Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rent a phone in Japan or...?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by DillPickles
Not sure exactly how much wifi I'll need. I land at Haneda (not Narita)
That should be no problem. They deliver to Haneda and hotels as well. The Post office solution is the safer one (according to them). The laddies at the Post office in Narita were aware of the procedure asked (in Japanese) for the confirmation and ID, then issued the package addressed to you.

BTW: There were 10 or 12 people queuing when the post office in NRT opened and all of them were foreigners picking up the Mifis or Sim cards
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JAL, KrisFlyer
Called AT&T, they walked me through the Passport program and I signed up for that. Went for the Silver level, $60 for 30 days, 50 cents a minute for calls (which I probably won't use anyway) and 300mb data (which I definitely will use). I think it's decent. Certainly better than the first situation I looked at with Rentaphone. Crazy expensive.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by DillPickles
Yeah, phone is locked and I'm not interested in unlocking.
In this case I would think that an unlocked 4G phone capable of connection sharing should cost well under 100 bucks. Good investment for the future.

My SIM is a unext 1 week/200MB (per day, I think) at 150Mbps, unlimited at 200 Kbps plan, total cost 2000Y (25 bucks). Works on the docomo network.

I used to have rental mifis (JAL) that came at about 15 bucks per day with all you can eat data.
Old May 4, 2016, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA
Buy SIM on eBay. I got this one when I went last time:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japan-NTT-do...gAAOSwmmxW2qFI

popped it into my $35 mifi (I bought a basic Huawei model, unlocked on eBay). Boom.

Many mifis have poor battery life - I always take a small 10000 mah USB battery with me to keep my devices charged, so that's not an issue, but just something to be aware of.
Old May 6, 2016, 11:09 pm
Mul

Originally Posted by DoctorORD
popped it into my $35 mifi (I bought a basic Huawei model, unlocked on eBay). Boom.
Which mifi you got on ebay? Is this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIFI-HUAWEI-...0AAOSwFqJWmuyT ?
Old May 8, 2016, 3:24 pm

I was just recently in Japan for a month and used a sim card. However, if you dont have an unlocked phone, I would advise you to get a mobile wifi device. Or if you spend a lot of time on trains/ train stations, they have wifi all over the place. Convenience stores have wifi too so wifi is pretty much everywhere.
Old May 10, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Mul
Which mifi you got on ebay? Is this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIFI-HUAWEI-...0AAOSwFqJWmuyT ?
I got an E5573 (which is LTE-capable) from a Russian seller for $35 with free shipping. The battery life is poor, but the device itself was good enough for me.
Old May 12, 2016, 2:57 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
If you're a Sprint subscriber, just get the $5/mo unlimited Japan roaming add-on and get unlimited voice and LTE (used to just be 3G) on SoftBank

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.