FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Am I screwed - Skype - what the heck (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1985289-am-i-screwed-skype-what-heck.html)

SkiAdcock Aug 30, 2019 10:30 pm

Am I screwed - Skype - what the heck

I used to be active on Skype but not in (ok 2 years).

Decide to Skype a FT friend & did a week ago. All contacts showing. But before I did, some message re: current Skype being out of date & to upgrade which I think I ignored. Spent 30 minutes w/ FT friend. No worries. See other contacts online on Skype, Again, no worries.

Yesterday I decide to try & Skype another friend & it again says my version no longer supported & to update. So I did - expecting my handle & all my contacts to go w/ the update. Color me surprised, stunned, upset, when after the update I have zero contacts & even the way of finding me is not via my name or handle but some bs about live.................. (periods mine & not FT) & not the way people used to find me before. Heck, even now trying to find my friends & biz colleagues not the same as before.

Is there anyway of getting all my contacts back from pre-upgrade? Also, is there anyway of having my contact not be live........................?

Thank you Microsoft - not.

PS - you all know (well the long term FTers know) I'm not technically literate(understatement of century) but when I update things (other software) everything transfers over. What the heck this time?

Cheers.

antichef Aug 31, 2019 12:57 pm

Just checked my Skype - had to turn on and sign in as I tend to predominantly use other call systems now.

Sent you a message on Skype, but will try and call and assist but don't know what has happened to your system. At a guess the software asks for access to your contacts and you will have to give that consent before they appear.

On the Skype home page there will be a picture representing you (on iphone it is in middle at the top of the page). Tap to enter. At bottom on the next page is "Settings", tap that ans then on next page is "Contacts". Go to that and there is a "Sync your contacts" slide. Put that on and see what happens!

The reference to "live" is a microsoft thing. Thinking back, about a year or so ago when I tried to sign into skype it required me to sign up for a "microsoft live" account whereas before that I had just signed in with a user name. You are still appearing with the same user name.

moondog Aug 31, 2019 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 31475598)
I used to be active on Skype but not in (ok 2 years).

To come to think of it, I also haven't touched Skype (or MSN) in about 2 years. I guess they stood still while better alternatives did not.

Tanic Aug 31, 2019 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 31475598)
Is there anyway of getting all my contacts back from pre-upgrade? Also, is there anyway of having my contact not be live?

Can you use Skype on a different device? Laptop, phone, tablet etc. Even if your primary device lost the contact list, it ought remain on other Skype devices.