FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Best dual sim phone? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1832439-best-dual-sim-phone.html)

jason8612 Mar 29, 2017 10:05 am

Best dual sim phone?

I currently have a Sony Z5, had the oneplus 2 and the Sony Z3 before. I'm looking to upgrade my phone in the next month or 2 to a new dual SIM phone. It seems though that there are some good ones out but nothing that is excellent. One thing I love about the Sony is that it is waterproof while others are not even water resistant. One minus of the Sony is that the 2nd sim is only GSM which means it won't work in countries that shut off their GSM service like Australia.

So far it seems the following are some options

OnePlus 3T
6GB RAM
Quadcore Snapdragon 821
128GB space
16MP camera
3400mah battery

Huawei Mate 9 Pro
6GB RAM
Octacore Kirin 960
128GB space
20MP/12MP dual camera
4000mah battery

ASUS ZenFone 3 Deluxe
6GB RAM
64GB space
Snapdragon 820
23MP camera
3000mah battery

Mi Note 2
6GB RAM
128GB storage
Quadcore Snapdragon 821
22.56MP camera

The P10 Plus seems to be coming out soon but I don't see any difference.
6GB RAM and 128GB space
Octacore Kirin 960 CPU
3750 mah battery

Any other smartphone I'm missing? Does anyone use any of the above and can recommend them?

murtaza12 Mar 29, 2017 11:35 am

Never used a Huawei so can't say anything about them. I do however find their phones quite good looking and their UI, is a bit... different. Apparently the cameras are really good.

Mi Note 2, only ever used one Xiaomi phone and that was the... don't even remember what it was called. Anyway, a few of my friends have Xiaomi phones, and are very happy with the fact that they're so cheap and are also so good. Battery life is also a huge plus point for these phones.

I had a OnePlus 3 for a while, and it was great. Fantastic performance, one of the quickest fingerprint scanners ever, and the Dual SIM feature itself just works, there's nothing confusing about setting it up or anything, it just works as it should.
The light custom skin from OnePlus makes the UI very quick and snappy. I found it to be a great phone, so this would be my pick from the ones you've listed.

As for the ASUS, I've got nothing.

Coolers Mar 29, 2017 1:06 pm

I'm thrilled with the OP3 I've been using since June. I would normally be looking for a replacement device about now but the thought hasn't yet crossed my mind. Great hardware, excellent price. Works great out of the box. I never used the OP2 but I've heard it was a piece of crap, so don't base your experience on that. OP3 is a fantastic device like the OPO was when it was released.

I have no doubt the P10 Plus is a superior device with a price to match. AFAIK it is water-resistant and can support a microSD in lieu of the 2nd sim. This would probably be my choice if cost wasn't an issue.

I'm a big fan of Xiaomi in general. Similar value-wise as the OP3 but it does require a lot more tinkering. The only devices I've never installed custom ROMs on are my Nexus and OnePlus phones.

Being able to use Xposed is a dealbreaker for me. If you use it, it's not yet available for Android 7.0 and would rule out many of the newer phones that ship with Nougat, like the P10.

lwildernorva Mar 29, 2017 1:14 pm

I've just recently started using a Moto G4 Plus which replaced a Zenfone 2. Both are dual SIMs. I loved the Zenfone--until about 14 months after I purchased the phone when it developed screen issues. I found through a Google search that this had become a real issue with the Zenfone 2--apparently with a phone with that many features at a low-range price point, something had to be cheaply made, and it apparently was the video board.

I've just used the Moto G4 recently in dual SIM mode with an Irish Vodafone SIM. No extensive experience yet--several phone calls made from the US to Ireland--but no problems to report yet either.

jason8612 Mar 29, 2017 2:47 pm

Thanks all for the comments. It doesn't seem to really narrow down the list :D

I had the OP2 and I did enjoy it. The thing I disliked about it was my fingerprint scanner stopped working (I'm guessing from moisture). It was repaired under warranty but took about a month.

The P10 Plus looks quite nice and if it is water-resistant that might be my first choice.

