Reload this Page >

Hate the new gmail format

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:40 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Well, just like they did with Google Maps a few years ago, Gmail's interface has changed to something that conveys far less information and is far more annoying.

And the option on my settings/gear icon no longer has the "switch back to classic" view.

Sigh.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
It took a bit of getting used to but it seems okay to me now. The biggest thing I had trouble with was the placement of the buttons that appear when you have a message open; I was clicking on the wrong ones for a while.

One positive thing about the move: it seems to have some sort of autocomplete support while typing messages now.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:41 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Regardless of the interface GMAIL uses, I've forwarded all my personal gmail e-mails to my secondary e-mail at outlook.com. It's a much better interface IMHO.

At work, we use G Suite for Business and most staff almost never use the Gmail interface. Almost everybody uses Outlook as their mail client.

We hate gmail so much that we are switching to Office 365 e-mail. Now I can finally accept meeting invitations within the Outlook mail client (which is designed to work with Office 365/Exchange in the first place) and have it update my calendar!
Reds2011 and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Now that I am an old fart I hate change

I had my multiple inboxes setup exactly how I wanted them and now they don't work properly.

Excuse me -- something important I have to go do -- "Hey you kid, get off of my lawn!"
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Hate the new Gmail

I think you can reverse it by going to settings and clicking on restore the old format. I did it on both my gmail accounts as well as my daughter's. It was the first time in her adult life that I knew more than she did about computers. I felt chuffed!
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I am told the reverse method you describe only works for so many days after the implementation. According to my friend (who raised this with me today) this is what they were doing and the option has now gone away resulting in them being stuck with the new format.

I checked their settings and there is no "restore old format". An online search shows that by October the revert to previous will be gone for everyone - so enjoy it whilst you can!

Last edited by antichef; Sep 28, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Damn. I ate the new format too
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by kcreedy
Damn. I ate the new format too
I am sure that is just a spellin mistak
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:50 pm

The format is fine. But, it seems slow to me. I delete an email and the thing can take 3 to 20 seconds to refresh the screen.
Silver Fox, Marschel and kcreedy like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:26 pm

I very much like the fact that you can now pin the calendar pane to the right side. I was using the Outlook plugin previously but that is seriously f'ed.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:57 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daniellam
Regardless of the interface GMAIL uses, I've forwarded all my personal gmail e-mails to my secondary e-mail at outlook.com. It's a much better interface IMHO.
Outlook is the one program I hate even more. I use Time and Chaos as my calendar program and Pegasus Mail for my pop3 mail -- and have used both since the mid-'90s.

I won't even start on all the ways that I despise Outlook's behavior (at least still with the new gmail, I can still see the actual email address instead of having Outlook strip that out so many times so that one can't copy and paste it).

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Now that I am an old fart I hate change

I had my multiple inboxes setup exactly how I wanted them and now they don't work properly.
+1

Originally Posted by antichef
...there is no "restore old format". An online search shows that by October the revert to previous will be gone for everyone - so enjoy it whilst you can!
I wish I could, but no restore for me either.

Originally Posted by MrTemporal
The format is fine. But, it seems slow to me. I delete an email and the thing can take 3 to 20 seconds to refresh the screen.
Yes. Very tempted to switch the the html version of gmail.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I won't even start on all the ways that I despise Outlook's behavior (at least still with the new gmail, I can still see the actual email address instead of having Outlook strip that out so many times so that one can't copy and paste it).
Email address shows right next to the sender's name for me

Amazon.com <[email protected]>
Fri 9/28, 3:00 PM
From, To, CC, etc.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

The ones I receive from within the organization don't show the email address, just the name. And the same is true for many outside the organization.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Agreed, I think the new Gmail is slower. Even worse is what they did to Google Flights. It's three clicks now to select a one-way instead of the one click before. Wonder why they made it more complicated.....only Google knows....and they know everything...
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
+1 on not liking the new gmail

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.