Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA says new airport ID rule is not about control

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

The following was posted to the TSA blog today:

New ID Requirements Begin Tomorrow

If you’re flying tomorrow, or anytime in the near future, you may want to make a note that tomorrow is the day the TSA enhances its ID requirements. There have been many misconceptions of the new requirements and I just wanted to attempt to clear things up a little bit.

We’ve all been there. You’ve got a million things to do before you fly. Pay bills, pack, get the kids ready, get your clothes from the dry cleaner, you name it. Whatever it is you have to do, it’s inevitable that you’ll forget at least one of them from time to time. (Hopefully not the kids) I usually forget my toothbrush.

What if you forget your ID? Is your vacation ruined? Are you going to miss your meeting? Are you going to miss the Elvis Costello show this weekend at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall? Not at all… If you simply state you forgot your ID, we will work with you to verify your ID, you may undergo some additional screening and will be permitted to fly.

On the other hand, if you do not cooperate and state that you’re not willing to show us your ID, you will not be permitted to fly.

You show your ID to test drive a car, view an apartment, buy a house, cash a check, buy cigarettes or alcohol, rent videos and so forth. The list could go on and in some of these circumstances; they hold onto your card or make a copy. We’re just asking for a few moments of your time to ensure your name matches the name on your ticket.

Is this about control? No. It’s about knowing who is getting on the plane. It’s about shifting our focus towards people instead of items on a list. You know as well as we do that you can make a weapon out of anything. The naked human body of someone skilled in martial arts is far more dangerous than most people with a weapon. We know that and we’re shifting towards that line of thought. It is going to be a huge change in our culture, but I and others firmly believe this is the proper evolution path for security.

If our goal is to keep bad people off of planes, and our law enforcement and intelligence partners have gone to the lengths of creating watch lists of known terrorists to keep them off said planes, we have to know for sure that each person who goes through matches the name on their boarding pass and is who they say they are. Most people are not a threat, but we know there are people out there that could pose a threat. Letting anyone go through who says “I don’t want to show my ID” is not good security. It’s not a poke in the eye to certain folks – it’s about security for everyone and we view verifying identity as importantly as we view having passengers pass through metal detectors.

Make sure you also check out Christopher's blog post on IDs.

Bob

EoS Blog Team
Old Jun 20, 2008, 5:17 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"Is this about control? No. It’s about knowing who is getting on the plane. It’s about shifting our focus towards people instead of items on a list. You know as well as we do that you can make a weapon out of anything. The naked human body of someone skilled in martial arts is far more dangerous than most people with a weapon. We know that and we’re shifting towards that line of thought. It is going to be a huge change in our culture, but I and others firmly believe this is the proper evolution path for security."

It's none of your damn business who files, you un-American piece of offal.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The TSA is lying yet again.

This ID rule is absolutely about asserting yet even more control.

The TSA lying idiots wrongly believe that ID is security and that is why they are asserting even more control to forcefully identify passengers as part of the process of allowing someone to travel.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL, AA
It’s about shifting our focus towards people instead of items on a list.
So is Bob announcing a move away from the liquid/gel restrictions? After all, a naked martial arts expert is more dangerous than my shampoo. Nah... this is the TSA. Instead, all black-belts will now be required to undergo additional background checks and a psychological screening before boarding.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:12 pm

Programs: I work for the TSA
My personal belief is that we are moving toward a "trusted flyer" program in which some passengers will be eligible for expedited screening based on a perceived low threat level. If it's carried out properly, that will be a good thing!

The first step in making this work is putting systems in place to positively identify passengers, including training staff (and, given what the TSA has to work with in some cases, that's no small challenge!).

If we're going to give good guy 'John Doe' a pass on some aspects of screening, we'd better be really, really sure the passenger who presents himself as 'John Doe' really IS John Doe, and not a terrorist impersonating him to bypass some levels of scrutiny.

Again, I want to reiterate that this is my personal opinion, not based on any 'insider information,' as obviously I'm not high enough of the TSA food chain to be privy to any really interesting stuff.

(And that's absolutely OK with me!)
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:26 pm

Don't they realize there is a first time for everything?

What is preventing me from snapping tomorrow and pulling a Timothy McVey? I'm not on any watch lists. I'm a white american. I can still be a terrorist.

We need to focus more on not pi$$ing other countries off.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:28 pm

we will work with you to verify your ID
Translation: We will ask you a large number of invasive questions, and you must answer all of them, and we will search through all of the documents in your wallet.

I was going to say something sarcastic here about credit cards, but this is simply not a joking matter anymore.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Wrong! I've never shown ID to rent a movie. More TSA spin.

Last edited by Georgia Peach; Jun 21, 2008 at 12:16 am
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Georgia Peach
Wrong! I've never shown Id to rent a movie. More TSA spin.
And I still can't figure out why apartment complexes request ID to view apartments...Is there a "no rent" list or are they just weeding out illegals?
Old Jun 20, 2008, 7:21 pm

Programs: CO
I've never been asked for ID to rent a movie OR view an apartment.

I'd also like to point out that buying a house or a car, cashing a check and buying cigarettes/alcohol are all actions which are guided by laws on state and federal books. The TSA just makes this crap up as they go along.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 7:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by gj83
And I still can't figure out why apartment complexes request ID to view apartments...Is there a "no rent" list or are they just weeding out illegals?
Sort of.

Patriot Act provisions allow landlords to "protect themselves" by running prospective applicant names by the Office of Foreign Assets Control's list of Specially Designated Nationals (SDN). OFAC Compliance FAQ. Criminal fines and penalties are steep for any individual or entity caught doing business with SDNs.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 7:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by pmocek
The following was posted to the TSA blog today:
Like clockwork:

Originally Posted by Evolution of Security blog
posted by Bob at 5:47 PM
Old Jun 20, 2008, 7:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; HHonors Gold
Well gee, does this mean that each and every ID will be checked against the no-fly list, Bob? What's that? It won't? Holy Smokes, Bob, I thought you were trying to protect America with this stuff? What's that? Each screener will be required to memorize the appearance of every concievable ID and the names of all those on the no-fly list? Well, geez, that sounds really hard, but if anyone can do itr, it's the heroes of the Terryist Stopping Agency.

Henry
Old Jun 20, 2008, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gj83
Originally Posted by essxjay
Sort of.

Patriot Act provisions allow landlords to "protect themselves" by running prospective applicant names by the Office of Foreign Assets Control's list of Specially Designated Nationals (SDN). OFAC Compliance FAQ. Criminal fines and penalties are steep for any individual or entity caught doing business with SDNs.
Yes. Also, some landlords have even supplied the government with a list of all their tenants and/or facilitated secret government searches of apartment building tenants.

[It's also been done for the protection of the landlord's broker and/or representative showing the property to deal with the risk of assault.]
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by Steelehc
Well gee, does this mean that each and every ID will be checked against the no-fly list, Bob?
By TSA logic, it won't have to be. The airline's passenger list will have already been screened. If a passenger is on the no-fly list, they won't be able to check-in. So, if you have a boarding pass and ID to prove that you are the person to whom the boarding pass is issued, you are not on the no-fly list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.