Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATT International day Pass

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:38 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
According to the list linked earlier, Japan will be with Day Pass starting 4/12!
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by wunderpit
According to the list linked earlier, Japan will be with Day Pass starting 4/12!
LOL. Wow I guess someone importantly enough complained about it.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:31 pm

Hoping I'm not missing a more appropriate thread for this: we'll go to Canada for a couple of days, we have iPhones with AT&T, and I think my wife is most interested in being connected all the time; we may get the Passport for her. We could navigate using Waze on her phone, but for various reasons I'd prefer to use mine. I know that airplane mode would disable my GPS: if I don't want the Passport on my phone am I mostly safe just having data roaming off? I'll start navigating in the U.S., and if I pause it I could restart it if there's Wi-Fi at our stopping place, or have my wife's phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot. Would we be advised to disable the hotspot once we're in the car with the itinerary established? There are many matters here that aren't clear to me; I'm generally thinking that GPS navigation just uses data as we input the destination and not during the drive.

If I just have data roaming turned off, I can decline to answer phone calls that don't look important; I don't get many texts, and may be interested in those about suspicious credit card charges.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by rove312
Hoping I'm not missing a more appropriate thread for this: we'll go to Canada for a couple of days, we have iPhones with AT&T, and I think my wife is most interested in being connected all the time; we may get the Passport for her. We could navigate using Waze on her phone, but for various reasons I'd prefer to use mine. I know that airplane mode would disable my GPS: if I don't want the Passport on my phone am I mostly safe just having data roaming off? I'll start navigating in the U.S., and if I pause it I could restart it if there's Wi-Fi at our stopping place, or have my wife's phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot. Would we be advised to disable the hotspot once we're in the car with the itinerary established? There are many matters here that aren't clear to me; I'm generally thinking that GPS navigation just uses data as we input the destination and not during the drive.

If I just have data roaming turned off, I can decline to answer phone calls that don't look important; I don't get many texts, and may be interested in those about suspicious credit card charges.

If you have ATT and go to Canada. I have an awesome way for you to use your ATT service and NOT pay for the Day Pass.

You have to get to the retention department - the regular reps don't have access to add the Canada Roaming Bonus ... but I did not have to threaten to leave AT&T. I just called the support number (800-331-0500) and asked for the retention department. When you get a person in the retention department, tell them you want to add the AT&T Canada Roaming Bonus to your plan. You must be on a Mobile Share plan to qualify.

I just added this to my plan the other day for my whole family. Its FREE.

You get 1GB / month when roaming in Canada and unlimited talk/text as normal.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I just went Israel, Germany, Canada, US in one day and yep, just a quick check shows $30 in charges for that one day. My company had the brilliant idea that dropping a true international plan on my line and going with this day pass option would save money. Nope! Another day was UK, Germany then USA. Genius!
Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by timfountain
I just went Israel, Germany, Canada, US in one day and yep, just a quick check shows $30 in charges for that one day. My company had the brilliant idea that dropping a true international plan on my line and going with this day pass option would save money. Nope! Another day was UK, Germany then USA. Genius!
Oh wow so it is $10 per country per day? It would be horrible if you have your phone on and take the train in Europe going thru 5 or 6 countries in a few hours....
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:17 am

Yeah, if true, that would be horrible.

Originally Posted by Need
Oh wow so it is $10 per country per day? It would be horrible if you have your phone on and take the train in Europe going thru 5 or 6 countries in a few hours....
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:28 am

I wish that companies with a group of employees who were regularly on the road had the brains to put one warrior on their committees rather than have many of the decisions made by people who don't travel for a living. ATT's international day pass plan has a bunch of gotcha's. It can also drive up people's monthly rate more than the international plans depending on where you live or travel. For example. Israel is an included DayPass country, but Jordan isn't. Depending where you are in Israel you could easily accidentally hit a Jordanian tower while your phone is in your pocket and start a very costly download.

At $64.99 for unlimited global data or about $400 a year extra, you could easily blow through your savings in an half an hour on a Jordanian, Syrian, or Saudi tower. Earlier this month, I was I spent one day in Talin, Riga, Vilnius, and Warsaw. Oops.

