trip calculation engines (you enter beginning and ending address and they have a step-by-step list of which metros and bus combos to take).

Many transit agencies (and the number is always increasing) participate in Google Transit. Google Transit can be accessed on your iPhone by searching for directions in the Maps app and tapping the icon of a bus at the top (between the car and the stick figure) before tapping "start."

wco81 Jan 1, 2010 7:00 pm

Thanks, didn't know that. Tried it for Madrid, found the directions by car but not by the transit system.

jackal Jan 1, 2010 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 13094061)
Thanks, didn't know that. Tried it for Madrid, found the directions by car but not by the transit system.

Odd. If you go to http://www.google.com/transit and drag the map over to Madrid, it does show Madrid as participating, though it says "transit layer only." Not entirely sure what that means--maybe that means the map shows bus/rail stops in Madrid but doesn't [yet] provide interactive directions.

Cross your fingers they add that functionality soon!

wco81 Jan 1, 2010 7:55 pm

Yeah I found this site, www.ctm-madrid.es.

Not sure if that's affiliated with the transit system. It's a different site than the official Madrid metro or bus site, I believe. That may explain why it's not part of it.

rofra Jan 1, 2010 11:16 pm

I think another cool app. would be the TFL travel planner engine as an app., provided free by the agency. Same thing for other metro systems which have trip calculation engines (you enter beginning and ending address and they have a step-by-step list of which metros and bus combos to take).

London? or is there another TFL? :-)
If you're looking for a London public transport app, Malcolm Barclay made some really great apps: Tube Deluxe and London Bus.

stimpy Jan 2, 2010 3:40 am

RATP has such an app, but it costs €5 I think on Itunes.

lobster7 Jan 3, 2010 3:10 am

I tend to use these apps a lot when traveling both by car and plane-

XE
World Countries Factsheet
The Weather Channel
Units (conversion)
iGasUp
FlightTrack
Mapquest
Chipotle (yummy)
Live ATC

jackal Jan 3, 2010 4:25 am

Well, I've been following this thread long enough but haven't actually done what the OP asked. Let me go through my 11 pages of apps ;) and I'll list the ones I enjoy or use.

Assistant (PageOnce)
WildWest and TheDeep (pinball games with impressive graphics)
AT&T myWireless (convenient for changing features and international data packages while traveling)
Google Earth (just cool...and free!)
Last Call (no idea if even reasonably accurate, but it gives you an idea of how sober you are ;)
LiveATC
PS Mobile (can really help clean up dark shots from the iPhone's camera)
Wikipanion+ (can queue/cache Wikipedia articles for offline reading...like on a long flight)
Dynolicious (did you know a 739 does 0-60 in 11.27 seconds with .52 Gs and 11,964 HP and does the 1/4 mile in 19.32 seconds? ;))
Google (voice search is impressive)
OpenTable (useful for reservations for FlyerTalk DOs! :D)
Facebook
KAYAK
SoundHound (got it when it was free)
AP Mobile
Mark the Spot (maybe someday AT&T will actually do something about some of the dead zones if enough people report them...)
Pandora
Dragon Dictation
Shazam (got it when it was free; if I had to choose, I'd pick SoundHound)
SuperBall 3 (hey, I have to plug it--my friend wrote it! :D)
Urbanspoon
TripIt
Cheap Gas! (prices are more up-to-date than iGasUp but can sometimes be inaccurate)
Last.fm
Snooth
Kindle (currently reading several free classics like Dracula and Frankenstein [started them around Halloween ;)])

Not sure why I keep the other 134 apps on my phone, since I rarely use them, but whatever...

