FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   [archived] Favorite iPhone/iPad applications (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/848219-archived-favorite-iphone-ipad-applications.html)

SRQ Guy Jan 21, 2009 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by adambadam (Post 11117128)
Does this actually work? I have been having lots of apps crashing on me as of late and I usually have to restart the phone every couple days to make it hold off. I know it is the OS and not the app since even some of Apples apps keep crashing ( :td::td: to Safari)

It's worked for me so far. It gives you a ~20MB increase in available runtime memory by closing up unused apps that didn't release their memory.

pdxer Jan 21, 2009 4:59 pm

Does this actually work?

not really.

I have been having lots of apps crashing on me as of late and I usually have to restart the phone every couple days to make it hold off. I know it is the OS and not the app since even some of Apples apps keep crashing ( :td::td: to Safari)
apple's apps are like any other app and if they crash, it's the app's fault. on the other hand, if the phone itself locks up, freezes, etc. it's the os.

there are a lot of apps that crash, including ones from apple. nothing is perfect. safari has gotten better but it still crashes on occasion, mainly due to it being fed nonstandard html.

ijkh Jan 29, 2009 5:05 pm

Favorite Apps

I use an I touch
Sol Free - Solitaire. Real time waster and free
Pandora - start with your favorite obscure song
The Weather Channel

Trouble with Urban Spoon is that it only works in the US. Tried to use it in San Miguel Allende without luck :p

I loved surfing while on the First Class ETN Bus in Mexico from Guanajuato to Guadalajara. The bus had free WIFI. So awesome to be chatting with friends from the middle of nowhere.

KENNECTED Jan 31, 2009 8:27 am

My Faves. They are all free!

21 Pro Blackjack
AOL Radio
AstroTilt
Aurora feint the beginning (Very addictive)
Check Please
One Tap
Tris (no longer available)
Where
WiFinder

cblaisd Jan 31, 2009 10:29 am

Pageonce
SimCity
EasyWriter
FlightStats

So many more things available after having jailbroken!

choster Jan 31, 2009 11:24 am

Trailguru - records your travel path including time stopped vs. moving, distance, speed, and elevation change, and lets you draw your tracks on a Google map. As its name implies, it was originally geared to hikers, but works perfectly well for cycling, jogging, or just driving around town.

Air Sharing - makes it easy to transfer files, and lets me store and read PDFs of things like train schedules without having to go online.

For the jailbroken:

PDAnet - allows you to tether a laptop via an ad-hoc wireless network or the USB cable (the latter requires some software be installed on the laptop).

SBSettings - quick access to phone settings; just swiping your finger across the top of the screen lets you turn on/off 3G, Bluetooth, WiFi, and so on; adjust brightness, or restart; and see your IP address, free disk space, etc. Faster access than BossPrefs, although unlike the latter you cannot shut off push to individual e-mail accounts.

SRQ Guy Feb 16, 2009 9:26 am

I just added Full-Screen Browser. It's like the previous Edge browser, except you can shake the iphone to bring up navigation buttons and address bar.

onlysuites Mar 11, 2009 11:50 am

Flight Status - Shows you Arrival and Departure times of a particular flight, check on all flights on a certain route and also you can check arrivals for a airport for a time frame specified. Very handy for the frequent traveler.

Next flight - Does what its says. Lets you know the next flight and if its on time.

cblaisd Mar 11, 2009 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by lallyr (Post 11397893)
Flight Status - Shows you Arrival and Departure times of a particular flight, check on all flights on a certain route and also you can check arrivals for a airport for a time frame specified. Very handy for the frequent traveler.

If that's a pay app, it doesn't sound like it does any more than what you can do for free via mobile.flightstats.com

Originally Posted by choster (Post 11176618)
PDAnet - allows you to tether a laptop via an ad-hoc wireless network or the USB cable (the latter requires some software be installed on the laptop).

Agree. Fantastic app that "just works." I had their version for the Treo and am very happy with the iphone version.

