FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   recommended wired headset? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/2074270-recommended-wired-headset.html)

ikwia Apr 2, 2022 10:04 am

recommended wired headset?

I am looking for a wired headset or earbuds (including microphone) for use while on travel. I would prefer a traditional 3.5mm plug, but would consider one with a USB connection. Does anyone have any suggestions for something that works well and is easy to travel with? This is just for VTCs, so sound quality isn't super important.

david55 Apr 2, 2022 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by ikwia (Post 34129966)
I am looking for a wired headset or earbuds (including microphone) for use while on travel. I would prefer a traditional RCA plug, but would consider one with a USB connection. Does anyone have any suggestions for something that works well and is easy to travel with? This is just for VTCs, so sound quality isn't super important.

Not sure it comes with a mike...but I have used Koss Porto-Pro for over a decade now. I don't like feeling headsets on my ears....and these are really almost weightless. The sound is decent. They do not block outside sound.....so when my husband calls me because he can't figure our something on the TV.... I can hear him. :)

ikwia Apr 2, 2022 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by david55 (Post 34130614)
Not sure it comes with a mike...but I have used Koss Porto-Pro for over a decade now. I don't like feeling headsets on my ears....and these are really almost weightless. The sound is decent. They do not block outside sound.....so when my husband calls me because he can't figure our something on the TV.... I can hear him. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. It doesn't look like they have a version with a microphone. I do like the travel case, though, which looks to be pretty compact.

StuckInYYZ Apr 2, 2022 5:46 pm

Is your preference headphones or buds? Plantronics has quite a few that I have used over the years (USB... only catch is that they tend to wear out with regular use). When I'm travelling, I use my QC25s, but that seems a bit much for what you're implying they're going to be used for (I just have them to use on the plane)

Need Apr 3, 2022 9:51 am

That's what our work gave us to use at home for meetings. The mic quality is amazing comparing to all the other cheaper headsets/earbuds I got. The headphones are also very comfortable. I could be in a meeting for 2 to 3 hours and it doesn't bother me. I have big head and most headphones hurt my ears if I wear them for too long. I use the USB-A connection but you could unplug that part and just use the 3.5mm jack. And the headset folds flat to go into my laptop backpack.

ikwia Apr 8, 2022 10:48 am

Sorry for being absent from my own thread for so long...things got crazy this week.

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ (Post 34131116)
Is your preference headphones or buds? Plantronics has quite a few that I have used over the years (USB... only catch is that they tend to wear out with regular use). When I'm travelling, I use my QC25s, but that seems a bit much for what you're implying they're going to be used for (I just have them to use on the plane)

I don't really have a preference. It seems that headphones are better for positioning the microphone in a good place. However, I suspect that I won't find headphones that are durable and compact enough for travel. QC25s are definitely overkill for what I'm looking for (I have nice Etymotics for actual listening). My current thinking is that they're all going to wear out from the rigors of travel so I am likely better off buying something inexpensive and understanding that I will need to replace it sooner than I may like.

Originally Posted by Need (Post 34132715)
https://www.amazon.com/Jabra-Evolve-...dp/B00ODRSHZ6/

That's what our work gave us to use at home for meetings. The mic quality is amazing comparing to all the other cheaper headsets/earbuds I got. The headphones are also very comfortable. I could be in a meeting for 2 to 3 hours and it doesn't bother me. I have big head and most headphones hurt my ears if I wear them for too long. I use the USB-A connection but you could unplug that part and just use the 3.5mm jack. And the headset folds flat to go into my laptop backpack.

That looks like a nice unit. Does it come with a case? Or does it really survive in your backpack without additional protection?

StuckInYYZ Apr 8, 2022 11:24 am

Originally Posted by ikwia (Post 34148527)
I don't really have a preference. It seems that headphones are better for positioning the microphone in a good place. However, I suspect that I won't find headphones that are durable and compact enough for travel. QC25s are definitely overkill for what I'm looking for (I have nice Etymotics for actual listening). My current thinking is that they're all going to wear out from the rigors of travel so I am likely better off buying something inexpensive and understanding that I will need to replace it sooner than I may like.

This is the model provided to most of our staff... https://www.staples.ca/products/3019...-usb-a-headset (NOTE: Canadian site)

It's not bad, but I try not to wear it for too long. If I'm in my hotel room (or at home), I'll just use the laptop audio instead of the headset. It comes with a soft pouch so would not stand a lot of throwing around (although I generally pack it in with my laptop so I'm not throwing the backpack around a lot). The version I have, the pads are covered in a plastic skin type membrane to help deal with the sweat from long periods of use, but it appears the version used in the picture doesn't have that feature.

Originally Posted by ikwia (Post 34148527)
That looks like a nice unit. Does it come with a case? Or does it really survive in your backpack without additional protection?

Most will come with a soft case in my experience.

ikwia Apr 8, 2022 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ (Post 34148650)
Most will come with a soft case in my experience.

Thanks for the product link. I don't think a soft case will be adequate for me but I will try to check out some of them in person.

StuckInYYZ Apr 8, 2022 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by ikwia (Post 34148899)
Thanks for the product link. I don't think a soft case will be adequate for me but I will try to check out some of them in person.

Honestly though, the case is likely the least of your worries. I say that because the case can be improvised if necessary. I'd be more concerned with finding a decent headset that you can live with. A solid case should not be too much of an issue to grab.

Mackmaven Apr 9, 2022 4:11 am

I’ve been traveling and doing zoom calls with the Bose Quietconfort 20 wired earbuds for years. They’re brilliant and the noise cancelling is a big bonus. I just ordered a refurbished pair since Bose has moved on to wireless earbuds

bchandler02 Apr 10, 2022 8:52 am

Anything from Jabra or Plantronics/Poly should be good, just pick the style that fits you best.
I use a mix of bluetooth headsets/earbuds when on the road as well as a wired USB headset for calls from my PC.

ikwia Apr 10, 2022 12:35 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. I think I'm going to try an inexpensive earbud-style unit and see how those work for me. If they end up being adequate, that's great. If not, it will only be a small loss and I can try another option.

ikwia Apr 28, 2022 11:22 am

I ended up getting the wired earbuds with microphone, and I am very happy with my selection. They are only $12 on Amazon, and they are actually pretty nice quality. All the wires have braided nylon jackets so they don't really tangle. Sounds quality is great (remember, I am using them for telecons, not music) and the microphone works well...I don't need to hold it up to my mouth or anything. The storage pouch they came with is simple but adequate. I highly recommend these for anyone with requirements similar to mine.

StuckInYYZ Apr 28, 2022 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by ikwia (Post 34204317)
I ended up getting the Ludos Auris wired earbuds with microphone, and I am very happy with my selection. They are only $12 on Amazon, and they are actually pretty nice quality. All the wires have braided nylon jackets so they don't really tangle. Sounds quality is great (remember, I am using them for telecons, not music) and the microphone works well...I don't need to hold it up to my mouth or anything. The storage pouch they came with is simple but adequate. I highly recommend these for anyone with requirements similar to mine.

Glad to hear it ('scuse the pun). Curious though, can you buy replacement ear pieces? My beef with earphones is that the earpieces eventually degrade or fall off the earphone.

jsnydcsa Apr 29, 2022 10:13 am

How about the "pre-Lightning" Apple iPhone earbuds (or their Chinese equivalent)? Even though all my family's and work iDevices are now lightning, we still have a bunch of the "old style" headsets around from previous iterations when Apple gave you headset and a charger with every device. I use mine on Win laptops all the time with very good sound quality (per people on the other end).