Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iPhoneTrip Reviews?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2011, 5:03 pm

Thumbs down

Complaint retracted 10-22-11

The company has contacted me and provided a full refund for the service time that I was not able to use. They also updated their website to clarify their usage policy. Thus, I hereby retract my complaint for this company.

Last edited by kgilbert; Oct 22, 2011 at 9:06 pm
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by travelkid
You get them at most airports. But google for best service in advance.
the problem i had was that i was on a cruise and not going to train stations. but yes that would be a good idea. a great website is prepaidgsm.com or something like that, but it took me about an hour to get it all working because of needing to do changes in my nexus one, easier was the access point.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
It is not a shady company. Many of us have used them with no problems at all (myself included). The agreement you get from them does say you get up to I forget which 7gb or 8gb per week of your agreement.

I do agree that unless you were downloading movies it would be hard to go through 8th in a day.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
i also worry much as i did about people posting reviews saying its great with no posts now posting a review saying it sucks with no posts ever on the board.

create a account on a frequent flyer message board in a slightly obscure forum on that same board to complain about a service? hey i'm happy for info, but i would probably have gone to epinions or something like that instead of here if I hadn't already been coming her before..

maybe xcom global would have been a good fit for that guy that was my backup.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Yeah the newbie posts are suspicious, kind of like TA reviews which are suspected of being from a competitor.

But I wouldn't think international mobile packages is such a contentious market that iphonetrip's competitors would be bothering attempting such shenanigans.

Then again, you never know.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 2:33 am

Programs: QFF SG
I also think the 'do not use' reviews are incorrect too. I've now used iPhoneTrip 3 times, and have been very happy. Their support is fast to respond, and they happily sent me a whole bunch (5?) of SIM cards at once so I don't have to pay for freight.

When I go travelling, I place an order and enter the serial number of the SIM card I plan to use for that trip. They then activate it, and only charge for the days used, and refund the postage.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:22 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Giving iphonetrip another shot (but with reservations)

Originally Posted by wco81
Yeah the newbie posts are suspicious, kind of like TA reviews which are suspected of being from a competitor.

But I wouldn't think international mobile packages is such a contentious market that iphonetrip's competitors would be bothering attempting such shenanigans.

Then again, you never know.
Rumor has it that I'm not a newbie 'round here.

Taking a trip to China shortly and will be trying iphonetrip again. They have a new lower-priced offering... $8/day, 1gig limit total (duration of trip, not per day). If you need another gig they charge $70 more. If you're not going to use too much data this plan seems to make sense; otherwise, for $12/day, you can get unlimited data (although that actually appears to be 1 gig/day from what I've read elsewhere).

I remain concerned about the relative, er, unprofessionalism and lack of safety of their site. You should not, ever, be giving credit card info over the 'net to a site that's not https://....... (secure). But their credit card form is on a standard http:// site, offering no encryption, no security assurances whatsoever.

Let you know soon how it turns out! --Mike--

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Oct 30, 2011 at 12:28 am Reason: merge
Old Oct 30, 2011, 5:26 pm

Programs: QFF SG
Does anyone know which network this new plan uses in the USA (for a non-US citizen visiting the US?

It is described as ....
Data Only US $6.99/day
Get unlimited 4G internet access on the best LTE network in US. Pick this plan if you need only internet access, since voice and texting are restricted. Highly recommended for iPad and USB modem users.

I am curious as I want to use it with a Huawei e585 u-82 and want to make sure the network will work with this device, otherwise I'll go for the $11.99/day plan which I know is AT&T
Old Nov 13, 2011, 1:09 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by DeKa
Does anyone know which network this new plan uses in the USA (for a non-US citizen visiting the US?

It is described as ....
Data Only US $6.99/day
Get unlimited 4G internet access on the best LTE network in US. Pick this plan if you need only internet access, since voice and texting are restricted. Highly recommended for iPad and USB modem users.

I am curious as I want to use it with a Huawei e585 u-82 and want to make sure the network will work with this device, otherwise I'll go for the $11.99/day plan which I know is AT&T
That's a good question. My assumption had been that all iPhoneTrip offerings were using AT&Ts infrastructure, but not if it's 4G.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:58 pm

Avoid iphonetrip! Does not work!

I ordered a MiFi wireless device for the British Virgin Islands (where luckily most of which you can still get reliable US coverage via the US virgin Islands). I ordered the MiFi device plus unlimited data for 9 days.

My device arrived the day before I left. I noticed immediately they had sent the wrong kind of SIM card plus an adapter. I called and complained and their Indian tech support just gives you the run around about how it's going to work just fine and trust them. I kept insisting they overnight me the right SIM card, but no luck.

