FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Best dual sim phone? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1832439-best-dual-sim-phone.html)

Dubai Stu May 17, 2017 8:47 am

Originally Posted by stockmanjr (Post 28321381)
Thoughts on the ZTE Axon 7? Seriously looking at it.
Cheers
Howie

I have an Axon 7 North American edition as a second phone. Actually I keep going and back between it and my iPhone 7. I really want a dual 7 but the Apple ecosphere and my wife keep pulling me back to the iPhone 7. Since there is no dual SIM iPhone (yet) I will avoid that sidetrack.
The Axon 7 is a great phone for the money. The NA edition supports a number of LTE bands on one active SIM and all the HSPA bands on the other which makes it a great travel phone. It charges quickly with the factory charger, has great sound, and a pretty good camera though I think it is a little weak in low light situations.

Axon is prompt with System upgrades and is not ignoring the phone yet, but I expect a sucessor may be coming out soon. It is an aluminum construction unibody device which feels premium and has a good hand size. It has great audio fidelity and supports HD voice on many carriers on one SIM, supports TMobile wifi calling, and other features. The phone is a quick charger.
The Axon 7 has a relatively pure Android feel, but some of the apps such as Mail and Calendar have been swapped out with their equivalents. It also has a non-Chrome browser as a second browser cooked into the firmware. There is not a tremendous amount of bloat and the Google Play Store is factory installed.

As a travel phone, I wish Axon had enabled VOIP dialing in the native dialer. Third party VOIP applications work just fine but the integration is not as nice. I've had a harder time making a VOIP dialer work in place and stead of the original dialer for some apps, e.g. calling out of Google Assistant. In addition to the Google Assistant, the Axon has its own which is handy for unlocking the phone on voice recognition, but Google's assistant is far better.

mandolino May 17, 2017 1:53 pm

I carry a Moto G4 dual sim in addition to my work phone (Samsung S7) . It's 4g so takes advantage of the best networks in Europe, Asia and Australia. I was just in Russia - Moscow and Krasnoyarsk, and kept my roaming costs down with a Yota SIM bought at the airport, with a Toggle (multi-country) sim in the other slot.

The Moto works so well I'd happily use it for my workphone all the time if I had to. It's much cheaper.

stockmanjr May 17, 2017 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu (Post 28323212)
I have an Axon 7 North American edition as a second phone. Actually I keep going and back between it and my iPhone 7. I really want a dual 7 but the Apple ecosphere and my wife keep pulling me back to the iPhone 7. Since there is no dual SIM iPhone (yet) I will avoid that sidetrack.
The Axon 7 is a great phone for the money. The NA edition supports a number of LTE bands on one active SIM and all the HSPA bands on the other which makes it a great travel phone. It charges quickly with the factory charger, has great sound, and a pretty good camera though I think it is a little weak in low light situations.

Axon is prompt with System upgrades and is not ignoring the phone yet, but I expect a sucessor may be coming out soon. It is an aluminum construction unibody device which feels premium and has a good hand size. It has great audio fidelity and supports HD voice on many carriers on one SIM, supports TMobile wifi calling, and other features. The phone is a quick charger.
The Axon 7 has a relatively pure Android feel, but some of the apps such as Mail and Calendar have been swapped out with their equivalents. It also has a non-Chrome browser as a second browser cooked into the firmware. There is not a tremendous amount of bloat and the Google Play Store is factory installed.

As a travel phone, I wish Axon had enabled VOIP dialing in the native dialer. Third party VOIP applications work just fine but the integration is not as nice. I've had a harder time making a VOIP dialer work in place and stead of the original dialer for some apps, e.g. calling out of Google Assistant. In addition to the Google Assistant, the Axon has its own which is handy for unlocking the phone on voice recognition, but Google's assistant is far better.

Thanks! Ended up buying a one plus 3T as it turned out to be the same plus when I added tax onto the Axon 7.
Cheers
Howie

Dubai Stu May 17, 2017 9:18 pm

The S8 version for sale in the UAE is dual SIM. So is the Swiss version (80% certain).

Originally Posted by Enthilza (Post 28105274)
Why not go with a Samsung S7 (or S7 Edge)?