CApreppie Mar 11, 2009 11:50 pm

Does this actually work? I have been having lots of apps crashing on me as of late and I usually have to restart the phone every couple days to make it hold off. I know it is the OS and not the app since even some of Apples apps keep crashing ( :td::td: to Safari)

Safari is problematic. I have found that holding the Home button down forces a hard close. Makes sure it doesn't continue hogging memory. I have found if I do that occasionally, it never seems to crash.

onlysuites Mar 12, 2009 12:05 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 11398453)
If that's a pay app, it doesn't sound like it does any more than what you can do for free via mobile.flightstats.com

Agree. Fantastic app that "just works." I had their version for the Treo and am very happy with the iphone version.

I guess it doesn't. But it is quicker then having to load a web page and then enter the flight details. Its got a nice user friendly interface. Anyway it wasn't expensive.

Does flight stats give you Airport info? I haven't used flight stats that much. eg; Flights due to land between 2pm-5pm. So you can see how much delay there is at a certain airport?

pdxer Mar 12, 2009 9:44 am

Originally Posted by lallyr (Post 11401634)
Does flight stats give you Airport info? I haven't used flight stats that much. eg; Flights due to land between 2pm-5pm. So you can see how much delay there is at a certain airport?

i use a free app called airportstatus to show delays at various airports.

itunes link:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...287350070&mt=8

onlysuites Mar 12, 2009 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by pdxer (Post 11403221)
i use a free app called airportstatus to show delays at various airports.

itunes link:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...287350070&mt=8

Its handy but only works for North America. Flight status works for any airport across the world. Its $4.99 via iTunes.

adambadam Mar 12, 2009 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by lallyr (Post 11401634)
I guess it doesn't. But it is quicker then having to load a web page and then enter the flight details. Its got a nice user friendly interface. Anyway it wasn't expensive.

Yes, it does have airport info. It feeds into both their own records and anything issued by the FAA. It will even give you a tiny little map if you want it.

Check out the site on the computer if you want even. http://mobile.flightstats.com/go/Mobile/ its a nice light version of the full FlightStats Web site.

onlysuites Mar 13, 2009 12:35 am

Originally Posted by adambadam (Post 11405638)
Yes, it does have airport info. It feeds into both their own records and anything issued by the FAA. It will even give you a tiny little map if you want it.

Check out the site on the computer if you want even. http://mobile.flightstats.com/go/Mobile/ its a nice light version of the full FlightStats Web site.

Cool. Thanks.

goalie Mar 13, 2009 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by lallyr (Post 11404118)
Its handy but only works for North America. Flight status works for any airport across the world. Its $4.99 via iTunes.

for u.s. airports you can also use the faa website

map version

text version

alexshore Mar 14, 2009 5:43 am

FlightOptions for flight scheduling/alternate flight plan

Check out FlightOptions, recently became available in the App Store for .99. It provides a graphical view of alternate flights between any two airports.

FFMilesJunkie Mar 28, 2009 7:07 am

Just downloaded a new game that's a lot of fun (and airplane related). It's called FlightControl and it's 99cents. It reminds of an old shareware game from years ago called ATC.

In this game you have to safely guide airplanes (large and small/slow and fast) and choppers to the appropriate runways. It's not a complicated game, but it's a great way to waste some time.

Paulista Mar 28, 2009 7:54 am

* Rewards Network app: this is a great tool for finding Rewards Network restaurants (AA Dining program, Skymiles dining etc). If you have a 3G Iphone the GPS makes things immensely easier.
* Bloomberg: the new version enables Bloomberg messaging!
* Istockmanager: probably my favorite. If you have a TDAmeritrade account, you will be able to trade via your Iphone. The application is very well designed and makes trading a breeze. You can even trade options.

adambadam Mar 29, 2009 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie (Post 11488574)
Just downloaded a new game that's a lot of fun (and airplane related). It's called FlightControl and it's 99cents. It reminds of an old shareware game from years ago called ATC.

In this game you have to safely guide airplanes (large and small/slow and fast) and choppers to the appropriate runways. It's not a complicated game, but it's a great way to waste some time.

I downloaded this game after reading your review. This is my new favorite game on the iPhone. It is simple, fun and addictive.

hiflyer66 Mar 29, 2009 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by adambadam (Post 11494259)
I downloaded this game after reading your review. This is my new favorite game on the iPhone. It is simple, fun and addictive.

My wife thinks I am nuts...but I just scored a 70. Anybody beat that yet? :cool:

cblaisd Mar 30, 2009 3:55 am

Wow. That's two hours of my life that I could have done something else with.

