Search

Samsung Galaxy S10

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Samsung Galaxy S10

Pre-ordered last week at Best Buy for Friday pick-up.

I was hoping to keep my S7s until this iteration, but technical issues forced me into buying S9s. Fortunately, my final OOP cost for the S9s was around $300 each, so the $550 trade-in offer from Best Buy is too good to pass up. I'm wary of how well the in-screen fingerprint scanner will work; however, since I typically have a wearable on me, I can use SmartLock the majority of the time.

The reviews for the Galaxy Buds have been very good, so I'm looking forward to trying those.

I have phone cases and a new 128GB U3 card arriving tomorrow in preparation for my new purchase.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Nice, looking forward to some real-world reviews on the device, especially glass screen protectors which are supposedly compatible with the in-screen fingerprint reader.

I upgraded from an S6 to S9 earlier this year with an OOP cost of $250 and I'm on a 3 year cycle, so I'm eagerly awaiting the S12
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:38 pm

I have a Note 8 that still does everything I need and is plenty fast. I was thinking that I'd look at the Note 10 when it came out, but it's going to be hard to justify. My Note 8 is still in excellent condition and the battery life is great.

Maybe next year ...
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Nice, looking forward to some real-world reviews on the device, especially glass screen protectors which are supposedly compatible with the in-screen fingerprint reader.
I actually didn't buy glass screen protectors for our S9s, and they have survived many drops on unforgiving surfaces without issues. Although Samsung will pre-install a plastic one, I will definitely keep my eyes out for proven glass screen protectors. I'm not as worried about scratches as I am as being able to diffuse potential cracks through the screen protector.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:10 pm

I never had a screen protector on my S6 and had no issues with a few drops here and there. I'm just a little more paranoid with the S9 since it has the Edge screen and is a little more exposed on the (ahem) edges than my non-Edge S6 - hence the glass screen protector to diffuse the impact, as well.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I was doing the math to see if it was worth it to get the S10. I have the S9 that I still owe $466 from when I bought it last April. I would like to give the S10 a try but will wait a few months.

As a side note, I don't have a screen protector for my S9 and I have dropped it a few times. My case has helped. I had a protector on my S8 and it it didn't help at all.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:55 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I ordered an S10+ from John Lewis in the UK. They say on their website that if you order by 5th March, you receive the phone on launch day (I ordered by last week).

I got an email yesterday saying it would be delivered 6th April !!!!!

Not sure if that's just a mistake, but I'll be annoyed if it's correct. There is also no way to cancel the order online, I have to phone.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I actually didn't buy glass screen protectors for our S9s, and they have survived many drops on unforgiving surfaces without issues. Although Samsung will pre-install a plastic one, I will definitely keep my eyes out for proven glass screen protectors. I'm not as worried about scratches as I am as being able to diffuse potential cracks through the screen protector.
Ooooh, I hope you don't live to regret saying that, you know what the fates can be like !
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Was actually able to hold and play with an S10e in DXB last week. I'll be upgrading my S7 asap, hoping T-Mobile comes up with a better deal soon!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I ordered an S10+ from John Lewis in the UK. They say on their website that if you order by 5th March, you receive the phone on launch day (I ordered by last week).

I got an email yesterday saying it would be delivered 6th April !!!!!

Not sure if that's just a mistake, but I'll be annoyed if it's correct. There is also no way to cancel the order online, I have to phone.
Well, no dispatch notice, so I reckon I won't be getting it on launch day as promised.

They've got me by the balls, as the only way to get the free Galaxy Buds was to pre-order.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Well, no dispatch notice, so I reckon I won't be getting it on launch day as promised.

They've got me by the balls, as the only way to get the free Galaxy Buds was to pre-order.
That's poor form from John Lewis and "partners". I don't think it is the same as it used to be as I had an "issue" with the machine not vending my gratis coffee in Waitrose (yes I know they like to pretend they are separate) despite me swiping my card and it not vending, then swiped again and coffee machine said "no" - then explaining the gory details to a "partner" what had happened and got "you must have had a coffee as the system doesn't work like that". I couldn't be bothered to get a manager involved at the time but wish I had as I am annoyed as I type it! Anyway, good luck with finding someone that can help - I am sure they must exist, they just avoid me.

ETA: Saw your other thread about EK22 - you're not having much luck at the moment ! If it helps I just shaved my head and the shower was like a scene out of Psycho as I slipped, took a divot out of my head, and am trying to stem the blood! I'm having a pint at lunchtime where I am, alcohol has never failed me !
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
ETA: Saw your other thread about EK22 - you're not having much luck at the moment ! If it helps I just shaved my head and the shower was like a scene out of Psycho as I slipped, took a divot out of my head, and am trying to stem the blood! I'm having a pint at lunchtime where I am, alcohol has never failed me !
This is the most bizarre off topic diversion ever... but I too am follically challenged. My missus recently decided that the Gillette blades I use were too expensive, so bought me the Aldi equivalent ("they all get made in the same factory" - yeah, right). I removed half my scalp with the blighters, and was picking scabs for the next 2 weeks.

I also tried one of those online places (I think it was Harry's). Great on the face, terrible on the head (didn't cut, but not close enough shave).

Back to Gillette for me... although I do think they have made the blades wear out quicker. I used to get a couple of weeks, but it's now down to a week.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:38 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Until Samsung offers a razor app on their phones let's try to keep the thread focused on the S10.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Moderator2
Until Samsung offers a razor app on their phones let's try to keep the thread focused on the S10.
There's plenty prank ones out there! Fair point though and duly noted. ^
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:56 am

Not planning on getting the S10, but I must say that I am very much enjoying all the wallpapers utilizing the punch-out camera!
https://www.reddit.com/r/S10wallpapers/

https://external-preview.redd.it/Xh5...=webp&3bfe7e1f
https://i.redd.it/69ctvssj4tk21.png
https://preview.redd.it/x6i2yny2isk2...=webp&fdae6816
DYKWIA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.