Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Android Pay / Apple Pay and the London Underground. (US Based Travelers)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Android Pay / Apple Pay and the London Underground. (US Based Travelers)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
FYI... AMEX has finally enabled full EMV support on their US cards in Apple Pay. If you delete and re-add the card, it should now theoretically work on TfL as well.
LordHamster likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Should not cause any problems ...

Each device uses different virtual card numbers in Apple Pay. You can add the same card to multiple ios wallets (Apple Pay) and each one generates a different virtual card number. Tfl won't see the same card number. That's one way that the system sees a unique number when using that device.

-David
It hasn't worked that way for my wife and me with Google pay, the Chase Sapphire Preferred and TfL. I wonder if there is a difference between Apple pay and Google pay in this regard.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
It hasn't worked that way for my wife and me with Google pay, the Chase Sapphire Preferred and TfL. I wonder if there is a difference between Apple pay and Google pay in this regard.
I used Google Pay a lot in the last 3 weeks and all of the transaction shows "A virtual Visa account ending in XXXX was used instead of your actual card number to make this purchase".
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by richarddd
Do TFL transactions code as travel for bonus points with CSP?

Also if you're using via Apple Pay or Google Pay, you'd presumably have to use the same card if you want them to track whether you hit the daily limit as you would with the Oyster card?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wco81

Also if you're using via Apple Pay or Google Pay, you'd presumably have to use the same card if you want them to track whether you hit the daily limit as you would with the Oyster card?
IIRC they counted as travel back in 2017 when I went. I don't expect anything to have changed in that regard though.

Also, you definitely have to use the same device for capping to work, not just the same card associated to the device.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC

Yes. Did for me in late 2018.

Last edited by adambadam; Jan 19, 2019 at 6:02 pm Reason: Quote didn't come through on quick reply.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by adambadam
Yes. Did for me in late 2018.
It even counted for the Apple Pay bonus chase was running last month, so I got 4 UR points per dollar.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:36 am

If u use Google pay/apple pay, the card itself does not need to support contactless?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by savingwizard
If u use Google pay/apple pay, the card itself does not need to support contactless?
I successfully used a Chase Sapphire Reserve via Google Pay in Spring 2018. The card was not contactless, but had been entered into Google Pay on my phone.
savingwizard likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by D582
FYI... AMEX has finally enabled full EMV support on their US cards in Apple Pay. If you delete and re-add the card, it should now theoretically work on TfL as well.
Anyone tested this? I’ll be back in london next week and would love to use my Amex on TFL
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Why just Amex?

why not Visa or Mc, whichever one works?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Why just Amex?

why not Visa or Mc, whichever one works?
Casue it is a corporate card, which makes tracking and submitting expense reports less of a pain. I’ve been using my personal visa on TFL for ages, but it is a tad annoying as everything else on my London jaunts goes on the Amex.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:44 pm
Suspended

OK, I thought maybe Visa and MC didn't work or something.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by LordHamster

Anyone tested this? I’ll be back in london next week and would love to use my Amex on TFL
I tested and it worked ~ 1 month ago (Apple Pay)
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by D582
I tested and it worked ~ 1 month ago (Apple Pay)
Just to be clear... you tested a US Based Amex card via Apple Pay on TFL (london underground) and it worked?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.