I'm waiting for Apple to make a move on the Oct. 6 announcement by AT&T that VoIP over data (VoIPoD? ;)) is allowed. :rolleyes: One that happens, I'll probably add one of the VoIP apps to the above list. See my review of them here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...t12619797.html

CApreppie Jan 3, 2010 4:25 pm

Well I keep using that ATT network report application at least once a day and so far my coverage around here still sux. I think the info goes into the trash bin.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Jan 3, 2010 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by CApreppie (Post 13104281)
Well I keep using that ATT network report application at least once a day and so far my coverage around here still sux. I think the info goes into the trash bin.

haha! Me too. I wonder if that app is just a placebo to make us believe they actually care about their coverage.

dtsm Jan 8, 2010 11:53 am

TSA Survey app

Almost as useful as the ATT app to respond to poor 3g but what the heck:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/flying...ot-tsa-survey/

Condition One Jan 8, 2010 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Condition One (Post 12823788)
Has anybody tried OffMaps? It lets you download city maps, allowing you to use them offline (i.e. when roaming overseas) in conjunction with GPS. Seems pretty useful. I'm looking into getting that, but don't know if there's anything better that I should be using.

http://offmaps.com/

Used OffMaps in Dubai and Madrid. I downloaded maps of both cities prior to my trip, and when used in conjunction with GPS and compass mode, worked great!

The only thing I had a problem with was getting a GPS fix without using 3G. As a result, I just left it on and things worked fine. However, every time you get a GPS fix, it incurs about 8Kb of data usage. Over the course of each trip, I used about 150Kb, which at $20/MB, is only a few bucks. Well worth it!

wco81 Jan 9, 2010 9:16 am

I was looking or a packing list app. Was using a spreadsheet that I printed out and checked off with a pen. Thought maybe you could do it in Google Docs but the spreadsheets on the Google app. look nothing like the web page you see on a computer.

Now there are a bunch of list apps. including specifically packing list apps. But I also wanted something that let you create and edit on a computer and then sync to the iPhone app. and one that worked offline (to avoid international data roaming).

So just downloaded Evernote, which is free for the app., free Mac/Windows clients, free web account (they have premium accounts which let you store and do more).

Evernote let's you put in checkboxes, which you can touch in the iPhone to check or uncheck. But the formatting doesn't look that great, it just looks like a text documents with checkboxes, whereas when I copied and pasted in the spreadsheet into an Evernote note, it looked like a nice table/spreadsheet. As soon as it was saved, it looked like plain text both on the web and on the iPhone. Premium account promises to handle spreadsheets better but not interested in paying $5 a month for that (don't want to pay anything ;)).

One thing interesting is that the app. seems to cache the last one or two notes opened. So you can have a note with pictures, like say of maps which are parts of your itinerary.

I uploaded the same PNG files (screen shots of Google Maps and other directions) to TripIt. In the TripIt app., it loads those files each time you want to view it. So without a data connection, you can't see them but with EN, you can see it if you open them before losing the data connection.

EN is a general notes thing so it handles lists or to-do lists okay but probably not as well as some dedicated list apps. But the price and other features may make it worthwhile.

I will know more after my upcoming trip.

GadgetFreak Jan 9, 2010 9:31 am

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 13146203)
I was looking or a packing list app. Was using a spreadsheet that I printed out and checked off with a pen. Thought maybe you could do it in Google Docs but the spreadsheets on the Google app. look nothing like the web page you see on a computer.

Now there are a bunch of list apps. including specifically packing list apps. But I also wanted something that let you create and edit on a computer and then sync to the iPhone app. and one that worked offline (to avoid international data roaming).

So just downloaded Evernote, which is free for the app., free Mac/Windows clients, free web account (they have premium accounts which let you store and do more).

Evernote let's you put in checkboxes, which you can touch in the iPhone to check or uncheck. But the formatting doesn't look that great, it just looks like a text documents with checkboxes, whereas when I copied and pasted in the spreadsheet into an Evernote note, it looked like a nice table/spreadsheet. As soon as it was saved, it looked like plain text both on the web and on the iPhone. Premium account promises to handle spreadsheets better but not interested in paying $5 a month for that (don't want to pay anything ;)).

