Wiki Posts
Search

Best option for forward-able VOIP?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
Best option for forward-able VOIP?

What I'd like is to be able to forward my business cell phone to a USA based #, and then have that line ring on a travel cell over 3G/wifi VOIP. Basically I want people to be able to call the # they have for me locally in the USA and then have that ring my phone wherever I am, but not pay very much to talk. Also, I'd like to keep the same forwarding #, so every time I travel, it's a simple fix.

I'm thinking my best bet may be to buy a USA-based Skype # and then forward my calls to that. Then when I land, I get a local SIM and my calls will be forwarded to my mobile via Skype app.

2 Questions:

1. Is there a better option?

I know I could just get a local SIM, call Verizon and then have the calls forwarded to my "new" foreign number and it would be seamless, but then I have to pay for international calling on my home line. Given that I own the business, I don't want to pay for this.

2. Does Skype have voicemail? I'll want to be able to return calls I get while I'm in transit or sleeping.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check out voip.ms or callcentric.com.

Skype does have voicemail as an additional feature you can buy. Skype is probably the easiest route but not the cheapest (though still cheaper than Verizon roaming).
Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:35 pm

My only concern with Skype is that there seems to take a couple of rings before the call actually forwards.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
If your local SIMs include data service, then it seems to me Skype would have to be the cheapest per-minute option, as your cell is forwarding to a US number and then just using a data connection from there, avoiding international long distance rates. My biggest issue with this is I've never gotten Skype to work well on a mobile device, between battery drain, call quality, etc. You can always have Skype forward to your local number as well, which will probably run you somewhere between $0.04 and $0.11 per minute unless you're off the beaten path. Either way, you'll need to add the cost of a SkypeIn number on top of that - $2.50 to $5.00/month depending on whether you have a SkypeOut subscription.

I'm a big fan of voip.ms myself because of how flexible it is, as far as creating forwards, ring groups, time conditions, IVR, etc. The cost for an inbound DID is lower than a SkypeIn number, but the per-minute rates tend to be slightly higher than Skype for many other countries. If your call volume isn't too high, this may work out to be the cheaper all-in option.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
It's worth doing the research on which provider offers the best rates for calls to mobiles wherever you will be traveling. I agree that forwarding to Skype can be unreliable, I've had many cases where I thought I was logged in on my mobile only to find that it had disconnected itself.

VoIP.ms, Callcentric and Flowroute are all good options, in addition to skypeout. I've been pleasantly surprised at how competitive some of the Skype rates have become, particularly for calls to mobiles.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:15 am

I use callcentric for that exactly. Forget Skype - they are the most expensive for forwarding, and probably the most unreliable.The countries I spend extensive time in are Nigeria and the UK, and I have local sims for both. So, I just forward my AT&T number to my free callcentric DID,and forward callcentric to my local sim. Rates and quality are quite good.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mrcamp
I use callcentric for that exactly. Forget Skype - they are the most expensive for forwarding, and probably the most unreliable.The countries I spend extensive time in are Nigeria and the UK, and I have local sims for both. So, I just forward my AT&T number to my free callcentric DID,and forward callcentric to my local sim. Rates and quality are quite good.
I'm a big fan of Callcentric (and have had my fair share of problems with Skype in the past) but this is worth pointing out:

Rates to UK mobile (local SIM):
Callcentric: 20.35c / min

Rates to Nigeria mobile (local SIM):
Callcentric: 9.35c / min

As I mentioned above, some Skype rates have become really competitive recently. For any reasonable level of use, even taking into account the charge for the DID and the connection charge per call, Skype will probably work out cheaper than Callcentric for the usage you mention.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:12 am

Great! I was not aware that their rates have come down. UK and Nigeria mobiles used to be $0.28 and $0.26 respectively, plus the connection fee. Even up until a few months ago. With these new rates, the only other issue is the reliability issue and whatever the fee is for Skype US number. Callcentric DID is free.