Great camera, regular Android updates, decent UI... I believe the new S8 will also be dual sim.

Dubai Stu May 17, 2017 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by stockmanjr (Post 28325636)
Thanks! Ended up buying a one plus 3T as it turned out to be the same plus when I added tax onto the Axon 7.
Cheers
Howie

I almost went with the One Plus. Since the 7 supports CDMA frequencies I was hoping I could figure out a way for it to access them with my Fi SIM. Haven't succeeded yet.

boerne May 21, 2017 7:15 am

The LG V20 (VS995) international version is dual sim. But also has removable battery, tough outer case, good cameras, and is big. It does not cover ATT LTE bands 17 and 30. I am considering the NA version and just go single sim.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4MY4RY

and a 10,000 mAh extended battery that can go on the back

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-ZeroL...lg+v20+battery

You don't find many replaceable battery phones any more. Comes with Nougat out of the box.

LAXlocal May 24, 2017 12:34 pm

For a middle priced option is the Samsung J5 worth looking at ?

its 5 inch , dual screen , dual sim

does anyone use a J5 ? any pluses or negatives ?

mandolino May 24, 2017 12:52 pm

My wife uses a J5 for non business purposes and it seems perfectly adequate.
it should be lower than "medium priced" by now. That bracket with Samsung is filled by the A5.

Its processor would be slower and perhaps less able to multitask than my S7 but I'm hard put to notice any difference most of the time, particularly with the social media messaging and web browsing that she mainly does.

LAXlocal May 24, 2017 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by mandolino (Post 28354634)
My wife uses a J5 for non business purposes and it seems perfectly adequate.
it should be lower than "medium priced" by now. That bracket with Samsung is filled by the A5.

Its processor would be slower and perhaps less able to multitask than my S7 but I'm hard put to notice any difference most of the time, particularly with the social media messaging and web browsing that she mainly does.

Thanks for the review , does the battery last long enough for a day

medium priced is $150 for the US model , not sure if US model is dual sim ,
but was planning on an International model which is dual sim

mandolino May 31, 2017 4:41 am

Judging by the light use my wife gives it, yes it can last for a day if you keep wifi/bluetooth off. Samsung phones also have some good power-saving settings.

M2inOR May 31, 2017 10:41 am

Samsung S7 Edge

I travel a lot, and wanted a phone with great camera, Android, large memory, and dual SIM to replace my aging Note 3.

While searching for 32/64GB possibilities, I found Samsung's 128GB S7 Edge, but it was only sold in Middle East and Asia markets. A quick visit to eBay revealed factory fresh, unlocked version of the S7 Edge 128GB, at a very good price. I got one within a few days, and find it is the UAE version, and it came with Nougat preinstalled.

Note well: display cannot show LTE; instead shows LTE as 4G. I confirmed this is a feature, using LTE Discovery app. It does have LTE capability. With dual SIM, SIM Manager shows one has LTE/4G/3G priority, while the other has 3G/2G. You can select which slot has priority. As in other Samsung DUOS phones, the 2nd slot can have SIM or microSD card, but with 128GB main memory, who needs another microSD card!

Just back from a 2week trip to Paris and Eastern Europe, and it performed great. I had it loaded with both AT&T and T-Mobile SIMs. I used both the $10/day international plan from AT&T, and free T-Mobile data roaming, but found "free" T-Mobile data roaming and texts to have some caveats. Though T-Mobile will connect to 3g/4g/LTE, they have figured out how to throttle down to 20Kbps with the fast connection. Fine for text, but brutal with graphic intensive browsing and apps. Be sure you preload those Google maps for offline use. Uber and Lyft load maps as needed, making the slow so load time painful.

If budget is a concern, I also used an Amazon BLU R1 on a trip to Dublin, that has dual SIM, as well as a separate slot for microSD card. Nice reliable phone, but not-so-good camera.

By the way, you'll be surprised at the eBay prices for phones sourced from UAE. US suppliers even offered extended warranty if you are worried about not having a US warranty.

So far, after 2 months with the S7, no regrets.

kshanew May 31, 2017 11:00 am

My daily phone is a Moto G4 plus dual sim (sourced from India). Very happy with it.

ghostrider72 May 31, 2017 1:26 pm

Well why don't consider the top dog in the market now, the beautiful Oneplus 3T?
I love it, perfectly stable, fast, lots of ram and no need to root.
An excellent companion.

