FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   iPhone 5 battery replacement program (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1605292-iphone-5-battery-replacement-program.html)

dtsm Aug 23, 2014 6:51 am

iPhone 5 battery replacement program

For certain serial numbers sold btw Sept 2012 and Jan 2013
http://www.iclarified.com/43307/appl...cement-program
https://ssl.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

crp5 Aug 23, 2014 3:47 pm

Thank you for posting. I just checked my serial number and was one of the lucky ones. My battery has been giving me fits for a few months but I chalked it up to running on the european networks so much. Always seems to drain faster when in the EU.

SteveMSflyer Aug 23, 2014 8:58 pm

Had mine replaced at Apple Store today. It was a painless 45 minute surgery. Post operation - 5 hours still at 87% versus pre-op I would be plugged in by now! Best part, free and a warranty to boot.

HDQDD Aug 25, 2014 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by SteveMSflyer (Post 23413529)
Had mine replaced at Apple Store today. It was a painless 45 minute surgery.

45 minutes?! That's certainly not "painless"!

Disclaimer: I realize Apple stores aren't exactly known for their efficiency (they're more like the USPS), but 45 min for a battery change is unacceptable.

dtsm Aug 26, 2014 7:34 am

Originally Posted by HDQDD (Post 23423978)
45 minutes?! That's certainly not "painless"!

Disclaimer: I realize Apple stores aren't exactly known for their efficiency (they're more like the USPS), but 45 min for a battery change is unacceptable.

The battery for 5 model is notoriously difficult to replace, unlike the 4 or 4 s and 45 minutes isn't that bad a time frame....better than having to come back the next day, right? ;)

IsleOfMan Aug 26, 2014 10:32 am

My wife's iPhone 5 didn't qualify, but the battery life has deffinitely tanked sharply over the last month (going on 20 months and 2 screen-replacements since it was new). It seems 7.1.2 may be the culprit, but none of the battery saving tricks/settings seem to help her get better than 1/2 day on a charge.

jsnydcsa Aug 26, 2014 11:07 am

My iPhone - Ding! Needs replacement. I had noticed wonky battery life recently (past 6-8 months) and chalked it up to age (of the phone, not me, my battery is barely holding on!)

Wife's iPhone - Nope. Good to go!

I am not looking forward to the replacement process as I'm told that even though you backup your phone, a lot of tweaks, settings, etc. get lost during such a battery replacement. If it's anything like the "simple" iOS upgrade, I'll have a lot of work to do.

crp5 Aug 26, 2014 3:08 pm

Made my appointment for this Saturday (In the EU to Friday) and can't wait to get my freedom from the Mophie back. Surprised they are replacing the battery only - assumed they had a stash of refurb units they would swap out for speed. Oh well - no complaints on my 5 other than battery life.

CPRich Aug 27, 2014 4:58 pm

I had mine replaced a year ago - 3 days before he warranty expired. I don't think it took more than 15 minutes after diagnosis/confirmation of replacement. Maybe 10.

kkjay77 Aug 28, 2014 11:02 am

Too bad I didn't know about it earlier.
I replaced the battery myself a couple of months ago voiding the warranty.

VizeL Aug 28, 2014 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by kkjay77 (Post 23438740)
Too bad I didn't know about it earlier.
I replaced the battery myself a couple of months ago voiding the warranty.

...., does replacing it yourself void the warranty? i did that myself like a month ago...

i lost two screws but what if i replaced the battery back?

HDQDD Aug 28, 2014 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 23434727)
I had mine replaced a year ago - 3 days before he warranty expired. I don't think it took more than 15 minutes after diagnosis/confirmation of replacement. Maybe 10.

That's more like I'd have expected.

dex08 Aug 30, 2014 12:55 pm

Took my phone in today for a pre-scheduled appointment and it qualified for both the battery replacement and the recent sleep/wake button replacement. The Apple Store I went to did not have any batteries and they were having to "order" them for everyone who had appointments, advising that they would likely receive their order in the next 2 business days, at which time the store would call them to come in for their battery replacement to occur.

As for my phone which needed both the new battery and replacement sleep/wake button replacement, the store had to send my phone away for repair and they gave me a loaner to use in the meanwhile. They said it'd take about 10 - 14 days for the repair. :(

DrJohn999 Sep 5, 2014 11:18 pm

Traveled around Europe for 2 weeks with a dying iPhone 5 battery and a USB battery pack to boost it up, which worked quite well but looked strange dangling from the phone. Ordered a replacement from Amazon before I left and then installed upon returning. Unlike SteveMSflyer's experience @ the iStore, it took me all of 8 minutes to pry the old battery out and install the new one.

Next day, my wife emails me a link to Apple's replacement program, and I see that mine would have qualified had I not replaced it myself. Oh well, saves a trip to the iStore, waiting in line for a "Genius", then waiting for the replacement. The new battery works great, it now only runs down to 70 - 80% in a day's normal usage while with the old battery it was dead by 3 PM.

Gaucho100K Sep 6, 2014 7:55 am

Thanks for posting this..... Ende to check my SN.....