Rather than send a memo about what they are doing to you, they should send a memo about what they are thinking about and give people ten days to send a report/explanation about why they are going down the wrong path. While I admit that the ability to have voice in every country I'd visit would be attractive, I'd rather have data.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:12 pm

Has anyone used the international day pass lately? The terms clearly state you should only be charged $10 once per day, it shouldn't matter how many countries you visit. Anyone have recent experience?

I'm also wondering if anyone has used the day pass to get access to the international hotspots, disabled international data, and tried that? What I'm wondering is if the hotspot access also triggers the $10/day charge.

It looks like maybe as long as I don't open the app to view the map of hotspots, it should be okay.

Name:  chrome_2017-07-12_12-13-33.png
Views: 3065
Size:  49.8 KB
Old Jul 15, 2017, 2:30 pm

Just got the bill after using this feature last month.

TL;DR:
Charged as expected.

Long version:
I went to 3 countries overseas, used the feature in 2 of them in successive days. Total charges $20 as expected (without the tax). Though still not sure if per country was applied or not. I started using it the morning of the first country, continued using it throughout and reached the second country the afternoon of the next day (but morning the local time of the first country) and continued until the next day. But roamed for less than 24 hours in each country. Got the notification text in the second country, none from the first country. No other surprises so far.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by mrcamp
Yeah, if true, that would be horrible.
Did anyone make an effort to call AT&T to get an answer?

I've used the Int'l Day Pass extensively and haven't noticed this "issue" of being charged multiple times. Therefore, I just called AT&T and inquired about it. I gave them a date, June 12, when I drove from Switzerland thru Germany and into Austria during a 7 hour period, all within my 24 hour day pass. There was only one $10 charge for that day. Not $30.

If anyone got multiple charges for a single 24 hour period, I suggest that you call AT&T to discuss it. Then, do us a favor, return and post the result of your call so that we can have accurate info.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:23 pm

Help with at&t international day plan in Hong Kong

I added AT&T international day plan to my account before my trip to Hong Kong. After arriving at HK yesterday., I am connected to local CSL network. I have data access which is great. But I can't make or receive calls to/from local Hk number or US number. I got error message saying the call can't be completed, error code Message 6, US01LV. Chatted with at&t customer service for 2 hours and they couldn't figure out this one.

For those who had used the plan in HK, are there steps I need to do to make calls, or adjustments to my phone settings? I am using iPhone 6 Plus.

Thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:38 pm

AT&T Global Wi-Fi App

This is a report about the Global Wi-Fi App that comes with the International Day Pass Plan. I had downloaded and registered the app (along with the profile), and it was clear that meant to be used when out of the country.

But when I visited the LH lounge at IAD, my phone thought that it was in Germany and the AT&T app accepted the DE Telekom wifi through its profile/app (without the usual login/accept connection prompt). In other words, while I was physically in USA, I was technically in Germany, wifi-ly speaking, sort of like I was on the embassy ground. Oh, and the most people at the lounge were Japanese pax waiting for their NH flight.

It was surreal (physically in USA, my phone in Germany, while surrounded by Japanese people). Or in the words of Ricky Bobby, "wow, I felt I was in highlander."
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:04 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Does AT&T charge you the $10 for your day plan if you connect (even without use) to a foreign network? Or only if you use talk/text/data?

I'm planning a trip to South America in a few weeks. I'll have my dual-sim phone with me and I know I'll need to make one very long call back to the US. I plan to use the $10 day pass to access my regular AT&T plan for the 90-120 minute call. Then I planned to just get a local SIM card and use that for data and maybe a few local calls (e.g. a taxi).

When I called AT&T to confirm I had the day plan loaded, the agent told me I had to put my phone in airplane mode when I wasn't using it to avoid charges. This doesn't sound right and it doesn't match the FAQ above. Surely I won't get charged if my phone has connected the AT&T sim card to a network, but isn't actually using any talk/text/data (because the talk/text/data will be going through the local sim). Anyone have any experience to back me up? Thanks so much.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by rove312

Airplane Mode does not disable your GPS. I use it all the time with downloaded maps from apps like Pocket Earth and it works fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.