FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   recommended wired headset? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/2074270-recommended-wired-headset.html)

ikwia Apr 30, 2022 6:39 am

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ (Post 34205801)
Glad to hear it ('scuse the pun). Curious though, can you buy replacement ear pieces? My beef with earphones is that the earpieces eventually degrade or fall off the earphone.

I am not sure if you can buy replacements. It came with several extra, but I didn't look at them carefully to see if they're the same or different sizes. I am not home now so cannot check. I should also mention that it came with a whole second set of earbuds, so at $12 for 2 pair plus some extras, I won't be too upset if/when the ear pieces die. Plus I expect to get decent like out of them since I don't plan to use them all that often. My Etymotic ear pieces, btw, used to last me well over a year, and that was using them 30+ hours in a typical week. I know those are a different class in terms of quality, but still.

ikwia Apr 30, 2022 6:41 am

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa (Post 34206919)
How about the "pre-Lightning" Apple iPhone earbuds (or their Chinese equivalent)? Even though all my family's and work iDevices are now lightning, we still have a bunch of the "old style" headsets around from previous iterations when Apple gave you headset and a charger with every device. I use mine on Win laptops all the time with very good sound quality (per people on the other end).

I thought about that, but I don't have any extra as I am an Android user. I probably have some old sets from prior phones, but none that I could easily find. I didn't specifically hunt down this style, but I didn't see any listed on Amazon.

chrisrozon Apr 30, 2022 8:33 am

Monoprice.com wa my go to source for good quality semi disposable earbuds for years (until I joined the AirPods train.)

Dread Pirate Jeff May 3, 2022 4:32 am

Are you sure you want something with an RCA plug? Or did you mean the standard 3.5mm stereo plug?

anyway, it's pricy but I use the Bose QC-20 earbuds for travel. The ANC is hard to beat, and they work well for video and phone calls as well. I use mine on the plane for quiet and then as a headset once I get where I'm going.

They hold up well too, I've had two sets, and the current set has lasted several years worth of international travel and then nearly daily use for work meetings.

I stick with them also because in addition to the ANC being very good, they're the only earbud model I've found that has a battery that will last for an entire 14 hour trans-pacific long haul. I can turn them in as we back off the gate in the US and they're still working when I land later at NRT or TPE without needing a recharge.

ikwia May 4, 2022 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff (Post 34216554)
Are you sure you want something with an RCA plug? Or did you mean the standard 3.5mm stereo plug?

anyway, it's pricy but I use the Bose QC-20 earbuds for travel. The ANC is hard to beat, and they work well for video and phone calls as well. I use mine on the plane for quiet and then as a headset once I get where I'm going.

You are correct, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that. I corrected it so future readers aren't misled. The Bose are definitely nice, but I explicitly do not want to deal with a battery for this particular application.

vletnguyen May 6, 2022 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by ikwia (Post 34221197)
You are correct, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that. I corrected it so future readers aren't misled. The Bose are definitely nice, but I explicitly do not want to deal with a battery for this particular application.

You can use it without battery on but you'll lose active noise cancelling. It's a nice feature , in case you forgot to charge it or only want to use one side.