Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sound Deadening not Cancellation Earplugs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Sound Deadening not Cancellation Earplugs

Hello, I was in a coffee shop today and there were about 8-9 people on their cell phones attempting to talk over one another and the other noise of shop. Couldn't even think much less read the newspaper and enjoy the morning.

With the recent FAA announcement allowing certain electronic devices , but not cell phone conversations, to be used all throughout the flight there will undoubtedly be a lot of "adult Linus's" who will insist on pushing the envelope and be constantly Skyping ,using their phone's etc. Eventually it will persist throughout the flight, with much the same result as the "coffee shop". In some flights I have been on , this is already happening!!

Does anyone have a recommendation for an earplug that will act as a "sound deadener"? NOT a "noise canceler"which allows conversations as is commonly discussed and found in internet searching.

Old Oct 31, 2013, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Get some silicone earplugs from a pharmacy. They will generally expand to cover your ear canal and lessen most air transmitted sounds.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wal...d-00004b8cd190
Old Oct 31, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Silicone plugs are good for swimming, but not really for normal noise reduction. The ones linked have an NRR of 22 - decent foam plugs are 30+. There's little price difference, so look for any 32-33NRR foam plug and - this is important - learn to insert them correctly - like this.

I just have a big box of Howard Leight MAX1 - $22 for a box of 200 at Amazon.

btw - in-air network service block skype/streaming, and everyone can listen to audio, watch video, etc., in the air today, and cell phones are banned just as they are today, so I don't really buy the "undoubtedly" part
Old Oct 31, 2013, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply.
"Banned" really means nothing to those who choose to ignore it or attempt to find a way to circumvent . I do not want to start a discussion as to what has happened or could be happening in the future. Just looking for earplugs that will give me silence , not noise reduction, and not hear the chatter on the flight. All I want to do is sleep in silence..

Ok, call me selfish.

Last edited by TJR9999; Oct 31, 2013 at 5:39 pm
Old Oct 31, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
Oh God, help us all. Even at 35,000 ft we still cannot escape the drivel
Old Oct 31, 2013, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by TJR9999
Does anyone have a recommendation for an earplug
I agree with CPRich, the disposables are great. I always have a pair in my wallet, but I'd suggest trying a given style before you buy 100s of them. Personally, I like the 3M E-A-Rsoft plugs with no cords. Here's an ebay link.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
look for any 32-33NRR foam plug
Ok, thanks for the help
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:57 pm

Etymotic Research

I have some in-ear headphones from Etymotic Research that do a great job of blocking out sound and are really comfortable. As a bonus they sound great. I use these just to drown out sound all the time.

The company also makes simple earplugs of the same design that are much cheaper:

http://www.etymotic.com/hp/
Old Nov 1, 2013, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, test a few plugs to see what you like - even individually, they shouldn't be more than a buck or two. There are many shapes, sizes, etc.

I use in-ear 'phones and fully endorse them also. They don't block as well when used passively, but obviously having music flow through them will block external sounds. Ety and Shure are long-time favorites, though I currently use VSonics. There is a long thread on preferred in-ear 'phones.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Originally Posted by kirkbauer
I have some in-ear headphones from Etymotic Research that do a great job of blocking out sound and are really comfortable. As a bonus they sound great. I use these just to drown out sound all the time.

The company also makes simple earplugs of the same design that are much cheaper:

^^
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kirkbauer

I came here to post this and you beat me to it! These work so well that you'll get annoyed hearing yourself.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 4:31 pm

I use Hearos Xtreme (blue) which is rated at 33 decibels. That is close to the theoretical maximum sound level that can be attenuated with ear plugs. Sold at Walgreens and other pharmacies.

For my Sony ear buds I replace the standard tips with Comply foam tips because they seem to block more outside sound. I don't know the decibel rating, but subjectively they are close to the Hearos Xtreme.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Bobster
I use Hearos Xtreme (blue) which is rated at 33 decibels. That is close to the theoretical maximum sound level that can be attenuated with ear plugs. Sold at Walgreens and other pharmacies.

For my Sony ear buds I replace the standard tips with Comply foam tips because they seem to block more outside sound. I don't know the decibel rating, but subjectively they are close to the Hearos Xtreme.

is there anything higher than 33 DB ? When I use the foam earplugs on the plane there is still a lot of noise , I read somewhere that your ear "flaps" also pick up the sound ,
I would like 20-30 % less noise if possible with an in ear plug
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

33NRR is all you can get with an ear plug. The human body simply has too many components that sympathetically vibrate with external sound waves and transmit them to your eardrum. (rap your knuckles on your head. See?)

If you place a good set of ear muffs over your in-ear plugs, cutting off vibrations from the outer part of your ears and a small portion of your skull, you can get to 36NRR (iirc) - 33NRR plugs and 31NRR muffs. I used to put NC PlaneQuiet muffs over my in-ear plugs.

Beyond that, you can bring along a motorcycle helmet to isolate sounds through your entire skull, and then a whole-body baffled anechoic isolation chamber.

Hearing Protection Options
Old Nov 3, 2013, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
a whole-body baffled anechoic isolation chamber.
I love mine; the foam baffles are so much more comfy to sit on than a conventional seat. On the down side, the Michelin Man jokes are tiresome and getting into the lav can be problematic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.