Search

I hate pocket PC - and not for the reason you might think

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2004, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN Platinum
I hate pocket PC - and not for the reason you might think

I bought an HP iPQA 4355 from CostCo to play around with and compare to my Palm/Treo devices.

I hate it!

Unfortunately, for the most part, I love its cool features - Bluetooth, WLAN, etc etc.

But the one thing I can't stand is that it forces you to use Outlook.

I have a corporate outlook profile that I use, and it's bloated and sucks.

I love the Palm because I can use it for my personal PIM, and easily keep my personal data separate from work. (I do believe in a firewall between work and personal things).

Is there a way to use the Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC (or whatever the heck it's called) without syncing to Outlook?
Old Mar 19, 2004, 2:55 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UALOneKPlus:
But the one thing I can't stand is that it forces you to use Outlook.</font>
Amen to that! (And the Outlook version that's on the PocketPC is too small and watered-down to be useful.)

I kinda-sorta asked the same question in this forum recently, but specifically with respect to an alternative to Outlook's calendar. See this thread for the helpful responses.

(I investigate the "Time and Chaos" product that was recommended - looks pretty cool, but it doesn't meet my needs, unfortunately. So I'm still considering what to do, but perhaps this will work for you.)
Old Mar 19, 2004, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA General Member
Don't you just tell ActiveSync not to sync your contacts, email, etc... As for another mail client, I'm pretty sure it's been discussed here before, but since I'm not religous about my MUA I haven't paid attention.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Make a contacts folder for "Personal Contacts", can't you then re-direct the newer ActiveSync to sync from that folder?
Old Mar 20, 2004, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN Platinum
Thanks for the suggestions all.

I returned it to CostCo because it would be too much trouble to work around it. I love the Palm PIM too much, I guess...

Hopefully Microsoft will offer a stand-alone PIM in the future.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 9:28 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Did you try using Intellisync?
Old Mar 21, 2004, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Well, I do use Outlook on my PC but agree about Pocket Outlook. I use the built in Pocket PC mail client and love it. It is probably the main reason I use PPC at all. For a calendar and contacts on the IPAQ I use Agenda Fusion and Pocket Informant rather than the built in Outlook. I find them much superior. For tasks I use LifeBalance on a Palm (Treo90) platform.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.