One thing interesting is that the app. seems to cache the last one or two notes opened. So you can have a note with pictures, like say of maps which are parts of your itinerary.

I uploaded the same PNG files (screen shots of Google Maps and other directions) to TripIt. In the TripIt app., it loads those files each time you want to view it. So without a data connection, you can't see them but with EN, you can see it if you open them before losing the data connection.

EN is a general notes thing so it handles lists or to-do lists okay but probably not as well as some dedicated list apps. But the price and other features may make it worthwhile.

I will know more after my upcoming trip.

I have a paid Evernote account and use it some. But I use SpeedList for packing lists. It is great. It lets you have sublists (I have them for various packing tools such as Eagle Creek folders and pouches carrying things) and copy items or sublists from one list to another. It is really, really nice. I thoroughly recommend it.

alanR Jan 9, 2010 2:31 pm

Anyone got a working app that'll act as a clock radio for BBC radio?

tlvancouver Jan 11, 2010 10:45 am

Being Cdn we don't have the great data packages others have - I use Rogers MyAccount and it keeps track of my minutes and data usage each month (don't get close to my 6GBs but on the talk time it matters).

Also, slingplayer (only works on wifi - still love it!)

exquisitered Jan 11, 2010 12:27 pm

Just got an iPhone for Christmas so this thread is helpful! Can't wait to try out the Google voice search! And I'm already loving Pandora!

One that I don't think I saw mentioned that I am trying out is ESPN ScoreCenter...'cause it's free. Does anyone have any app they like better for checking sports scores? Fortunately for me, I'd just be checking NFL, MLB, NBA...though this has lots of other sports teams (like NHL, NCAA football & basketball, WNBA, soccer, even rugby!) you can add as well.

DMSFCA Jan 11, 2010 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by exquisitered (Post 13159308)
Just got an iPhone for Christmas so this thread is helpful! Can't wait to try out the Google voice search! And I'm already loving Pandora!

One that I don't think I saw mentioned that I am trying out is ESPN ScoreCenter...'cause it's free. Does anyone have any app they like better for checking sports scores? Fortunately for me, I'd just be checking NFL, MLB, NBA...though this has lots of other sports teams (like NHL, NCAA football & basketball, WNBA, soccer, even rugby!) you can add as well.

Also check for the program "ScoreMobile" - also free, good for checking scores!

SAT Lawyer Jan 11, 2010 1:27 pm

My favorite aftermarket apps include (in alphabetical order):
Convertbot
Dragon Dictation
ESPN ScoreCenter
Google
Instapaper
Kayak 1st
MLB At Bat
New York Times
Pandora
Red Laser
Slacker
WiFi Track
XE Currency

exquisitered Jan 14, 2010 9:54 am

Originally Posted by DMSFCA (Post 13159665)
Also check for the program "ScoreMobile" - also free, good for checking scores!

Thx! Downloading it right now. I did also get MLB At Bat...though obviously can't really use that a ton for a couple of months or so. :) MLB is my favorite so I figured I'd give it a go.

Just got Words with Friends too! I'm afraid I'll get too addicted if I get that ATC game everyone's been talking about in here ;)

Larrude Jan 14, 2010 11:07 am

Cartopia

If you are in the market for a used car, this free app is interesting -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LeACYF_-y0

dstan Jan 14, 2010 11:45 am

Wine Vintage Chart / Guide

Can anyone recommend a good Wine Guide app? I have the Wine Spectator Vintage Chart in my wallet, but thought that an app might be really useful for business dinners. There are a number of them available in the App Store, and I'm willing to purchase one, but would appreciate some suggestions.

antichef Jan 14, 2010 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by rofra (Post 13094972)
London? or is there another TFL? :-)
If you're looking for a London public transport app, Malcolm Barclay made some really great apps: Tube Deluxe and London Bus.

^ +1 for Tube Deluxe. Which I use regularly when i go to London. There is also Tube Exits and TubeChanger, which give advice to allow you to know the tricks of a local!

