Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official 2014 "Which Smartphone Should I Get?"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: BA EC, EK Skywards, UA MP, A3 M+B
Originally Posted by gpf590
I've been reading some very good reviews on the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact, has anyone had any hands on experience with it?
if you can afford to wait for a few weeks to a month, the new Z3 compact will be out. larger screen and battery in practically the same size, while the specs have been increased. comes in a few fancy new colors too. it's probably the best android phone to compete with the new iphone 6, based off of size and price

also, who here uses WP8/8.1? this stupid lumia 620 is annoying me to no end
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sidewinderx5
if you can afford to wait for a few weeks to a month, the new Z3 compact will be out. larger screen and battery in practically the same size, while the specs have been increased. comes in a few fancy new colors too. it's probably the best android phone to compete with the new iphone 6, based off of size and price

I keep a Lumia 635 as a backup phone and don't have any issues with it, even app selection (surprisingly). My only real complaint is screen resolution but, again, it's a backup in case of an (inevitable) catastrophic failure of my Galaxy S4 GPE.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by murtaza12
I'm surprised that this Forum doesn't support Tapatalk.
Is there any other forum app that someone could use with this website?
There used to be a FlyerTalk app. I wonder where it went...

ETA: It appears the Android app has been discontinued until further notice.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Sep 11, 2014 at 10:08 am
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: BA EC, EK Skywards, UA MP, A3 M+B
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I keep a Lumia 635 as a backup phone and don't have any issues with it, even app selection (surprisingly). My only real complaint is screen resolution but, again, it's a backup in case of an (inevitable) catastrophic failure of my Galaxy S4 GPE.
aaah, but the 635 came out of the box running 8.1, so i dont really think that there would be any issues with that. my 620 is running the dev preview, cause they haven't officially updated it yet, and it is junk. music takes forever to load, and then crashes, while half the time the screen doesn't respond. i realize it's probably cause of the nature of the dev preview itself, but i cant go back to not customizing my notifications. with WP8, it's either let every little thing make a noise, which i hate, or silencing everything, which is a pain.

Last edited by sidewinderx5; Sep 11, 2014 at 9:52 am Reason: typos....
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
There used to be a FlyerTalk app. I wonder where it went...

ETA: It appears the Android app has been discontinued until further notice.
It was pretty terrible; I can't say I miss it. It may still be installed on one of my devices, if anyone is desperate for the APK but I'd recommend against going to the trouble.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:39 pm

If I'm not an Apple user, I'd go for Sony Xperia Z2 OR HTC One M8.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:55 am

I might even wait around to see if there is new Nexus offering in October!
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by fericks
If I'm not an Apple user, I'd go for Sony Xperia Z2 OR HTC One M8.
The 2014 Moto X looks awful tempting...but as Republic doesn't carry it yet I think I'll stay with my excellent (but cracked ) 2013 version.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:15 am

Any reviews on the Galaxy Tab 4 (7.0)?
I'm thinking of getting one since it's pretty cheap.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
BUMP.

I'm a big fan of WP 8/8.1

I started with a Samsung Focu when WP7 first came out then upgraded to the brick, Nokia Lumia 920. That has served me well for ~3 years and recently got the Lumia 735 in Malaysia.

I love their OS platform because of the live tiles and the simplicity. It's iOS for people who hate Apple. ^
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by murtaza12
Any reviews on the Galaxy Tab 4 (7.0)?
I'm thinking of getting one since it's pretty cheap.
I like the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 that I share with my kids... it's been updated to Android 4.4 and if you install Google Now Launcher, Nova, etc then TouchWiz stays mostly under the skin. I would buy the older 8.0 over the newer 7.0 as the 8" screen really is a nice sweet spot. Even the Tab 3 7.0 recently received a surprising 4.4 update... we have 2 of these kicking around the house for our sons, though it does have a bit more lag than the Tab 3 8.0 (though I've seen them as low as $79 on CowBoom as well, a solid choice at that price).

I've had my eye on either the Tab Pro 8.4 or Tab S 8.4 myself, but I don't think I'll ever spend more than $150 on an Android tablet again... the hardware race has cooled off enough and OS updates are accelerating in pace, so there's not as much downside to buying last year's hardware any more.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by flipstah
BUMP.

I'm a big fan of WP 8/8.1

I started with a Samsung Focu when WP7 first came out then upgraded to the brick, Nokia Lumia 920. That has served me well for ~3 years and recently got the Lumia 735 in Malaysia.

I love their OS platform because of the live tiles and the simplicity. It's iOS for people who hate Apple. ^
Still have my 635 at home as backup, but I haven't had reason to actually use it as such. My company just got me a Moto X 2014 so I'm trying to decide if I sell the 635 and keep my S4 GPE as backup, or sell the more valuable S4 and put the proceeds towards a Android Wear device (leaning towards the latter).
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:53 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Still delighted with the Lumia 1020 with WP8.1 / Developer preview etc.

I had a play with the IP6 and while very "nice", the interface did feel like a step backwards.

Once you've had WP8.1 it's a bit hard to go back...
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:26 am

Just got a 2014 Moto X from my company and I'm EXTREMELY impressed. It's barely bigger than my GS4, feels thinner AND fits the hand better (even though it's notably thicker in the middle), and has a very premium feel. I wanted the black leather back, but they shipped the black resin back... after spending some time with it, the black resin (soft touch) is probably the better choice for resisting wear-and-tear and still feels premium to the touch.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I'm extremely frugal when it comes to phones and I'm looking at getting a low-mid range smartphone.

The one that caught my eye is the Samsung Galaxy Core LTE, a basic quad-core device that ships with Jellybean.

My question is this: given that I am looking at lower end (and therefore less powerful) devices, would it be a bad idea to buy this now given that Lollipop 5.0 has recently been released? Would I be better off waiting a few months until devices designed with Lollipop in mind ship? Or does it not really make a difference?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.