Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA blog addresses the new airport ID rule

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2008, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

TSA blog addresses the new airport ID rule

The TSA blog finally addressed the new TSA airport ID rule that is to become effective on June 21, 2008. See "Why is ID Important for Security?" posted today.

It begins:

Last week we announced on our Web site a plan to begin REQUIRING ID from travelers on June 21st. This plan includes enabling our officers to refuse entry into the area beyond the security checkpoint anyone that does not cooperate with us to establish his or her identity. The exclusive reason to do this is to ensure people are who they say they are and are not gaming the system by using a boarding pass in a fake name; a well-known endeavor of professionals and college kids alike that could potentially circumvent the no-fly list.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The following comment was submitted.

"Circumventing watch list matching" is a joke and will remain a joke even after the implementation date.

Speaking of watch lists and no fly lists, if someone is dangerous enough to be on a watch list or a no-fly list, shouldn't they be dangerous enough to be arrested and/or prosecuted and convicted in a court of law? However that is exactly what does not happen in the overwhelming majority of cases where a person with a name on the watch list or no-fly lists attempts to travel and does NOT attempt to "circumvent the watch list".

All such administrative requirements from the TSA are very much like what the Nazis and Soviets did, the very things that our parents and grandparents in uniform fought against in the Second World War and during the Cold War: "Your papers!", government permission to travel domestically, etc.

Did we lose the Second World War and the Cold War only to adopt the ways of our enemies? History books say America won, but it looks like the TSA is intent on adopting the same kind of means of control that were favored by the Nazis and the Soviets who were on the losing side of history.
Let's see if they publish it.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

TSA seems to publish most comments

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The following comment was submitted.

[snip]

Let's see if they publish it.
Based on my experience there, I'd say that it is likely they will. They do require moderation before posting comments, but even those that are critical of their actions seem to get posted.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Don't you already have to show an ID piece in most countries to go through security ?

Some 10 years ago (well before 9/11 and DHS and well after Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union) it already struck me as rather peculiar how the US was the only country where I could walk up to a gate area with no ID and no ticket.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else - W. Churchill
Old Jun 11, 2008, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by thesaints
Don't you already have to show an ID piece in most countries to go through security ?

Some 10 years ago (well before 9/11 and DHS and well after Nazi Germany and Soviet Union) it already struck me as rather peculiar how the US was the only country where I could walk up to a gate area with no ID and no ticket.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else - W. Churchill
I've flown domestically in many countries and never shown ID. No removal of laptop. I can keep my shoes on, even.

Within the last two weeks, I've flown through SIN, BKK, CGK, CMB, NRT and LAX. Do you care to guess which location I got hassled at? Some countries know how to do it professionally (NRT, in particular), while others are just a bunch of Yayhoos.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I've flown domestically in many countries and never shown ID. No removal of laptop. I can keep my shoes on, even.

Within the last two weeks, I've flown through SIN, BKK, CGK, CMB, NRT and LAX. Do you care to guess which location I got hassled at? Some countries know how to do it professionally (NRT, in particular), while others are just a bunch of Yayhoos.
Australia last month, 3 flights on Virgin Blue: No ID check, boarding pass only mattered at the gate when it was scanned, liquids ok thru security, shoes stay on unless they alarm.

Some 10 years ago (well before 9/11 and DHS and well after Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union) it already struck me as rather peculiar how the US was the only country where I could walk up to a gate area with no ID and no ticket.
As an American, that doesn't strike me as the least bit peculiar.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jun 11, 2008 at 6:04 pm
Old Jun 11, 2008, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
What do you mean by liquids OK through security? No 3-1-1?
Old Jun 11, 2008, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
They dumb down only for international flights.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Not to government officials to fly domestically.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Last week I flew through TLV on El Al. I had to remove my shoes, but didn't have to remove my laptop. The security people actually treated passengers with dignity and respect, with no yelling or snide comments. My checked bag (luckily) didn't get searched, but everyone who was with me that had theirs searched said the process was friendly and in full view.

Flew through BOG last year and thought it was way more stringent than TLV. Aside from the stern police officers that checked my luggage before the gate, it was way more pleasant than dealing with the TSA. I can't remember, but I do not believe I had to take my shoes off or laptop out.

My point? The TSA is a joke. I'm half-tempted to go buy a couple of refundable tickets and play some games with them here in DEN until the 21st.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
First Ban Water, then Gels, then Fake Ids.

TSA Blogger Bob sez: At 5:19 PM, how convenient, post PR after 5:

"a well-known endeavor of professionals and college kids alike that could potentially circumvent the no-fly list.
We’ve caught everything from Spring Breakers with terrible IDs"

Kip: "Well 7 years on and no more AlKidda attacks, guess we got those folks who want to kill all Americans and destroy the West under control. What group poses the next biggest threat to the American Way?"
TSA Staff Lackey: "College kids and frat boy pranksters."
Kip: "Get on it. So let it be ordered, so let it be done."

Oh I feel SOOOOOO much safer. Chertoff could not get REAL ID passed, so he institutes a knee jerk reaction "FAKE ID Ban".

1. They have a link to the fake boarding pass generator, as justification for the Fake ID Ban. Uh, the date on that link is just under TWO YEARS old. How could Kip endanger the 1.25 billion pax who have safely flown with this known danger to civil aviation since October, 2006?

2. They claim this is to prevent circumventing the no-fly list. TDCs check the name on an ID handed to them by the pax, and compare it to a BP handed to them by the pax. Anyone but me see a big loophole here? Since they do not check the names against the No Fly List, this Fake ID Ban does NOTHING to stop "Mr. O. B. Laden" from flying today.

3. "We're out to catch Spring Breakers". Memo to College Kids: Who's your Daddy? Kip Hawley!
Old Jun 11, 2008, 8:23 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
All college kids who look somewhat youthful (at least half of them) just have to do is claim they are under 18. Therefore, no ID would be needed.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Is that taking TSA keep own responsibility during ID checkers? If someone who gotten fake ID but, they will be result to refusal into the strelie area. It could be arrested someone for charges the fraudulent identifications. They need show the proper ID instead of false information as fake name. It's mostly important for protect the identify. I thinks TSA will be improvable aviation security.

As for shoes policy but, TSA has no evidence the shoes at all for 7 years. Its does not have common problems about Richard Reid by shoes bomber during transatlantic flight from CDG-MIA but, it was diverted to BOS. I knows some of those passengers were retraining him. I seen enough for too long time while passengers must to be required take shoes off. I thinks they had long enough for all of those years about shoes rules. TSA need to be completely forgettable in the past. Let it go already! I thinks TSA will eventually changeable the shoes rules and pleased allowed them go through the metal detector instead of removal shoes into the x-ray machines.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
these rules are totally bogus, I could get in anyday of the week IF I WANTED without any valid data. I have no desire to do this and it would be an utter waste of my time
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 1P, National Exec Elite
Ahh, the good ol' days of getting to wear shoes in the civilized world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.