Cozmo456 Jun 1, 2017 4:24 pm

Wait for the OnePlus 5. No more 3/3Ts left.

boerne Jun 27, 2017 11:50 am

Nokia 6 Amazon Prime

says it is dual sim

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072J8R35Q...nk_6_ecg1_long

ghostrider72 Jun 27, 2017 12:08 pm

Oneplus 5 is on the market now, it covers all possible frequencies of all possible markets. It's battery seems to be perfectly optimized but unfortunately the phone itself is not ip67 or higher certified (water resistant).

Dubai Stu Jun 29, 2017 4:01 pm

The Samsung Galaxy S8 DUOS just got released in Euro land. If you want to spend 1,000EUR for a phone it seems pretty impressive.

hfly Jul 3, 2017 4:09 pm

Xiaomi Mi Mix is an aweseome phone, and its dual SIM.

tmiw May 26, 2018 8:53 pm

Just picked up a OnePlus 6 (considering a move back to Android from iOS) and it's working pretty well thus far. One of the SIM cards stops working during calls--which isn't surprising considering it's sold as a dual standby device--but at the same time I feel like they should if both networks support VoLTE. Of course, there's probably a technical reason why this can't be the case.

Also, this is probably not a surprise to anyone who has used recent OnePlus devices, but both SIM cards can apparently connect via LTE simultaneously according to a SIM card info tool I found on the Play Store. I'd love to try a Verizon SIM card in SIM2 at some point to confirm, though.

tmiw Sep 12, 2018 12:23 pm

Looks like the iPhone Xs has dual SIM support too. Only the China version has two physical SIM cards though; the rest of the models are eSIM + physical SIM. Is eSIM a huge disadvantage? (I'm thinking not if from the US--since most carriers likely will support eSIM--but maybe I'm wrong.)

IslesFan Sep 12, 2018 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 30196639)
Looks like the iPhone Xs has dual SIM support too. Only the China version has two physical SIM cards though; the rest of the models are eSIM + physical SIM. Is eSIM a huge disadvantage? (I'm thinking not if from the US--since most carriers likely will support eSIM--but maybe I'm wrong.)

I'm thinking you have your primary line go eSim, so you have the sim slot available for roaming. Maybe I'm wrong.

tmiw Sep 12, 2018 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by IslesFan (Post 30196658)
I'm thinking you have your primary line go eSim, so you have the sim slot available for roaming. Maybe I'm wrong.

That's what I'm thinking too. It does mean that your phone is basically a single SIM phone if you're on certain MVNOs, unless there's some sort of way to provision a prepaid SIM on the eSIM.

BigFlyer Sep 12, 2018 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 30196639)

AFAIK, the only carrier offering esim support for a phone is Project Fi - and Project Fi is unlikely to support Iphones. Activating the esim seems to require some software on the phone (a downloaded app), based on my Project Fi experience.

jerry a. laska Sep 12, 2018 1:27 pm

Either the esim or sim slot can be your primary line. As noted the problem, at least initially, will be availability of esim support through carriers. Apple did show these carriers when discussing esim support: Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Bell, EE, Vodafone, Airtel, Deutsche Telekom, Truphone, GigSky and Jio.

Apple instructions for setting up the esim and sim:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044

tmiw Sep 12, 2018 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska (Post 30196881)
Either the esim or sim slot can be your primary line. As noted the problem, at least initially, will be availability of esim support through carriers. Apple did show these carriers when discussing esim support: Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Bell, EE, Vodafone, Airtel, Deutsche Telekom, Truphone, GigSky and Jio.