I also regularly use iCarRadio Lite so I can get UK Radio 4 as there is no radio on the iphone, but i can also use it abroad using hotel wifi etc to get my fix!

I have LogMeIn which is great, and PdaNet (jb phone). Also Dropbox, and Shakespeare (the full works free) for travel reading.

CApreppie Jan 14, 2010 9:31 pm

iVideoCamera for 99 cents!!!

It brings full video recording functionality to 3G and 2G iPhones. I never heard of it until I looked at the top 25 paid apps list and it was sitting at #1. I guess it recently came out with an update that has improved the frame rate to where it is pretty good on the low quality setting.

I just shot a couple videos on LQ and you can add it to camera roll, send it to various social networking sites, email it or wifi transfer it to your computer. No MMS capabilities - hopefully that can be addressed in the next update.

Here is a good review of it: http://www.technewsworld.com/story/6...wlc=1263530044

Make sure to buy through your favorite shopping site. UA gives 2 miles per iTunes $, AA gives 3 miles, etc. etc. Good way to extend miles in a lesser-used FF account.

Mooseinmotion Jan 17, 2010 2:51 pm

Just found a cool one. Airside Express. Looks like a free beta. It gives you 1-touch check-in and 1-touch paperless boarding pass recall.

Boraxo Jan 18, 2010 12:15 am

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 13146203)
I

*** EN is a general notes thing so it handles lists or to-do lists okay but probably not as well as some dedicated list apps. But the price and other features may make it worthwhile.

I have been disappointed with evernote. On the plus side, I was able to copy in notes from my Palm backup. On the minus side, I can't seem to edit any of the imported notes on my iPod Touch, which makes the Evernote somewhat useless as most of the notes are lists of various types that I would update on the road. I don't know if this glitch is fixed in the paid version but I'm not about to gamble.

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak (Post 13146271)
I have a paid Evernote account and use it some. But I use SpeedList for packing lists. It is great. It lets you have sublists (I have them for various packing tools such as Eagle Creek folders and pouches carrying things) and copy items or sublists from one list to another. It is really, really nice. I thoroughly recommend it.

For Speedlist, Can you import lists in text format and then edit on the iPhone?

Tuffy Jan 20, 2010 2:21 pm

Bar none, my favorite app is "Ratio" by Michael Ruhlman, the chef extraordinaire. It's pricey, but invaluable for people who love to cook without strict recipe's.

Proark Jan 21, 2010 3:00 pm

I will be heading to Japan in October... any recommendations on apps for getting around or is the map feature the best they have.

adambadam Jan 21, 2010 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Proark (Post 13228171)
I will be heading to Japan in October... any recommendations on apps for getting around or is the map feature the best they have.

No specific suggestions per se though are you looking for something more like a guide to Tokyo's subways or a full on map of all Japan? Keep in mind that if you use the built in map you will end up paying the roaming rates for data which is not exactly cheap.

Proark Jan 22, 2010 7:19 am

That was going to be my next question about the data roaming. I will probably pay for international usage for the month that I am visiting (figure it will be worth it for the 11 days I am there). As for what I am looking for exactly it would be something that helps me easily navigate the streets by walking and helping me find good local places to visit (the museums and tourist places I know about). When going on the public transportation I generally can get by (at least I hope the New Yorker in me hasn't been flushed completely out in Houston) but once I get off the train I find the map function on the iPhone to be great here in the states. Just didn't know if there was a good one for Japan that people found that highlighted good restaurants/bars/local spots that kind of thing.

dtsm Jan 26, 2010 10:46 am

Google Voice

Back via the web browser
http://www.google.com/mobile/voice/

rofra Jan 26, 2010 10:48 am

Originally Posted by dtsm (Post 13260185)
Back via the web browser
http://www.google.com/mobile/voice/

^

But VoiceCentral (still beta) looks much better - like a native app.