High so far -- 44

Addictive.

The first 5 or 6 planes are kind of predictable but then it gets fast and furious.

FFMilesJunkie Mar 30, 2009 11:39 am

I've made it to 64 safe landings. Now my wife is more addicted than I am.

I feel sorry for anyone on any of the planes when I play. Enough zigzags and close calls to make even the most experienced flier grab for the sick bag!

sefrischling Mar 30, 2009 12:44 pm

I write up an iPhone App of the week for travellers each week, usually Thursday, on Flying With Fish (www.flyingwithfish.com)

You can find the App of the Week here:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/flyingwithfish/?s=iphone

keith1569 Mar 30, 2009 12:47 pm

i love Shazam and pandora!!

meducate Mar 30, 2009 3:19 pm

The DirecTV app is very cool. I can program my DVRs from wherever I am! Just awesome!

QuietLion Mar 31, 2009 11:25 am

Crayon Physics -- great game to play on flights.

QL

SRQ Guy Mar 31, 2009 12:08 pm

Flight Control RAWKS dude.

dukesnoopy Mar 31, 2009 10:00 pm

Fieldrunners!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Fieldrunners - great fun and addictive game, best tower-defense game out there. TapDefense is a good free alternative too...

onlysuites Apr 1, 2009 2:03 am

Flight stunts - You need to fly various planes through different obstacles. Great waste of time.

MichaelColey Apr 1, 2009 6:24 am

Kayak and Expedia both have apps now.

stimpy Apr 1, 2009 6:25 am

As of this week my new favorite, and it seems to be the most popular on the App Store now, Skype! Finally!!!

onlysuites Apr 1, 2009 6:28 am

Originally Posted by MichaelColey (Post 11509485)
Kayak and Expedia both have apps now.

Where did you find Expedia? I can't see it on App store.

nmenaker Apr 1, 2009 12:23 pm

Use pandora often
Use EVERNOTE daily
Use the Directv app often now (used to use the mobile website link)
Use ebay often
Will use slingplayer daily.!!!

onlysuites Apr 2, 2009 11:47 am

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy (Post 11505032)
Flight Control RAWKS dude.

Agree. Very addictive.

How is Skype working out for everyone else? I have tried it a couple of times and it cuts the call within a minute.

adambadam Apr 2, 2009 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by lallyr (Post 11517465)
How is Skype working out for everyone else? I have tried it a couple of times and it cuts the call within a minute.

Is your phone jailbroken? If so you have to load up cydia and install an update to get it to work right. Otherwise it should be working normally and you may just have a bunk phone.

onlysuites Apr 3, 2009 1:30 am

Originally Posted by adambadam (Post 11518105)
Is your phone jailbroken? If so you have to load up cydia and install an update to get it to work right. Otherwise it should be working normally and you may just have a bunk phone.

Yes my phone is Jail broken and I have Cydia installed. What is the update called?

I tried it again last night and it works fine for the first 30-40 secs then cuts out. Its not my wi-fi so looks like a bug with the software.

stimpy Apr 3, 2009 9:56 am

Originally Posted by lallyr (Post 11520999)
Yes my phone is Jail broken and I have Cydia installed. What is the update called?

I tried it again last night and it works fine for the first 30-40 secs then cuts out. Its not my wi-fi so looks like a bug with the software.

When I ran Cydia a few days ago, it told me there was a new update for Cydia itself, and a substrate layer that is important for Skype. So I loaded it, then loaded Skype from the App Store and all is working super.

I am at the beach in northeast Italy now, and I just used iPhone Skype to call someone in California over the free wifi they have in Jesolo. Crystal clear sound on both ends. ^^^

The only thing that I can't seem to get with iPhone Skype are stored voice mails from my main Skype acct.

jeffreyt Apr 3, 2009 10:44 am

I love Flight Control.

stimpy Apr 3, 2009 11:04 am

Just to be clear, since there have been questions, I have an old first gen iPhone, unlocked and jailbroken, running version 2.2. When I ran Cydia earlier this week, it prompted me to load the updates necessary to use Skype.

If you still can't get it to work after loading the necessary update from Cydia, try doing a full reboot of your phone, then run Skype before loading any other app. If that doesn't work, try removing apps until it does work.