Reload this Page >

New Asus 802.11n travel router

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Asus 802.11n travel router

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 5:04 pm

I use a DLink travel router I bought a while ago. It also runs on USB power (optionally)
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by docbert
I bought one in Singapore a bit over a month ago for S$40. It's basically the same as their 703N version, only with a switch to change between modes.

Failed to work with my Virgin Australia 3G card until I re-flashed it with Optus firmware, at which point it worked fine as a 3G gateway. I haven't tried it in any of the other modes yet.

It comes with a USB Y power cable. Connected to my Sony Vaio TZ it works fine with just one of the cables plugged in right up until I plug in the USB 3G card, at which point it needs both to power it.

There's work going on to get OpenWRT/DD-WRT working on it, which could get interesting.

Frys are selling them for $40 - http://www.frys.com/product/6902537
Not available for shipping, but the Sunnyvale store had 3 of them in stock when I was there this afternoon.
Which travel do you guys think is better, this TP-Link model or the ASUS one that kick-started this thread?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:46 am

FYI, there is a $20 MIR for this router through January.

http://www.mirhelp.com/wp-content/up...-Jan-31-12.pdf

Microcenter has it for $59.99, so I've got one on hold and will submit the MIR as well, bringing me just under my $40 threshold.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by YYZC2
FYI, there is a $20 MIR for this router through January.

http://www.mirhelp.com/wp-content/up...-Jan-31-12.pdf

Microcenter has it for $59.99, so I've got one on hold and will submit the MIR as well, bringing me just under my $40 threshold.
Thanks for this tip! I just ordered one from Microcenter also. It's only $13 more than buying the ASUS WL-330GE.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 2:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
And the answer, finally, took a lot of Googling is yes there is a 5GHz 3G router. http://www.pepwave.com/document/Pepw...he-Go_rev1.pdf powering this from USB is going to be a problem because it's 12V. However, it eats a maximum of 5W which means if one can find an 5V->12V converter (such a step converter is a trivial circuit) with the right endings it might be powered from two USB ports...

It's also not cheap http://3gstore.com/product/3498_surf...4g-router.html: $99. But, but, 5GHz!

Speaking of USB-powered, just for curiosity, there exists a USB powered switch.

Last edited by chx1975; Jan 15, 2012 at 5:12 am
Old Jan 29, 2012, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Gold, KLM Gold
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I think the difference between the two is that the Asus can also catch a hotel wifi network and retransmit it as a different SSID, allowing you to pay the hotel for one connection and split it among multiple wifi devices.
I picked up an Asus 303ng last week, so far:
1. Very small and light
2. Appalling - truly appalling user interface. It even changes ip address depending on the mode you have it in. It reboots to do trivial changes. The manual is a joke (reminiscent of early windows help files - press the OK button if it's ok etc).
3. I completely failed to get it to share wifi in the Marriott. Searching the net seems to suggest it can't share if the wifi needs you to sign in on a login page. As the vast majority of hotel wifi requires this, the benefit of the Asus is minimal.

I hope they address some of these issues with a firmware update.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:07 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pteron
I picked up an Asus 303ng last week, so far:
I presume you mean a WL-330N3G ? As far as I can see there's no such thing as a 303NG

3. I completely failed to get it to share wifi in the Marriott. Searching the net seems to suggest it can't share if the wifi needs you to sign in on a login page. As the vast majority of hotel wifi requires this, the benefit of the Asus is minimal.
I find that hard to believe - simply because the portal should be completely transparent to the router. Hotel portals simply intercept the web request when the user isn't logged in, and redirects them to the login page. The router plays no part in that process, and shouldn't have any awareness that it's even going on.

Hotel/Airport/AT&T/etc portal/login pages work perfectly with my Asus WL-330gE
Old Jan 29, 2012, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by docbert
I find that hard to believe - simply because the portal should be completely transparent to the router.
How pleasant of you to cast aspersions on my veracity.

So you haven't used a 330ng?

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2S5HYR...R2S5HYRAO8W550

Appears to have the same problem.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:19 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I bought one of these things two weeks ago.

Gotta agree - some major flaws with this thing - its a long way from plug and play.

I too could not get wifi sharing to work, and had frequent dropouts when using an Ethernet connection.

The UI is nothing short of bizarre - the commands are unclear and it switches IPs at will...

I updated to firmware 1.0.2.0 and it's still really flaky.

I'm a big Asus fan but this thing is not ready for prime time...
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Mine works great

I saw those Amazon (and NewEgg) reviews before buying mine a few weeks ago, and am glad to report that I've had no problems at all using mine as intended. Logged on at a Hyatt last week, signed up through their portal (had to choose Standard Internet at a price, which wasn't charged as a Platinum) using an iPad connected to my WL-330N3G, after which several iPhones and iPods had no problems using the internet for two days.

I really like this router; it's so small & light, USB powered is a huge bonus and it has worked perfectly as expected.

For those who had issues, what was the problem instructing the router to connect to the hotel Wi-Fi? Were you able to see the hotel portal from the first device that tried to go online after that?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:44 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

My biggest beef is that in router mode (ie hotel Ethernet sharing) I keep getting asked to re-authenticate on one or more devices...

My second biggest issue is the repeater mode using the same SSID as the original wireless network, and my iPad sometimes favors the original...
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by CatJo
For those who had issues, what was the problem instructing the router to connect to the hotel Wi-Fi? Were you able to see the hotel portal from the first device that tried to go online after that?
I set it to wifi sharing, closed the box that suggests everything would be more reliable if I used the Ethernet cable and selected the hotel wifi in the scan list. On clicking connect the modem reboots. Once it has come back, my iPad picks up its wifi but there is no connection beyond the router. The router reports it's connected towards the top of the page.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
I set it to wifi sharing, closed the box that suggests everything would be more reliable if I used the Ethernet cable and selected the hotel wifi in the scan list. On clicking connect the modem reboots. Once it has come back, my iPad picks up its wifi but there is no connection beyond the router. The router reports it's connected towards the top of the page.
The strange part is that your modem reboots after connecting to the hotel Wi-Fi; mine doesn't do that. Have you upgraded to the newer firmware on Asus' site? Mine came with one version older than the latest and I upgraded it; perhaps give that a try if you haven't already.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
How pleasant of you to cast aspersions on my veracity.
Well your veracity has so far had you using 2 different product names/numbers for this device, neither of which are correct. So surely I can cast aspersions on at least that part of your report, no?

Yes, that person does appear to have problems. The 6 people on Amazon that gave it a 4 or 5 (out of 5) review appear not to have the same problem - but you didn't link to them. Even the one other review from someone that had issues includes a comment from someone else saying that it works for them.

The device definitely supports what you're trying to do - in fact, it's covered in their YouTube Intro Video.

What mode are you using the device in? Repeater mode or Hot Spot mode? (it should be the latter). Have you tried it with your primary computer connected via Wifi, or via Ethernet? (The video and the manual both show it connected via Ethernet).
Old Jan 29, 2012, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by CatJo
The strange part is that your modem reboots after connecting to the hotel Wi-Fi; mine doesn't do that. Have you upgraded to the newer firmware on Asus' site? Mine came with one version older than the latest and I upgraded it; perhaps give that a try if you haven't already.
When you've selected the wifi network in the list on the right hand side and click on the connect button at the bottom of the list, do you not get the 'processing' pop up? If you look at the modem lights do they not cycle like at startup?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.