Wiki Posts
Search

What bit torrent sites safe? easy?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
What bit torrent sites safe? easy?

I know absolutely nothing about torrents. I'd like to download Seinfeld, Big Bang Theory maybe a few others. Don't have time to rip then format from DVD. Are there safe bit torrents (if I'm using the term correctly)? Can I download mp4 files? (Mac OSX)

Many thanks in advance
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by bbkenney
I know absolutely nothing about torrents. I'd like to download Seinfeld, Big Bang Theory maybe a few others. Don't have time to rip then format from DVD. Are there safe bit torrents (if I'm using the term correctly)? Can I download mp4 files? (Mac OSX)

Many thanks in advance
Aside from being in contravention of the Digital Millennium Copyright act.....?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)

Many thanks in advance
If you already own the DVDs, don't be so lazy; buy some decent ripping software, and it's pretty easy and quick if your computer is any good. DVDFab is great for this.

If you don't already own the DVD, just buy the series in digital format from Amazon or iTunes.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:19 am

Are there safe bit torrents
Assuming you don't already own the DVDs, you need to clarify the type of safety you're after. Are you worried that your illegal downloads will contain malware? Or are you concerned about someone tracing your illegal activity? As for the latter, the BitTorrent protocol was not designed for illicit activity, so people who want to cover their tracks have setup various schemes, such as invitation only sites that are only accessible to "trusted" members. As for malware, copyrighted material traded on the Internet is a great place to seed viruses, because no one with any brains reports their lost drug stash to the cops.

Last edited by boberonicus; Mar 9, 2012 at 1:27 am
Old Mar 9, 2012, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are good sites out there. If you are looking for TV shows try eztv.it If you want other types of material try Demonoid.me

Check out these links to keep yourself safe:

Encrypting BitTorrent traffic
http://lifehacker.com/167702/encrypt...orrent-traffic

How to Completely Anonymize Your BitTorrent Traffic with BTGuard
http://lifehacker.com/5863380/how-to...c-with-btguard

Five Ways to Download Torrents Anonymously
http://lifehacker.com/5617891/five-w...ts-anonymously

Five Best BitTorrent Applications
http://lifehacker.com/5813348

And for all of those who feel that bittorrent is only used to illegally download copyrighted material, you are wrong. Some shows are going straight to BT. A good SciFi show called L5 is one example.

http://www.l5-series.com/

There are also many out of copyright materials, and other perfectly legal reasons to download using bittorrent.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by planemechanic
And for all of those who feel that bittorrent is only used to illegally download copyrighted material, you are wrong. Some shows are going straight to BT. A good SciFi show called L5 is one example.

http://www.l5-series.com/

There are also many out of copyright materials, and other perfectly legal reasons to download using bittorrent.
Sure; it's (generally) the fastest way to download DVD images from the major free Linux distributions.

OTOH, the original poster was asking specifically about illegal use. It is trivially easy to find information on elsewhere, but I wouldn't encourage someone like that here on Flyertalk.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nkedel
Sure; it's (generally) the fastest way to download DVD images from the major free Linux distributions.

OTOH, the original poster was asking specifically about illegal use. It is trivially easy to find information on elsewhere, but I wouldn't encourage someone like that here on Flyertalk.
Someone like what?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 7:27 am

Delete, TMI
Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:49 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The Pirate Bay is one I use most. Last night the wife messed up the DVR setting for Big Bang, it was posted within minutes of the show ending.

Stay away from anything not seeded, any new movie posted late at night when the administrators aren't around to delete the junk files, and anything in a compressed format which usually requires a password.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not so much the sites themselves that aren't safe but the content. I'm not aware of any means by which video files can be infected, though.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: None anymore
Between the shows sites, the Broadcasters sites and Hulu/Amazon/Netflix its hard to find a reason to D/L a show ;P I mean waiting 24 hours can't kill you :P
With the exception of being out of country(which is solved with a proxy back in the USA)...
Old Mar 9, 2012, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flahusky
Between the shows sites, the Broadcasters sites and Hulu/Amazon/Netflix its hard to find a reason to D/L a show ;P I mean waiting 24 hours can't kill you :P
With the exception of being out of country(which is solved with a proxy back in the USA)...
Or the opposite situation--you want foreign TV that's not available here.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 10:25 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Bingo.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many good BBC and Australian shows that are not available otherwise.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 5:31 am

Programs: None anymore
Proxy in that country and check out the shows site, broadcast channel.
I know the couple UK shows I like aren't available anywhere but torrent.
They both have a huge following world wide so finding them isn't much of an issue. RSS feed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.