I did used to use Xposed, but given the bugs in custom ROMs, issues loading them, etc, I really just prefer a rooted stock ROM and a phone with a naturally great battery life. The OP2 had a decent battery life and I was running xposed + greenify on it but it didn't make that big of a difference.

island82 Mar 29, 2017 4:18 pm

Currently using ZTE Axon 7 mini, for the price point ($199), it does the job.

Coolers Mar 29, 2017 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612 (Post 28103574)
I really just prefer a rooted stock ROM and a phone with a naturally great battery life.

If this is important to you, I'd go with the OP3/OP3T. Stock is as close to vanilla Android as you can get. To me, it's along the lines of what a Nexus phone has been (but no longer is with the Pixel) - clean, affordable, and powerful.

I find myself losing the patience to continually tinker with flashing new ROMs/modems. I'll happily give up EMUI, water resistance and a superior camera for ease of use and money in my pocket.

cblaisd Mar 29, 2017 9:40 pm

I know that the market is a rapidly moving target, but if you do a thread title search in this forum for "Dual sim" there are a couple of dozen threads, a few them fairly recent. Might get a few ideas that way -- or maybe not :)

Aus_Mal Mar 29, 2017 9:50 pm

I'm a fan of the OnePlus 3T. Nice vanilla (or close to vanilla) Android rom, fast updating of software, decent hardware and price.

It has some limitations - the camera software isn't always great for example, but overall I really think it's a great phone.

docbert Mar 29, 2017 10:58 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that some of these phones only support 2G on the 'second' SIM. (Which one is the second SIM can move between the two SIM slots, but only one can do 3G/4G at a time)

This is definitely true of the ZenFone 3 (http://promos.asus.com/us/Zenfone_3_...luxe_Specs.pdf) and I'm fairly sure it's true on the Mi Note 2 (it definitely is on my Mi Redmi 3 Pro)

The Huawei Mate 9 Pro appears to support 3G on the second SIM, but not 4G. The same appears to be true of the OnePlus 3T.

Enthilza Mar 30, 2017 12:36 am

Why not go with a Samsung S7 (or S7 Edge)?

Great camera, regular Android updates, decent UI... I believe the new S8 will also be dual sim.

potjernik Mar 30, 2017 1:28 am

I have Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Duos. Spectacular phone.Dual function works perfectly, you can send SMS and receive calls on both numbers at the same time. And you do not need to move physically cards between slots to make them 1st or 2nd SIM, you just select it in the menu.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala..._duos-7508.php

Silver Fox Mar 30, 2017 2:32 am

I am currently deliberating over this: Lenovo Moto G5

I have tried the cheap Chinese dual SIMs and am sticking with the brands now and reconciling that I will have to pay a premium.

Dubai Stu Mar 30, 2017 5:56 am

I have the ZTE Axon 7 (regular). It is dual SIM with HSPA on SIM 2. Many of the phones only have 2g on SIM 2. It has a nice selection of LTE bands, a pretty good camera (not as good as my iPhone's), regular OS upgrades, and a middle range price. It also has US CDMA bands but I haven't figured out how to access them with any of my current SIMs. CDMA is still pretty much locked down. I'm hoping that someone figures out how to get the phone working with ProjectFi (beyond accessing TMobile).

Aus_Mal Mar 30, 2017 4:46 pm

... never mind.

jason8612 Mar 31, 2017 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Enthilza (Post 28105274)
Why not go with a Samsung S7 (or S7 Edge)?

Great camera, regular Android updates, decent UI... I believe the new S8 will also be dual sim.

I kinda gave up on Samsung after the S4. The newer models seem to be copies of iphones and spec wise they are good but for the price, there are other options.

Rumor has it that a new OP might be out in a few months.

And the 2nd sim being GSM is a issue in my current Z5.

Jimmie76 Apr 1, 2017 6:03 am

Be aware that the Chinese dual sim phones that I've looked at (and I own one) have a lovely little piece of spyware by default. They can install anything they like with this on board and also read text messsges etc.

Shanghai Adups Technology – which is the said software company in question, has affirmed that the software meant for a Chinese manufacturer was erroneously included on the devices meant for the US.
the droidreview

Kryptowire has identified several models of Android mobile devices that contained firmware that collected sensitive personal data about their users and transmitted this sensitive data to third-party servers without disclosure or the users' consent.
Kryptowire

If you can root the phone then you can delete it if not the there does appear to be a way of disabling it.

