Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

What is the absolute best US cell carrier for international travelers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the absolute best US cell carrier for international travelers?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2016, 6:13 am

Programs: Kettle Class
For all that data discussion, keep in mind T-Mobile technically has no data limits; just limits on LTE data. If you go over your allotment, you don't get hit with a flat penalty rate for the next gig, you're just throttled to 3G data. And if you need to go over, you can opt-in to buy an additional gig.

So there are no unexpected data overage surprises on your bill.

And given how T-Mobile doesn't count data usage against most audio streaming services, and some video streaming services as well...I'm not sure most folks need a very generous data plan on them at all.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:17 pm

The two Dual SIM devices that I find interesting are the Samsung S7 and the One Plus 3.

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Jun 25, 2016 at 2:25 pm
Old Jun 25, 2016, 6:19 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I have found Google Fi to be very good, and pleasing for the price ($20 unlimited voice+text, $10/GB data -- basically anywhere in the world). It uses T-mobile's network basically.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by TA
I have found Google Fi to be very good, and pleasing for the price ($20 unlimited voice+text, $10/GB data -- basically anywhere in the world). It uses T-mobile's network basically.
Another Google Fi user here - I have plans on Verizon and AT&T as well and was going to move to T-Mobile for their much more reasonable plans, but Fi is working well for me so far, and $10/GB - although not a phenomenal deal by any stroke of imagination - is reasonable to me.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:07 am

You guys make me want to get rid of my grandfathered unlimited data from Verizon and switch to T-Mobile.

Or is that nuts? I have 3 lines on my VZW account and the average monthly usage is about 220gb. (monthly average over the last 12 months)
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
You guys make me want to get rid of my grandfathered unlimited data from Verizon and switch to T-Mobile.

Or is that nuts? I have 3 lines on my VZW account and the average monthly usage is about 220gb. (monthly average over the last 12 months)
220 GB? Are you sure about that? I've got to believe Verizon would cut you with that kind of number.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by josephstern
220 GB? Are you sure about that? I've got to believe Verizon would cut you with that kind of number.
Unlimited is unlimited with Verizon.

I have a co-worker who averages about 300GB per month thanks to streaming Netflix in his hotel room every night.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
220gb is hardly that much for folks with grandfathered unlimited data on Verizon.
check out the Verizon section of AndroidCentral or HowardForum or Verizon's own
forums. (some even with verified usage of 1.3TB/month)

If they wanted to cut me off, they would have done so back in 2014 when my
monthly data usage was in excess of 500gb per month for 11 months straight.
(when I temporarily lived in a neighborhood that had no broadband service at
all)

although... my monthly rate will go up by $20 in August when my current
2-year contract ends. Verizon is adding the $20 to people who still have the
unlimited data plan. My current unlimited data plan costs $23.xx per month
after the corporate discount. With the $20 added on next month, $42.xx is
still not that bad of a deal.(understatement of the year? )

in case anyone is wondering, 90+ percent of the monthly usage can be
attributed to online back up of my Macbook Pro, German paid IPTV, Sling TV,
Google Play Music(which I stream at highest bitrate to my car), HBO Now,
Netflix, Slingbox(connected to my home DVR), Spotify, and WD MyCloud Drive.

Last edited by Siberian_Viktorya; Jun 30, 2016 at 12:34 pm
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:39 am

I wouldn't give up your unlimited with that kind of data consumption. I have ATT's unlimited international. ATT will deprioritize me after 22 gigs but except for cruise ships everything is covered. I also have a subscription to Project Fi. I use that as my virtual phone number, for the unlimited talk in a little Nokia, and more importantly for the nine data SIMs for other devices. To offset the throttled data abroad, I bind two devices together with Speedify and have 512k speeds which are acceptable. I also use the 20 cents a minute instead of a prepaid for most countries where I can't make a VOIP call.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
I have T-Mobile, and definitely experience throttling, even though I'm on an unlimited data plan.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pnt1
I have T-Mobile, and definitely experience throttling, even though I'm on an unlimited data plan.
This may come down to symantics but there is a difference between throttling and tower deprioritization. T-Mobile deprioritises unlimited customers at 25 the of use, this only happens when you're connected to a "busy" tower. It then will throttle your speed to about 128kbps, or 2g speeds.

Throttling, when it is done all the time, is something that they only do when you've exceeded the "high speed data" portion of your plan. This happens when you're connected to any site at anytime.

Essentially they amount to the same thing, but the duration and location differentiate the two.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 1:35 pm

I probably will never give up my Verizon grandfathered unlimited data plan because I use more than 200gb per month. The speeds have always been good, usually around 25mbps to 30mbps download... and 15mbps to 20mbps upload. I can even get almost 15mbps in my basement. It's always 4 bars or more through out my city.

However, I have seriously considered getting a 2nd phone on the T-Mobile network because I've been spending so much $$$ for calls/data in foreign countries. I always buy prepaid SIM cards in those countries, but it's getting expensive. The only thing holding me back is that T-Mobile has little or no signal near my home and my office building.(even when standing outside).

Maybe I'll just get a Google Nexus phone and sign up for Project Fi as my 2nd phone? I probably will, if the rumored Google phone actually comes out. (one that's made by Google itself, not a Nexus phone made by 3rd party manufacturers like Motorola, Huawei, or LG)
Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
I probably will never give up my Verizon grandfathered unlimited data plan because I use more than 200gb per month. The speeds have always been good, usually around 25mbps to 30mbps download... and 15mbps to 20mbps upload. I can even get almost 15mbps in my basement. It's always 4 bars or more through out my city.

However, I have seriously considered getting a 2nd phone on the T-Mobile network because I've been spending so much $$$ for calls/data in foreign countries. I always buy prepaid SIM cards in those countries, but it's getting expensive. The only thing holding me back is that T-Mobile has little or no signal near my home and my office building.(even when standing outside).

Maybe I'll just get a Google Nexus phone and sign up for Project Fi as my 2nd phone? I probably will, if the rumored Google phone actually comes out. (one that's made by Google itself, not a Nexus phone made by 3rd party manufacturers like Motorola, Huawei, or LG)
That's smart...I would be very curious to hear your reviews
Old Jul 4, 2016, 2:15 pm

That's smart...I would be very curious to hear your reviews
The only reason I haven't gone with T-Mobile or Google Project Fi is my friend tell me the speeds are 2G (256kbps?) when roaming internationally... but it's free or included...
Old Jul 4, 2016, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The only reason I haven't gone with T-Mobile or Google Project Fi is my friend tell me the speeds are 2G (256kbps?) when roaming internationally... but it's free or included...
With T-Mo, I believe that's the minimum, but it can be faster. But you'll never be streaming video with the current international roaming speeds on T-Mo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.