iOS 11.2 for iPhone SE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iOS 11.2 for iPhone SE?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: United MP
I press the home button twice, with a finger that doesn't have a registered fingerprint, and it asks for the passcode. I turned off Siri so that I wouldn't get her when I pushed it for too long. "Hey Siri!" still works, but I never use that.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
I press the home button twice, with a finger that doesn't have a registered fingerprint, and it asks for the passcode. I turned off Siri so that I wouldn't get her when I pushed it for too long. "Hey Siri!" still works, but I never use that.
That works for me too.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by msp3
I think it's about time luddites finally put to bed the conspiracy/speculation that iOS updates are slowing down your phone intentionally/unintentionally (respectively)
Yes, no need for speculation - it's now been confirmed.

Very poor on Apple's part not to make this transparent to the user. I understand the engineering solution, and don't have a problem with it, but users need to be made aware that there's now a 3rd, non-optional, power scheme. Reports state that pre-8/X batteries switch to this lower mode when battery capacity has degraded to under 80%.

Originally Posted by Analise
I press the home button for a few seconds,
I also get the passcode screen when I hit the home button with anything but a registered finger print. When I hold it down for an extended period - not so much.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CPRich
Yes, no need for speculation - it's now been confirmed.

Very poor on Apple's part not to make this transparent to the user. I understand the engineering solution, and don't have a problem with it, but users need to be made aware that there's now a 3rd, non-optional, power scheme. Reports state that pre-8/X batteries switch to this lower mode when battery capacity has degraded to under 80%.

I also get the passcode screen when I hit the home button with anything but a registered finger print. When I hold it down for an extended period - not so much.
It is confirmed for newer devices, 6S and up, plus the SE. Still no indication for older phones.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last year we released a feature for iPhone 6, iPhone 6s and iPhone SE to smooth out the instantaneous peaks only when needed to prevent the device from unexpectedly shutting down during these conditions. We’ve now extended that feature to iPhone 7
They specifically call out the 6. They also say it started last year, which means it's in iOS9 at the earliest, very likely iOS10, and nothing before the 5 can run iOS10 or 11. (EIDT: Confirmed it was introduced in iOS 10.2.1)

When they say "We implemented a feature for X, Y, and Z", I believe it's safe to assume it's not in A. B or C. I think it's pretty safe to assume it's just the 6/SE/iOS10.? and later, not the 5/5c/iOS 10, 5s/iOS11 or any earlier device/iOS. At best, 5/c/s is the only question, if you don't believe the itemized list in their statement.

Last edited by CPRich; Dec 21, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CNet says

What phones does the software apply to?

Apple's software from last year, iOS 10.2.1, applied to the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, the 6S and 6S Plus and the SE. This year's iOS 11.2 extended the feature to the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus. It will be applied to other Apple devices in the future.
Ialso agree with this - The real Apple iPhone battery scandal is that it took control away from customers

A lawsuit has also already been filed
demanding the replacement of the old iPhone and compensation for loss of use, loss of value, the purchase of new batteries, ascertainable losses in the form of the deprivation of the value of the iPhone, and overpayments because Plaintiffs and Class Members "did not receive what they paid for"
Old Dec 23, 2017, 8:51 am

I find it really annoying that this new release removes my ability to use the home button to unlock the screen when I wear touch screen gloves. If I press the home button for a few seconds, the Apple Pay screen appears but not the screen that allows me to enter the code to unlock the screen. I don't understand this!
My daughter just gave me touch screen gloves. When I tried them, it worked. I hit the home button twice and the passcode screen came up. I think that worked because I don't have it set so Apple Pay comes up when double clicking.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 4:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

My daughter just gave me touch screen gloves. When I tried them, it worked. I hit the home button twice and the passcode screen came up. I think that worked because I don't have it set so Apple Pay comes up when double clicking.
Hmmmm, I don't understand how having ApplePay would suddenly nullify the home button when I wear my touchscreen gloves. This was never the case before I updated to iOS 11.2.1.

After the new year, I'll go to an Apple Store and see what their geniuses can do to restore the home button functionality.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 7:22 pm

Hmmmm, I don't understand how having ApplePay would suddenly nullify the home button when I wear my touchscreen gloves. This was never the case before I updated to iOS 11.2.1.

After the new year, I'll go to an Apple Store and see what their geniuses can do to restore the home button functionality.
I was just mentioning that I have it off so I don't know if it's supposed to come up when double clicking or not. I thought that it did. Just ignore that.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I was just mentioning that I have it off so I don't know if it's supposed to come up when double clicking or not. I thought that it did. Just ignore that.
I appreciate your sharing your experiences.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 4:24 pm

Since when did the SE become an old "outdated" phone?? Does that mean they plan to phase it out, too, like the 6 and 7??? I sure hope not!!!!
Old Dec 26, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Apple seems to like to only support the last two or three generations or so. Current generation would be the iPhone X/iPhone 8/8+, previous generation would be the iPhone 7/7+. I currently have the 6S+. The 6 is about near the end of it's support lifespan, and the SE is somewhere between the 5S and the 6. The SE shares more in common with a 5S, yet was released during the iPhone 6S generation.

These days, Apple (and most flagship phone manufacturers) seem to be releasing newer generations at a relatively quickening pace, so that devices almost become obsolete (from a software support standpoint) after about 3 years.

Last edited by diburning; Dec 26, 2017 at 7:08 pm
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:25 pm

The SE was just released March of 2016???!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by diburning
Apple seems to like to only support the last two or three generations or so. Current generation would be the iPhone X/iPhone 8/8+, previous generation would be the iPhone 7/7+. I currently have the 6S+. The 6 is about near the end of it's support lifespan, and the SE is somewhere between the 5S and the 6. The SE shares more in common with a 5S, yet was released during the iPhone 6S generation.

These days, Apple (and most flagship phone manufacturers) seem to be releasing newer generations at a relatively quickening pace, so that devices almost become obsolete (from a software support standpoint) after about 3 years.
It was refreshed this year with new memory sizes. The SE actually is between the 6s and the 7 in terms of launch date, but with performance, it is basically a 6s. It has the "chassis", screen, Touch ID, and front camera of the 5s, but the major components with the 6s (processor, rear camera, motion co-processor.) The 6s should be supported for another 3 years, since it is still a current model. (With the headphone jack, Touch ID 2.0, force touch, and respectable performance at a reasonable price, is probably the best value of the iPhones.) Yeah, the 5 is old, first introduced in 2012, but not everyone wants a big phone.

Apple has been refreshing, for good or bad, the iPhone line annually since it was introduced. It's rumoured that it will get a spring refresh, as it is one of the best selling iPhones.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by WIRunner
The SE actually is between the 6s and the 7 in terms of launch date, but with performance, it is basically a 6s. It has the "chassis", screen, Touch ID, and front camera of the 5s, but the major components with the 6s (processor, rear camera, motion co-processor.)
Almost. The processor is prevented from operating at its full potential because they were afraid that the phone's design didn't allow for sufficient cooling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.