FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Outfitting your travel kit for USB-C (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1847726-outfitting-your-travel-kit-usb-c.html)

Kgmm77 Feb 2, 2023 7:01 am

Originally Posted by CarlTheWebmaster (Post 34976390)
I don't know much about this brand (Minix) but this device was appealing to me - smaller than the Anker 735, 2xUSB C + 1xUSB A, 66w, and with sturdy, snap-on UK/EU plug adapters. I have other small plug adapters but they don't hold these wall-mounted chargers very firmly - the EU-specific adapter should be a lot sturdier. $40 ($35 with 10% coupon). There's also a 100w version for $55.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I posted about the 100w version a while back. I don’t use it that often, only when travelling internationally. It works fine so far, although I do wonder about the robustness of the intl pins (I have a much heavier Ugreen 100w that only has fixed pins that is more robust for day to day domestic use).

crackjack Feb 2, 2023 9:15 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem (Post 34977933)
I have 2 of those and wouldn't buy it again, it's top heavy, so it tends not to stay in the outlet. I believe that's been discussed here. The single port nanos are much better in that small nano form factor or the larger (square) form factor for the multi-port ones, IMHO.

-David

Did yours have the ‘silicone stabilizer’ donuts? They apparently added this a few months ago, having noted the fact that these tend to lever themselves out of plug points.

LIH Prem Feb 2, 2023 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by crackjack (Post 34979075)
Did yours have the ‘silicone stabilizer’ donuts? They apparently added this a few months ago, having noted the fact that these tend to lever themselves out of plug points.

Did not include them. Do they work? The fact that it needs something like that ...

-David

LIH Prem Feb 3, 2023 6:08 pm

Anker support is sending me 2 of the silicon stabilizers. They said 7 - 10 days.

I asked, they requested serial numbers. I sent them a pic.

-David

pseudoswede Feb 4, 2023 6:55 am

Originally Posted by chrisrozon (Post 34942849)
I have the 65W Baseus and I'm quite happy with it.
https://www.baseus.com/products/ambl...k-65w-30000mah

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 34970074)
I just bought the 20k version for $48 from Amazon.

I tried running a test to see how long I could stream off the battery. My laptop started at 90% battery power, it never reached 100%, and the power bank drained to 0 within 90 minutes. The laptop is only a 5000 mAh battery. Now the power bank is flashing 0 no matter how long I charge it.

StuckInYYZ Feb 4, 2023 8:11 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 34984336)
I tried running a test to see how long I could stream off the battery. My laptop started at 90% battery power, it never reached 100%, and the power bank drained to 0 within 90 minutes. The laptop is only a 5000 mAh battery. Now the power bank is flashing 0 no matter how long I charge it.

Maybe a bum unit? Baseus isn't exactly a small brand. I'd probably try another unit and if it does the same thing, then get a refund.

What kind of laptop is this? 5000mah seems kinda small :)

pseudoswede Feb 4, 2023 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ (Post 34984471)
Maybe a bum unit? Baseus isn't exactly a small brand. I'd probably try another unit and if it does the same thing, then get a refund.

What kind of laptop is this? 5000mah seems kinda small :)

Prolly a bum unit, indeed.

Actually, the listing on the replacement battery for my laptop (Dell Inspiron 7373) is 3300 mAh. I ran my streaming setup off of battery power for an hour after I disconnected the battery pack, and my laptop only drained half the battery--no way should it burn through a 20,000 mAh battery pack in 90 minutes.

LIH Prem Feb 5, 2023 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 34986291)

Actually, the listing on the replacement battery for my laptop (Dell Inspiron 7373) is 3300 mAh. I ran my streaming setup off of battery power for an hour after I disconnected the battery pack, and my laptop only drained half the battery--no way should it burn through a 20,000 mAh battery pack in 90 minutes.

Just a guess, what power profile does that system use when powered by the external power bank?

Still a big difference though.

