FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Outfitting your travel kit for USB-C (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1847726-outfitting-your-travel-kit-usb-c.html)

gfunkdave Mar 28, 2024 7:30 am

I bought an Anker Prime 100W. That thing is heavy for its small size! Amazon has them on sale for $67, which is still maybe a little much but not awful. I like that either USB-C port can output the full 100W, and if you have multiple things plugged in there aren't per-port maximums (aside from the 100W). The USB-A port can only output 22.5W max, which still seems like a lot for such a port at 5V.

It's powering my laptop now. I got it because my laptop would complain when I used the Anker GaN 65W power supply and tried to charge my phone or headphones or whatever.

edit: I was looking at the specs and it lists multiple voltages for the USB-A port. How is this possible?
USB-A: 4.5V⎓5A / 5V⎓4.5A / 5V⎓3A / 9V⎓2A / 12V⎓1.5A / 10V⎓2.25A (22.5W Max)

Lithos Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 36116649)
edit: I was looking at the specs and it lists multiple voltages for the USB-A port. How is this possible?

I believe this is Qualcomm Quickcharge 2.0/3.0. Supports up to 12V even over USB-A

gfunkdave Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

OK now I have to correct myself. Still using the 100W Anker. If I plug in my Sony earbuds case into the USB-A port (case says input 5V 1A = 5W) then my laptop complains that the charger is slow. But the laptop only needs 65W so I don't know why it would complain .

edit: OK, I figured it out. It appears that the power supply works the way Anker's website says, which I didn't understand at first. The two USB-C ports do not each seem to be capable of 100W. Or at least, the device seems to prioritize them differently. If I plug into port 1 (on the outside of the three ports) and have something else plugged into the center USB-C port, the one on the edge shows to the laptop as 35W available. If I reverse the plugs and connect the laptop to the center USB-C port, it shows as a 60W port.

Polytonic Mar 28, 2024 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 36117801)
OK now I have to correct myself. Still using the 100W Anker. If I plug in my Sony earbuds case into the USB-A port (case says input 5V 1A = 5W) then my laptop complains that the charger is slow. But the laptop only needs 65W so I don't know why it would complain .

edit: OK, I figured it out. It appears that the power supply works the way Anker's website says, which I didn't understand at first. The two USB-C ports do not each seem to be capable of 100W. Or at least, the device seems to prioritize them differently. If I plug into port 1 (on the outside of the three ports) and have something else plugged into the center USB-C port, the one on the edge shows to the laptop as 35W available. If I reverse the plugs and connect the laptop to the center USB-C port, it shows as a 60W port.

I noticed this as well. It also seems when I plug just a cable into the charger (and nothing connected on the other end) it impacts the charger output as well. I've taken to just plugging in one or two things max.

gfunkdave Mar 29, 2024 8:34 am

Does anyone know of a little dongle that I can plug into a USB-C port and it will show which PD profiles the port supports?

docbert Mar 29, 2024 11:07 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 36119543)
Does anyone know of a little dongle that I can plug into a USB-C port and it will show which PD profiles the port supports?

Not quite what you're asking, but I do use one of these cables -
Doesn't show what the charger supports, but it does at least show what's being used - although only in terms of watts and not volts/amps. Good for confirming that a charger/battery pack/etc can actually deliver what they claim.

nmenaker Mar 29, 2024 11:52 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 36116649)
I bought an Anker Prime 100W. That thing is heavy for its small size! Amazon has them on sale for $67, which is still maybe a little much but not awful. I like that either USB-C port can output the full 100W, and if you have multiple things plugged in there aren't per-port maximums (aside from the 100W). The USB-A port can only output 22.5W max, which still seems like a lot for such a port at 5V.

It's powering my laptop now. I got it because my laptop would complain when I used the Anker GaN 65W power supply and tried to charge my phone or headphones or whatever.

Depending on what one needs, one of these might be either cheaper, better or more carryable. The 120w seems the same, just more watts, less $$

The 150w one adds again, more watts, one more C port, and a slimmer albeit taller form factor. It’s only $10 more than the 100w version, for me that would be better value

frappant Mar 29, 2024 1:17 pm

I don’t like those wall worts.

often doesn’t stay in airplane seat outlets or in some tight spaces at accommodations.

ChicagoSeminars Mar 30, 2024 10:59 am

For the wall worts on airplane seats, I bring a very small compact UK travel adapter - those always stay in securely!

crackjack Mar 30, 2024 3:45 pm

Or carry a plug adapter, which you may anyway have to; the RoadWarrior/Kikkerland type or the Mogics are decent options. (I like the the Mogics better as it is more stable, but less versatile on the device-plug side.)

frappant May 12, 2024 9:32 am

I have a Baseus USB C charger, suppose to be 65W PD.

My iPhone 15 Pro Max constantly disconnects and reconnects. You hear the chime when it reconnects and the display will show the "Charging" and the green battery icon in the dynamic island.

It happens every few seconds but not all the time. Just searching in general USB-C chargers connect and reconnect because of lint in the connector? I don't see anything like that, the cable is fairly new too. Maybe the plug isn't keeping constant contact with the port in the iPhone?

Anyone see anything like this?

cbkcc1 May 12, 2024 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by frappant (Post 36228268)

My iPhone 15 Pro Max constantly disconnects and reconnects. You hear the chime when it reconnects and the display will show the "Charging" and the green battery icon in the dynamic island.

It happens every few seconds but not all the time. Just searching in general USB-C chargers connect and reconnect because of lint in the connector? I don't see anything like that, the cable is fairly new too. Maybe the plug isn't keeping constant contact with the port in the iPhone?

I would guess the cable

StuckInYYZ May 12, 2024 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by frappant (Post 36228268)

Baesus is usually ok (I find their keyboards aren't great for touch typists, but that's me). If you have a good charger from a previous phone, and another cable, it should be relatively easy to test. It could be the charger or the cable (even if it's new), I find the cable length can be the culprit often enough (generally I don't recommend cables longer than 6ft but everyone's scenario is different). It could be the phone too, although that's less likely.

crackjack May 12, 2024 5:46 pm

Agreed with the above; first rule out what you can.

Is the cable the original iPhone cable? If not, retest with the iPhone’s original cable first.

Apple’s reliability and quality control for their original cable would have me first look at the charger, though if another charger does the same thing, I would then test another cable, and then as a last resort take the phone into an Apple store to troubleshoot.

frappant May 12, 2024 5:53 pm

I will pay closer attention to when it's happening. I'm not sure which charger and cable combo causes this behavior or if it happens on more than one of my chargers or cables.

I am using 3rd party cables.

One possible cause I thought was that I had my iPad Air plugged in at the same time, using up both USB-C ports on the 4-port Baseus charger.

The charge cables I have are 6 feet or longer too so maybe there's an issue.

Thing is despite the connect and reconnects, there's no issue with the devices being charged in the expected time.