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-...sable-0175034/

I've not tried this and can't say if it works but I know that using Noroot firewall didn't stop it updating the spyware. My antivirus now tells me there is a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) on my phone which is the updated version of ADUPS FOTA and that it can't be removed.

Reds2011 Apr 1, 2017 9:04 pm

The S7 with the Nougat update now supports 3G on the 2nd sim.

Moto Z play also an option, friend has one and is getting outstanding battery life.

Governator Apr 1, 2017 9:41 pm

I have the OP3 and have had good luck with dual SIM use in Asia and UK. I'm a OP fan, having the original, then OP2 then 3. Older phones still in use as hand-me-downs to kids. Only issue is battery life has dropped over the past year, but love the dash charge to get it back quickly.

jason8612 Apr 3, 2017 4:33 am

One thing I just noticed is the OP 3T Europe version doesn't have the LTE bands for the USA (and vv). That could be an issue as I'm about half the year in the USA.

Dubai Stu Apr 3, 2017 9:36 am

Originally Posted by jason8612 (Post 28122083)
One thing I just noticed is the OP 3T Europe version doesn't have the LTE bands for the USA (and vv). That could be an issue as I'm about half the year in the USA.

My North American Axon 7 has a decent collection of foreign LTE bands, but I suspect the issue of which dual SIM phone has the most would be of general interest.

mrcamp Apr 3, 2017 10:15 am

Same here. My US version of the zenfone2 has a good majority of the common LTE bands used outside the US.

http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_2_ze551ml-6917.php

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu (Post 28123092)
My North American Axon 7 has a decent collection of foreign LTE bands, but I suspect the issue of which dual SIM phone has the most would be of general interest.

Silver Fox Apr 3, 2017 10:38 am

Originally Posted by jason8612 (Post 28122083)

I haven't checked the bands against different countries but the phone I am deliberating over has these apparently:

GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (B1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 19, 20, 28, 38, 40)

Cozmo456 Apr 4, 2017 1:16 pm

I have an OP3 and love it. Used an Asus for a while and gave it back due to heating and battery issues.

BigFlyer Apr 8, 2017 9:08 pm

Honor 5x

https://www.amazon.com/5X-Unlocked-S.../dp/B019O8YWR0

ghostrider72 Apr 9, 2017 5:17 am

A good option would be the huawei honor 8. It is a dual sim full active with 3g on both sims (plus lte on one) so it could be a good choice for people who need to reach Australia with a dual sim.

Dubai Stu Apr 9, 2017 9:18 am

Let me throw in one thing that bugs me a little on my ZTE. They have disabled the factory VOIP dialer and I am struggling to find a way to integrate the dialer. I have an ATT global data sim in slot 2 and normally a ProjectFi SIM in slot one. At .20 a minute for the occasional non-VOIP call, global texting, backup data, it is a combination that I can't beat, but I find the dialer integration frustrating. When I tell the Google Assistant or Android auto to call a particular number it always goes out via ProjectFi.

I'd love to hear about the various other dialers. Also vaguelly interested in lines on the Galaxy S8 Duos which is currently only available in a few countries. I'm presuming the Swiss model will be the gray market model that hits US shores.

Madone59 Apr 12, 2017 3:11 pm

The Boeing phone is dual sim too. Don't forget that one.

Silver Fox Apr 13, 2017 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 28123387)
I haven't checked the bands against different countries but the phone I am deliberating over has these apparently:

GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (B1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 19, 20, 28, 38, 40)

Well I stopped deliberating and bought one. Very happy so far. Not use internationally yet though.

jason8612 Apr 23, 2017 10:09 pm

Still deciding on what phone to get. I'm looking at the P10 and it seems to be the same as the Mate 9 dual sim in all the specs except the mate 9 has a bigger battery than the P10. Am I missing something? It seems the mate 9 dual would be the better of the phone choices.

Silver Fox Apr 24, 2017 12:06 am

Originally Posted by jason8612 (Post 28221016)
Still deciding on what phone to get. I'm looking at the P10 and it seems to be the same as the Mate 9 dual sim in all the specs except the mate 9 has a bigger battery than the P10. Am I missing something? It seems the mate 9 dual would be the better of the phone choices.