-David

crackjack Feb 5, 2023 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 34986291)

Not sure if this is accounted for, but:
3300 mAh @ ~11V or ~15V (nominal, standard for laptops) = 38Wh/49.5Wh or less*, 1/2 of that for 30min 60mins
20,000 mAh @ 3.3V 3.7V (nominal, standard for power banks) = 74Wh, full for 90mins.
(* Note: given the age, your laptop’s battery has probably degraded some. You can check your battery by using /batteryreport: MS Support)

Note that the battery in the Baseus is not necessarily putting back out 74Wh; there’s a significant loss in Wh normally (IIRC ~30%, possibly differs?) in the way power banks return a charge to a device, particularly if they are charging the internal battery of the other device, as it goes from 3.7V -> whatever input voltage the device requires. (Some drop in Wh might exist the devices’ batteries too, but IIRC, that does not need a V conversion [EDIT] apparently there can be a voltage conversion, but expect OEM laptop producers try to account for inefficiencies to get better weight-to-battery-life ratios; doubt power bank manufacturers do.)

Finally, cold weather drops battery life significantly. IIRC, my iPhone used to die with 40% battery in just-sub-freezing weather. If it was cold, that may have played into this as well.

Of course, with your battery now not charging, something went wrong, so get a replacement for sure.

pseudoswede Feb 6, 2023 8:05 am

I think the fact that my laptop ran on its own battery for an hour, and the fan was blaring since it was running OBS and livestreaming at the same time (in my home office, so not cold weather*), and it only used half of its battery capacity means something was definitely wrong with a 20,000 mAh power bank that drained completely in 90 minutes. I only use the Balanced Performance power profile in any of my Windows laptops.

* - that said, my best use case for having to use this power bank is when I'm livestreaming from outdoor hockey rinks. Case in point, this upcoming weekend, and it's expected to be in the low/mid-teens or 20s.

LIH Prem Feb 7, 2023 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem (Post 34983418)
Anker support is sending me 2 of the silicon stabilizers.

Did anybody here actually try these?

Judge for yourself. (Anker 735 - 2 usb-c + 1 usb-a - with "silicon stabilizers")

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1321efdeb2.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ec14759386.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...df83e706dc.jpg

StuckInYYZ Feb 7, 2023 7:04 pm

On an airplane, maybe, assuming they didn't texturize the receptacle surface. But a really bad design if the plug is at the leg level (most economy plugs are)... Vs the eye level (see Air Canada 's economy seat). Note, you may need to dampen the cups to get enough suction.

crackjack Feb 8, 2023 12:07 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 34989699)
I think the fact that my laptop ran on its own battery for an hour, and the fan was blaring since it was running OBS and livestreaming at the same time (in my home office, so not cold weather*), and it only used half of its battery capacity means something was definitely wrong with a 20,000 mAh power bank that drained completely in 90 minutes. I only use the Balanced Performance power profile in any of my Windows laptops.

Something wrong sure, but don’t expect an exponential jump in battery life.

Your laptop on internal battery seems to have averaged ~19W (or less) for that full hour.
(Sorry, read it as only 30mins earlier.)

Baseus notes their 20,000mah battery currently on Amazon will charge a MBP 13” to 90%; that’s about 52Wh (assuming they meant the M1 MBP with 58Wh capacity, not the 2017 MBP with 49Wh).; that’s about a 70% efficiency from stated capacity to true output.
(Saw the cells are normally 3.7V nominal, 20k mAh would yield 74Whr.)

That 52Wh at your 19W average should give ~165mins with optimal conditions, so you might get 80% more runtime for this setup if the replacement you get is perfect. (But yes, the cold weather will affect that.)

crackjack Feb 8, 2023 12:11 am

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ (Post 34994338)
On an airplane, maybe, assuming they didn't texturize the receptacle surface. But a really bad design if the plug is at the leg level (most economy plugs are)... Vs the eye level (see Air Canada 's economy seat). Note, you may need to dampen the cups to get enough suction.

Even if the suction doesn’t work well, won’t the extra length below the socket help at least somewhat with the levering out that may occur, counteracting the torque generated from the weight & centre of gravity being so far out?

gfunkdave Feb 8, 2023 7:35 am

Just got the Anker 735 and I understand the concerns now. It is quite heavy for its size. The silicon stabilizer will probably help but not work if you're trying to plug into a crowded outlet strip or other space-constrained area. I'm surprised Anker has this kind of design issue, to be honest.