Of course as soon as I arrived in the BVIs and the SIM card was activated it didn't work. The device never recognized the SIM card. the device did not come with the card in, I had to insert it. I took it out and put it back in about 100 times with and without the adapter, the correct direction, the wrong direction, upside down, and so on. I've wasted hours on it.

Their tech support has been responsive to email but they just told me that I ordered the wrong kind of SIM card. ...??? I ordered the device. It's their job to provide the right sim card. PLUS I even complained that it wouldn't work as soon as i saw it.

I have yet to receive a refund yet. I'm sure I'm going to have to let Amex battle it out.

I am most upset because I could have gone with a different provider and actually had Internet and instead I have to hope for free wireless at cafes/restaurants or pay for international roaming.

this is a massive waste of your time and money!! Try Cellhire instead - I used to use them and had great luck.

Avoid iphonetrip - they are a scam!!
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
I used them earlier this year without any problems and just purchased another card with them for my trip to WAW. Two things I noticed this time-it came from a local Milwaukee vendor and this time they sent a spare card to use for the next time, which will save on shipping, which I think is fantastic.

Interesting though, I did not get directions this time like I did last time, but I think that comes in email now.

It will be interesting to see how it works across several countries in a weekend, passing through YUL-AMS-WAW-YYZ and back home again.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
This thread has seen a lot of newbie posters.

Who would guess that this niche business has so much fake touts and negative reviewers?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by LINDZFLYER
I ordered a MiFi wireless device for the British Virgin Islands (where luckily most of which you can still get reliable US coverage via the US virgin Islands). I ordered the MiFi device plus unlimited data for 9 days.

My device arrived the day before I left. I noticed immediately they had sent the wrong kind of SIM card plus an adapter. I called and complained and their Indian tech support just gives you the run around about how it's going to work just fine and trust them. I kept insisting they overnight me the right SIM card, but no luck.

Of course as soon as I arrived in the BVIs and the SIM card was activated it didn't work. The device never recognized the SIM card. the device did not come with the card in, I had to insert it. I took it out and put it back in about 100 times with and without the adapter, the correct direction, the wrong direction, upside down, and so on. I've wasted hours on it.

Their tech support has been responsive to email but they just told me that I ordered the wrong kind of SIM card. ...??? I ordered the device. It's their job to provide the right sim card. PLUS I even complained that it wouldn't work as soon as i saw it.

I have yet to receive a refund yet. I'm sure I'm going to have to let Amex battle it out.

I am most upset because I could have gone with a different provider and actually had Internet and instead I have to hope for free wireless at cafes/restaurants or pay for international roaming.

this is a massive waste of your time and money!! Try Cellhire instead - I used to use them and had great luck.

Avoid iphonetrip - they are a scam!!
  • Just because a company (may have) made a mistake doesn't mean they're a scam.
  • If they sent you a micro sim and an adapter, and your mifi unit takes a standard sim, everything should have worked fine.

On my recent trip to China, I ordered a micro sim and an adapter. Why? Because I had two phones I wanted to use it in, a jailbroken iPhone3G (which takes a standard sim) and a non-jailbroken iPhone4S (which requires a micro-sim).

I had no issues at all using the micro-sim plus adapter in the iPhone3G. Nor any issues with the micro-sim on its own in the iPhone4S. Did you famiiarize yourself with the micro-sim+adapter arrangement before leaving? It sure sounds like a contact issue (realizing that you said you'd tried the card various different ways).

The technology can be a bit confusing at first, and yes, it would be nice if, when sending out a mifi device, they have the card already inserted. Unfortunately, they can't actually test it first, because the card can't be tested until activated.

I've used iPhoneTrip twice now and each time been very pleased with how things work. I'll admit that the first time I was a bit confused for a day or two. If someone's really concerned how it's all going to work out, I'd suggest adding a couple days at the front end so you can test it before you leave. That's going to be a bit more costly than first appears because you'd be paying not only for the extra days, but also for a "world" service which is a bit more expensive (per day) than a service for a specific country.

Sorry things didn't go better for you. The company structure is definitely a bit strange, but I've not seen indications it's a scam.
Originally Posted by wco81
This thread has seen a lot of newbie posters.
Like me?

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Nov 21, 2011 at 2:16 pm Reason: clarity
Old Nov 22, 2011, 1:07 am

This is semi off topic, but I have an unlocked 3GS and a locked iPhone 4. I replaced the SIM tray on my 3GS with a micro sim tray that cost about $5 off EBay. It is a much better fit than the adapters.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
This is semi off topic, but I have an unlocked 3GS and a locked iPhone 4. I replaced the SIM tray on my 3GS with a micro sim tray that cost about $5 off EBay. It is a much better fit than the adapters.
That's a great idea! ^

Not off-topic at all; this is all about making travel tech work for us. I never considered such a simple solution... for those of us with eyes that don't work like they used to, fiddling with adapters is a bit of a pain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.