The micro SD slot on both takes one of the dual SIM slots out of action so it is not for me. I have the Moto G5 dual SIM and one of the reasons was that the SD card did not take a SIM slot out of action.

ben1979 Apr 24, 2017 12:12 am

Very happy with my Moto Z Play. Spec-wise it is a midrange phone, but the battery lasts forever. I got a external MotoMod battery for those long trips on long haul flights but I rarely need to use that battery.

jason8612 May 7, 2017 4:07 am

I ended up getting the Huawei Mate 9. Overall, I must say I am super pleased with it. Much better battery life than my old Z5. The 2nd sim does have 3G, so it should work just fine in OZ. Faster response than the old Z5 and the photos turn out quite good. It is a bigger phone, but not as big as I would of thought. Oh and the charger is amazing - it charges some 3%+ per min which is excellent given the short connections I usually have.

Jimmie76 May 7, 2017 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Madone59 (Post 28169343)
The Boeing phone is dual sim too. Don't forget that one.

Sadly I've not been able to get one of those from my local phone stockist. :D

Dubai Stu May 7, 2017 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 28221298)
The micro SD slot on both takes one of the dual SIM slots out of action so it is not for me. I have the Moto G5 dual SIM and one of the reasons was that the SD card did not take a SIM slot out of action.

There are now adapters which let you get a second SIM and an SD card into the phone. Eg

http://www.simore.com/en/sim-card-extension-adapter-dualsim-hybrid-slot-smartphones-tablets-x-extender.html

Silver Fox May 8, 2017 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu (Post 28281628)
There are now adapters which let you get a second SIM and an SD card into the phone. Eg

http://www.simore.com/en/sim-card-ex...-extender.html

Yes, I have seen them, but I like it to be built into the product. I have the Moto G5 2017 version and so far I am very happy with it.

chx1975 May 8, 2017 11:42 pm

The best dual SIM phone is the Moto Z Play which is only 250 USD with the coupon motozplay on banggood. It has a landscape keyboard coming! You can find the keyboard on indiegogo. No links -- I do not intend to spam. Finally, finally, finally! Five years since the last keyboard phone, the Droid 4. Instead of the keyboard, you can also add an additional battery pack -- while more expensive than a generic USB battery pack, the lack of wires is a serious plus. In this it's also like the good old days when batteries were replaceable and some companies provided seriously larger capacity batteries and a new back which made the phone look like a camel :D the moto mods battery packs look better. But also, the Play version of the Moto Z has a pretty good battery life in itself. There are mods but those are IMO gimmicks. The zoom camera mod totally missed the price/performance spot for example.

There are rumors that a new moto mod will include 4 SIM slots :D

Aus_Mal May 11, 2017 6:36 am

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 28105047)
One thing to keep in mind is that some of these phones only support 2G on the 'second' SIM. (Which one is the second SIM can move between the two SIM slots, but only one can do 3G/4G at a time)

This is definitely true of the ZenFone 3 (http://promos.asus.com/us/Zenfone_3_...luxe_Specs.pdf) and I'm fairly sure it's true on the Mi Note 2 (it definitely is on my Mi Redmi 3 Pro)

The Huawei Mate 9 Pro appears to support 3G on the second SIM, but not 4G. The same appears to be true of the OnePlus 3T.

Tested today, and my Oneplus 3T merrily picked up 4g+ when I set data to my second sim (in the home country). In my home country, 4g is available on my primary sim.

So, It doesn't appear to be true of the Oneplus 3T!

Cozmo456 May 12, 2017 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal (Post 28297308)
Tested today, and my Oneplus 3T merrily picked up 4g+ when I set data to my second sim (in the home country). In my home country, 4g is available on my primary sim.

So, It doesn't appear to be true of the Oneplus 3T!

This *was* true of the OnePlus 2. But as of the 3 and eventually 3T, both SIMs can handle any network.

In many places networks are turning off 2G and that is a real PIA when you need it in your second SIM.

stockmanjr May 16, 2017 8:23 pm

Thoughts on the ZTE Axon 7? Seriously looking at it.
Cheers
Howie