Community
Wiki Posts
Search

110V to 220V Portable Converter

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:37 am
Original Poster

110V to 220V Portable Converter

Our first cruise coming up, in northern europe/russia and getting conflicting stories re whether cruise ship has 110 or 220 power. Our iPhones, iPad etc. are not an issue but our electric toothbrush only runs on 110.

Did a search on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...to%2Caps%2C208.

Anyone recommend an inexpensive and relatively small converter. Not an power plug adapter but actual converter. Thanks
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Ask the cruise line.

IIRC most of the cruise ship has low amperage outlets in the room in both 110 and 220 in a few popular configurations.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
In general, I find the fastest way to ruin any electrical device is to use a power converter. If it's not the proper voltage, then just don't use it and spare yourself the headache of having to replace it.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roder
In general, I find the fastest way to ruin any electrical device is to use a power converter. If it's not the proper voltage, then just don't use it and spare yourself the headache of having to replace it.
There is no issue with a properly designed, manufacturer and installed voltage converter. I believe the generator and the step down from 600V on the cruise ships should be of this type

Most travel converters are not designed well, especially low cost or travel sized ones.

I had a proper in-line converter at my flat in HK 220-in 110-out and condo in Toronto 110-in 220-out. Never had any problem with them nor the $25,000+ audio equipment that uses them. These converters are not small nor cheap.

Last edited by tentseller; Apr 26, 2015 at 1:01 pm
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

We've used power converters from as way back as 1990 in Jkt but they were household size, heavy and certainly not portable. My wife in past few years has needed to use UV light for skin issues and hotels in Asia, eg Bkk would provide a small converter; again not portable enough to pack in suitcase for an electric toothbrush.

We'll do with the old fashion toothbrush for the 3 wks we're gone
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:33 pm

I've never been on a cruise ship... but here in the UK hotel and domestic bathrooms usually have dual voltage shaver sockets - one socket for 110V, one for 220V. Although they are called shaver sockets, and sometimes have a sign on them saying "shavers only", they work absolutely fine with electric toothbrushes.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Forget about the transformer - too much effort and weight.

Get a battery toothbrush and either keep it for travel or leave it behind. Your teeth won't rot on a cruise.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Sonica...ery+toothbrush is cheaper than a transformer.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:24 pm

Unless you have special dental needs just by a regular toothbrush? I normally use a Sonicare but when traveling it gets left at home and I just use a normal brush. I had the previous model of the one MAN Pax linked to before buying a rechargeable one and it worked well but was too bulky to travel with.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:25 pm

On all the cruises I have been on (All leaving out of the US), the bathrooms have both. The rooms have 110.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mrcamp
On all the cruises I have been on (All leaving out of the US), the bathrooms have both. The rooms have 110.
This. Ditto for hotels.

Which cruise line???

Last edited by milepig; Apr 26, 2015 at 5:34 pm
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milepig
Which cruise line???
Celebrity, Amsterdam to Stockholm. Conflicting answers when I posed on cruise critic and will call them [last two calls long hold time]

Originally Posted by MAN Pax
LOL, great suggestion. My wife said the same thing and we already ordered earlier today.

^^^
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is my travel tooth brush:

http://www.oralb.com/products/pulsar-toothbrush/

Built in battery. Last over two month continuous daily three times usage including during b2b TATL cruise with a pre or post crossing sailing added on.

I have stopped being part of cruise critic due to all the inaccurate information posted by member who doesn't know what they are talking about. It use to be good and is now a victim of it success.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For a toothbrush you can use a transformer design. To keep the weight down they have to be pretty low power but a toothbrush charger doesn't draw much. I've run various chargers off such units in China (220/50 power) and never had a problem.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Yep, Costco sells these in 6 pack and we've tried them in the past; not very satisfied. I prefer the one where you can swap batteries/brushes. But for a cruise and short trips, I agree they're more convenient and also don't have to be concerned about leaving behind in hotel room!

Thanks to all the suggestions and comments.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dtsm
Celebrity, Amsterdam to Stockholm. Conflicting answers when I posed on cruise critic and will call them [last two calls long hold time]
If you know the name of the vessel you can verify the cabin electrical supply on celebrity.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.