Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Bose QC 15 on UA 777 US

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2012, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
Help with Bose QC 15 on UA 777 US

I have a Bose headset, quiet comfort 15; I cannot get it to work in 1st class UA 777 SFO HNL; has new battery; works with PC computer, CD player etc.

The headset provided by UA works. My Bose does not. This happens on multiple trips; works on all other UA aircraft that offers a jack.

Thanks in advance...
Old May 7, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
do other (non UA) headsets/earphones work through the same jack?

I use Audio-Technica ANC7b and have sometimes had issues with some jacks, but other headsets have been fine - I have a short 3.5mm jack extension cord that must be some slightly different dimensions so if it fails with the original jack, I use the extension.

I have 2 of the 3.5mm to 2 prong (mental blank on the name) adapters as well, some planes/seats like one and not the other.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:41 pm

many airlines use a proprietary plug in first and business because they offer free headsets and don' want the customers stealing their high end earphones. So they use plugs that don't work anywhere else. I can't use the Bose on AA either. AA has Bose of its own which have a different wiring plan. try using it on the tablet they hand out in F.
Old May 8, 2012, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quick_dry
do other (non UA) headsets/earphones work through the same jack?

I use Audio-Technica ANC7b and have sometimes had issues with some jacks, but other headsets have been fine - I have a short 3.5mm jack extension cord that must be some slightly different dimensions so if it fails with the original jack, I use the extension.

I have 2 of the 3.5mm to 2 prong (mental blank on the name) adapters as well, some planes/seats like one and not the other.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am visiting the Bose store today and will share your thoughts. Will pick up a small extension as you suggested as well.

Uppereastff: These would be great to Hawaii; however, classified by UA, rightly so, as domestic, no such frills. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old May 8, 2012, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Pegasus23
I have a Bose headset, quiet comfort 15; I cannot get it to work in 1st class UA 777 SFO HNL; has new battery; works with PC computer, CD player etc.

The headset provided by UA works. My Bose does not. This happens on multiple trips; works on all other UA aircraft that offers a jack.

Thanks in advance...
what exactly doesn't work? I used to fly the PMUA domestic 772 all the time with my Bose QC2s. They work fine. In some cases, I had to flip the hi/low switch on the cord, but either way it still worked. It's just the single small connector on that plane. It's not a proprietary connector, it's the same single small pin connector as all PMUA domestic planes.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; May 8, 2012 at 1:49 pm
Old May 8, 2012, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
what exactly doesn't work? I used to fly the PMUA domestic 772 all the time with my Bose QC2s. They work fine. In some cases, I had to flip the hi/low switch on the cord, but either way it still worked. It's just the single small connector on that plane. It's not a proprietary connector, it's the same single small pin connector as all PMUA domestic planes.

-David
Right. What doesn't work is the electronic impulses that travel through the wire from the plane's entertainment unit. [jack] Wire is not defective. works on other planes just fine and all other jacks. Not on 777 us, sometimes I hear static; only on this plane.

I do not have a high low switch on the cord. I bought my Bose unit from factory new. 3 years ago.
Old May 8, 2012, 10:39 pm

Right. What doesn't work is the electronic impulses that travel through the wire from the plane's entertainment unit. [jack] Wire is not defective. works on other planes just fine and all other jacks. Not on 777 us, sometimes I hear static; only on this plane.
hahaha, very funny. I guess I deserved that for trying to be helpful.

I do not have a high low switch on the cord. I bought my Bose unit from factory new. 3 years ago.
Here's the manual, the hi/low switch has been around for a long time. It's hidden where you plug the cord into the headphone.

http://worldwide.bose.com/common/en/...wg_en_qc15.pdf

Anyway, you would still get movement of electrons with the hi/low switch in the wrong position, it would just be too loud or too soft. If you adjust the volume up or down you should still hear something.

