FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Prepaid SIM - UK/Great Britain/England/Scotland/Wales (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1447540-prepaid-sim-uk-great-britain-england-scotland-wales.html)

bkafrick Jan 21, 2014 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Consultette (Post 22193137)
My coworker has a 5s on 3 and has never seen 4G/LTE service. We were just talking about this a few days ago. He thinks the data service he will see in the US next week will blow his mind.

Lives in EC1 and works in WC2 - very central.

Interesting. I'd be marching into the closest 3 office with a print out of their map demanding answers...

Though perhaps thats not the British way of doing things?

ecgz88 Feb 17, 2014 10:58 pm

is it easier to pay $10 get a 3 SIM in London 3 store, or I can get free SIM in 3 store :confused:

then top up $15 for unlimited data?

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 (Post 21995239)
3's coverage in HK is good IME.
In the UK I can receive coverage >95% of the time in London (except for some parts of the tube and in some buildings.)

bkafrick Feb 25, 2014 5:22 am

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...203%20copy.jpg

I picked up one of these today for £20 at the Vending machine in Heathrow (terminal 3 outside customs).

Seems like a good deal, since it includes unlimited data for a month.

Works in my iPhone 5S so far (albeit not the greatest reception in my hotel).

richarddd Apr 4, 2014 7:09 pm

What's the current recommendation for a micro SIM that I can pay for with a US credit card and can get sent to the US, the only real need is for a few hundred MB of data for two weeks? It would be used with an unlocked Nexus 5.

CatJo Apr 5, 2014 9:40 am

Originally Posted by richarddd (Post 22651347)
What's the current recommendation for a micro SIM that I can pay for with a US credit card and can get sent to the US, the only real need is for a few hundred MB of data for two weeks? It would be used with an unlocked Nexus 5.

I think Giffgaff is still a great option (posted about them here); you can order a micro SIM from him.

gfunkdave Apr 5, 2014 9:47 am

You can also just buy a 3 SIM from the vending machines in the airports.

Marschel Apr 27, 2014 7:22 am

Lycamobile beats 3.

• 500 mins, unlimted texts and 4G data - £12

Voice with data

Note: MVNO of O2.

mojoe24 May 16, 2014 12:45 pm

Would hte 3 Sim work in other countries? I'll be going to several in Europe and am trying to figure out the best way to get data/voice/text.

Marschel May 17, 2014 8:10 am

Originally Posted by mojoe24 (Post 22875579)
Would hte 3 Sim work in other countries?

Yes.

mojoe24 May 17, 2014 10:42 am

Would it be more advisable to go another route or would the 3 sim be fine? I'll be in Ireland, England, Germany, France, Italy, and Romania.

kileysmom May 18, 2014 10:09 pm

I'm loaning my son my unlocked Samsung phone for a trip to England and Wales. They are arriving T3 and will need to get a pre-paid sim card with data before they leave LHR. Any suggestions, please?

Silver Fox May 19, 2014 12:50 am

If you want to check out giffgaff and want someone to post a SIM to your son, just PM me. I'll not be able to do it until next week when I return to the UK. I am not sure if he can activate/topup with a non-UK address and you will need to check that out. I think there have been threads about that here, but also the giffgaff forum is like an FT for giffgaffers so he can ask there! When he does activate he gets an extra £5 credit if I send him one. I have been using them for a few months now and their goodybags are good value. They use the O2 network which has good coverage (at least to the places I go). And I have no connection with them as anything other than a customer. And the mods can delete this if it is inappropriate. I think that covers everything !

richarddd May 19, 2014 4:29 am

My wife got giffgaff for a recent trip to England. Many people will send a SIM to the US. If Silver Fox isn't available, we used https://sites.google.com/site/joingiffgaff/ The SIM arrived in a few days and we had no trouble activating. The SIM is free, activation costs a minimum of £10. That plus £5 credit gets unlimited data for a month, plus a bunch of calls and texts.

Marschel May 19, 2014 9:20 am

Originally Posted by mojoe24 (Post 22879768)
Would it be more advisable to go another route or would the 3 sim be fine? I'll be in Ireland, England, Germany, France, Italy, and Romania.

You might buy another sim cards for France, Germany and Romania.

VisorThrower Jul 23, 2014 10:26 pm

I've read enough to the point I'm confused now. Advice needed:

In August, I fly to London for a week and then Paris for a week. I'm bringing my unlocked AT&T iPhone 5. The only thing I want is plenty of fast, reliable data for my iPhone. What's my best option?

- Should I get one SIM card that can roam in both London and France? If so, which?

- Should I get separate SIM cards for both London and France? If so, which?

Either way, what's the best way to acquire? Thanks for any help!