FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Current best international SIM? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1910575-current-best-international-sim.html)

gfunkdave May 22, 2018 6:59 am

Current best international SIM?

It seems the existing threads are kind of old, so I'm starting a new one. What's the current best international SIM?

I have a FreedomPop SIM that I've had forever (but never used) and don't really know if it works. Plus I'd like LTE and I think it only supports 3G. Is there a good roaming SIM out there these days, particularly for France? I'm mostly interested in data but the ability to call someone would possibly be useful.

Thanks for suggestions!

powerlifter May 24, 2018 8:36 am

Look up above at the prepaid sticky. Look for France, and it should give you some useful information. I have stopped using international sims many years ago. I have a UK sim that I use all over Europe. When I go to the Middle East I usually get a local sim. I have T-mobile but I rather not pay 20cents for a call when I can get incoming free. International sims have been less relevant since the EU has done away with roaming, and so much more expensive than a local sim card.

mrcamp May 25, 2018 8:53 am

Very true - the use of international sims has declined significantly. I have a 3 UK sim that I use when I am in Europe. I have my Piranha sim still, but have not used it in a while. And they seem to be having some problems at the moment. So, they are providing replacement sims. As the current sims no longer work.

Cozmo456 May 25, 2018 9:51 am

I use GigSky since I get all of Europe on one top up. And it is great service.

freecia May 25, 2018 12:31 pm

Ah thanks for the head's up @mrcamp. We have two Piranha sims so will be sure to test them this weekend. I noticed their VOIP offering was not working for some time. Mine gets stuck attempting to register.

mrcamp May 25, 2018 12:35 pm

Yes, the VOIP stopped working a few months back. My understanding is that, that's the end of that feature.

Originally Posted by freecia (Post 29793936)
Ah thanks for the head's up @mrcamp. We have two Piranha sims so will be sure to test them this weekend. I noticed their VOIP offering was not working for some time. Mine gets stuck attempting to register.

ROW2Aisle May 25, 2018 7:06 pm

Since switching to Google's Project Fi plan a few years ago as my primary I've stopped getting foreign SIM cards. The cost is $20 per month unlimited local calling and text in the US and $10/GB of data in the US or while roaming internationally. The service is supported in over 120 countries which includes free text and overseas roaming calls cost $0.19/minute. If connected to Wi-Fi, then the calls go through Wi-Fi calling and calls back to the USA are then free and you don't get charged the roaming rates. It is very convenient to have high speed internet connection in most places around the world as soon as the plane touches down. The only exception is when I'm in India were local call rates and data rates are ridiculously cheap for local SIMs and so I use a local one as soon as I land.

jason8612 May 26, 2018 11:58 pm

I got my Tmobile USA and (still) the Toggle SIM.
Tmobile is great for worldwide roaming, and for me, the Toggle SIM works great.

boerne May 29, 2018 6:51 pm

T mo data sim at $35 a month for 6 gb, international at 2 g and we use it for email and low speed friendly surfing. Project Fi in a Moto X4 for high speed stuff when needed, and that is our travel phone that all our travel buddies have. Have given up the Toggle and Piranha sims. I just today tried my Fi sim in an unlocked iphone 6 and it worked great.

jason8612 May 29, 2018 8:48 pm

Fi is tempting. I just wish they had a data only option. I don't need the $20/month calling on it.