Originally Posted by star_world
I'm a big fan of Callcentric (and have had my fair share of problems with Skype in the past) but this is worth pointing out:

Rates to UK mobile (local SIM):
Callcentric: 20.35c / min

Rates to Nigeria mobile (local SIM):
Callcentric: 9.35c / min

As I mentioned above, some Skype rates have become really competitive recently. For any reasonable level of use, even taking into account the charge for the DID and the connection charge per call, Skype will probably work out cheaper than Callcentric for the usage you mention.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:18 am

Money is one thing and the usually the big thing. Quality is obviously another. The third thing I want to toss out there is the ability to control call forwarding from a mobile device. If you have a foreign SIM with voicemail preconfigured before taking off this doesn't matter as much. Conversely, half of us are buying the SIM card in the airport on landing and trying to get it going on the fly.

I have my own Asterisks box and use Voicetrading as my main international long distance server. I am not thrilled with my temporary forwarding solution's prices (Line2) but I use them as my virtual mobile number and they are easy. I just looked at my annual bill and it came to under $50 for international forwards so I'm not going to worry about my bill. Skype offers this. VoxOx is another utility in this group but their rates look too high. Again, they are not the best rates, but you can change the forward on the fly and they have voicemail while calls are parked. What other solutions do people use?

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Jan 21, 2014 at 10:26 am
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Simple answer - localphone.com

lowest rates, easiest setup and the largest number of features including a callback service that works in many countries.

My google voice number is my main line and when I travel abroad I forward it to my localphone incoming number ($1/mo) and calls are automatically routed to whatever SIM card number I'm using anywhere in the world.

To make outbound calls from abroad cheaply, use the callback service - you dial the callback number for the country/nearest country you're in, and they will call your number back (your foreign SIM number needs to be pre-registered, but that's easy) and from there you dial anywhere in the world at localphone rates - this is priceless for those of us who have unlimited incoming calls on our foreign SIMs.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I use Kall8, and have for years. I send my 888 number to my local phone and receive the call. The cost of Kall8 is $2.00 a month plus a per/min charge depending on the country you are in. It is on my business card, and had no problems in any country I have been in. I use skype for outbound calls.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Sorry to bump an old thread but this seemed most relevant.

I'm looking to forward my Google Voice to an Israeli cell. In the past I had used Localphone, which worked fine. Paid $3 for US number and then $0.99/month and forwarded GV to it and it forwarded to my cell at $0.035/minute.

Trying to understand the other options being offered. Seems Callcentric offers a "free" US number and is cheaper per minute (save the $3 setup fee and the $0.99 monthly fee and pay $0.0198 instead of $0.035/minute). In addition, both offer an iNum option which is also cheaper. Google Voice can call iNum but I'm unclear as to whether it can forward to iNum.

Questions
  1. Will Callcentric to what Localphone used to for me, but for less?
  2. Does Callcentric really offer a free US number?
  3. Can GV forward to iNum?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:59 pm

Yes to questions 1&2.

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Questions
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by mrcamp
Yes to questions 1&2.
The Callcentric site is a lot heavier and keeps indicating the need to install software, softphone, get an IP phone, etc. Is any of this necessary if I'm just using it as an international forwarding service?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Sorry to bump an old thread but this seemed most relevant.

I'm looking to forward my Google Voice to an Israeli cell. In the past I had used Localphone, which worked fine. Paid $3 for US number and then $0.99/month and forwarded GV to it and it forwarded to my cell at $0.035/minute.

Trying to understand the other options being offered. Seems Callcentric offers a "free" US number and is cheaper per minute (save the $3 setup fee and the $0.99 monthly fee and pay $0.0198 instead of $0.035/minute). In addition, both offer an iNum option which is also cheaper. Google Voice can call iNum but I'm unclear as to whether it can forward to iNum.

Questions
Just tested and Google Voice charges 3 cents per minute to call an Inum - seems excessive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.