Did you try your seatmates jack? Is it just one occurrence or multiple occurrences? If it's multiple occurrences, I would just call Bose, they should send you a new cord. Or try the extension next time. Yes, I know you said it's not the cord or jack, but it might not be making a great connection at that seat. Sometimes that happens and I play with the cord at the jack and sometimes get it to work better.

At any rate, there's nothing special about the headphone jacks on the PMUA domestic 772. Your QC15s should be working there.

Are you using the cord with the remote stuff on it? If you are, I would try the other one. I don't have any of that. Wonder if any of that is somehow interfering with it.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; May 8, 2012 at 10:46 pm
Old May 9, 2012, 6:15 am
Original Poster

hahaha, very funny. I guess I deserved that for trying to be helpful.

Here's the manual, the hi/low switch has been around for a long time. It's hidden where you plug the cord into the headphone.

http://worldwide.bose.com/common/en/...wg_en_qc15.pdf

Anyway, you would still get movement of electrons with the hi/low switch in the wrong position, it would just be too loud or too soft. If you adjust the volume up or down you should still hear something.

Did you try your seatmates jack? Is it just one occurrence or multiple occurrences? If it's multiple occurrences, I would just call Bose, they should send you a new cord. Or try the extension next time. Yes, I know you said it's not the cord or jack, but it might not be making a great connection at that seat. Sometimes that happens and I play with the cord at the jack and sometimes get it to work better.

At any rate, there's nothing special about the headphone jacks on the PMUA domestic 772. Your QC15s should be working there.

Are you using the cord with the remote stuff on it? If you are, I would try the other one. I don't have any of that. Wonder if any of that is somehow interfering with it.

-David
Thanks for the manual...And I now have a hi lo switch [s]. it was in the hi position so tomorrow I will try lo. Also, I don't have the remote stuff...but if it shows up I will give you credit. If you have time....could you remind Jeff I am still waiting for my UC card and 1K 2012 card, from last Nov..... thats...2011. I will keep you posted, and have been a pest trying many jacks in 1st on several different flights....Oh sorry...you were sleeping...can I have your autograph? Thanks!
Old May 9, 2012, 6:26 am

Glad you found the switch, but if it was in the high position, you would have heard something. I think you should just get a different cable from Bose. I know this one works on other planes, but the pin end may have a problem that only shows up on this plane? It's just a guess, but I can't imagine what else it could be. As I type this, yes, it even sounds odd to me. Not sure what else to try though. Oh, next time you are on the 772, maybe you can find somebody else with QC15s?

As for the United stuff, send an email to Jeff. Apparently he answers. (there are still people who haven't gotten their 1k cards? Mine came late, but I eventually got it.)

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; May 9, 2012 at 6:32 am
Old May 9, 2012, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Glad you found the switch, but if it was in the high position, you would have heard something. I think you should just get a different cable from Bose. I know this one works on other planes, but the pin end may have a problem that only shows up on this plane? It's just a guess, but I can't imagine what else it could be. As I type this, yes, it even sounds odd to me. Not sure what else to try though. Oh, next time you are on the 772, maybe you can find somebody else with QC15s?

As for the United stuff, send an email to Jeff. Apparently he answers. (there are still people who haven't gotten their 1k cards? Mine came late, but I eventually got it.)

-David
Thanks, good ideas! Now where did I put Jeff's email......
Old May 9, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I have found on some planes (not these) inserting the plug all the way in means the headphones don't work (not QC15). Something about the pins in the jack don't quite match up with the standard jack. Pulling it out slightly usually does the trick.

but this may be totally unrelated to your problem.
Old May 11, 2012, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Update!

It works on 772! The Hi-Lo switch was the issue. I tried the switch on Hi and did not work. Moved switch to Lo and instant sound.

Also worked on a 320 with the switch on Lo .

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Great sleuthing LIH Prem!
Old May 11, 2012, 10:26 pm

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Great sleuthing LIH Prem!
Hey, it was just a guess, but I'm glad we figured it out.

Now you can try this: [email protected]

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.