Apple instructions for setting up the esim and sim:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044

Looks like it's either QR code or carrier app for eSIM provisioning. Hopefully getting the former won't be a hassle for those traveling. ^

hfly Sep 12, 2018 3:31 pm

I think I had my first dual SIM phone maybe a decade ago, Apple is WAY behind on these things....

paperwastage Sep 12, 2018 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by hfly (Post 30197288)
I think I had my first dual SIM phone maybe a decade ago, Apple is WAY behind on these things....

but which dualsim LTE "world" phone have so many LTE bands (and CDMA support for those stuck on verizon/sprint)?

given its a dual standby phone (some phones are dual active).

not sure if one SIM is 3G data only and other SIM is LTE (highly unlikely since one is non-phyiscally-swappable eSIM)

FDD‑LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 29, 30, 32, 66, 71)
TD‑LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46)
CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Aus_Mal Sep 12, 2018 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 30197514)
but which dualsim LTE "world" phone have so many LTE bands (and CDMA support for those stuck on verizon/sprint)?

The Oneplus 6 (and soon to be released 6T which may add more) have very decent coverage already...

FDD LTE:
Band 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/18/19/20/25/26/28/29/30/32/66/71
TDD LTE: Band 34/38/39/40/41
TD-SCDMA: Band 34/39
UMTS(WCDMA): Band 1/2/4/5/8/9/19
CDMA: BC0/BC1
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

TheMadBrewer Sep 12, 2018 11:36 pm

From reading the Apple link above

What you need

So it sounds like initially it will just be the physical SIM. I guess this may be dependent on the carrier but I am hoping that it will seamless/painless to transfer my current TMO iPhone 7 service to an eSim. Initially I guess I would just use the current nano-SIM in the SIM slot.

Too bad that will come later -- I leave Oct 3 on a European trip and will take a second phone (Nexus 5X) that has my German SIM and it would be nice to carry one fewer phones :)

tmiw Sep 12, 2018 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal (Post 30198313)
The Oneplus 6 (and soon to be released 6T which may add more) have very decent coverage already...

FDD LTE:

I have the OnePlus 6 and I was under the impression that it was basically GSM/LTE only. Or at least, Sprint and Verizon don't work on it anyway.

Dubai Stu Sep 13, 2018 1:25 am

Ugh. Apple sure knows how to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Anyone know if I can get the real dual SIM model if I go to Hong Kong?

paperwastage Sep 13, 2018 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal (Post 30198313)

FDD LTE:

that phone's 0.5 years old, not 10 years old

(though 10 years ago, LTE didn't exist. you had your quad band 2G and pentaband 3G "world" phones)

aka apple isn't that far behind oneplus6's offering.. lets see how the esim+physical sim works on apple

BunnyVanny Sep 13, 2018 9:04 am

I do not know if it's still topical, but if you're a fan of apple products, then the new iPhone is perfect. If on android then I advise Xiaomi Redmi 5 plus.

mrcamp Sep 13, 2018 9:28 am

Yeah. I have the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 Global. It may not have all the LTE bands listed above, but it's close. Overall it's a very solid device.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.gsmar...-ampp-8529.php

Error 601 Sep 13, 2018 10:32 am

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska (Post 30196881)
Either the esim or sim slot can be your primary line. As noted the problem, at least initially, will be availability of esim support through carriers.

Implementing support for eSIMs is inconsequential if a carrier already has the infrastructure in place to support MVNOs on their network. Although that isn't to say there won't be dogmatic resistance.

Rogers in Canada had to be dragged kicking and screaming.

boerne Sep 16, 2018 12:04 am

recent reviews

https://thedroidguy.com/2018/08/5-be...n-2018-1084664

https://www.androidauthority.com/bes...phones-529470/

Silver Fox Sep 16, 2018 2:43 am

In the first link they have a Moto something or other. I have a Moto G5 and will never buy another Moto/Lenovo product again. Updates seem non-existent, as is their support.

boerne Sep 18, 2018 4:45 am

Thats odd. We have the Moto X4 Project Fi phone and have been getting monthly updates, and have the latest Oreo. But its not dual sim

mandolino Oct 25, 2018 4:08 pm

I have a Moto 4 dual SIM and it updates quite often.

Only when on WiFi, which is how it set it.

Silver Fox Oct 26, 2018 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 30208785)
In the first link they have a Moto something or other. I have a Moto G5 and will never buy another Moto/Lenovo product again. Updates seem non-existent, as is their support.

The updates are I am referring to are system updates and finally they just started rolling out Oreo 8.1 which is the flavour I now have. And the phone is better for it. Got back some internal storage to the tune of about ~1.5GB it seems.