Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

We Won’t Fly Billboard Campaign Takes Flight!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold

This is GREAT!

The location is Schuylkill Expressway N/O Hartranft (Lat: 39.91347, Long: -75.19207). It is in rotation for 8 weeks on an 48′ x 14′ electronic billboard.
Philadelphia, PA – Taking its message beyond airports, We Won’t Fly launched a nationwide billboard campaign to further raise awareness of and activism against the TSA’s ineffective, dangerous and invasive air travel “scan and grope” procedures. The first billboard went on display in the Philadelphia area along the Schuylkill Expressway on January 26th.
The Philadelphia billboard will be seen 1.5 million times in the first month. The protest campaign is expanding beyond airport TSA checkpoints to high-visibility billboard locations to take the message to the public.
To contribute to other billboards elsewhere contact:
James Babb (610-574-1222 or [email protected])
George Donnelly (941-538-6399 or [email protected])
I know I'll be contributing!
http://wewontfly.com/we-wont-fly-bil...n-takes-flight
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
AWESOME! I'm donating NOW! ^
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the Super Bowl coming up in a week or so a couple of these billboards going up in the DFW area would surely get a lot of attention.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: SWA A List
Originally Posted by Wimpie
This is GREAT!

To contribute to other billboards elsewhere contact:
James Babb (610-574-1222 or [email protected])
George Donnelly (941-538-6399 or [email protected])
I know I'll be contributing!
http://wewontfly.com/we-wont-fly-bil...n-takes-flight
I'm in the St. Louis area and I'd like to raise a billboard that says something along the lines of "Stop Gate Rape Abolish the TSA". I've never been invovled with billboard ads, can you please point me in the right direction?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:50 pm

Superbowl in Arlington was something I hadn't thought of. Is it possible to get through all the minutae of arranging and getting it up before the big weekend? My guess would be no.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by Sky auditor
I'm in the St. Louis area and I'd like to raise a billboard that says something along the lines of "Stop Gate Rape Abolish the TSA". I've never been invovled with billboard ads, can you please point me in the right direction?
Call Gannett or one of the other owners of billboards, ask them the rate for an ad for a given period of time.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:54 pm

Check for $100 is going out to Mr. Babb on Monday morning.

"Aint goin down without a fight" ^
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:19 pm

Fantastic job on the billboard!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:47 pm

Well done - a brief message that clearly makes the point without appearing fanatical.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by TXagogo
Check for $100 is going out to Mr. Babb on Monday morning.

"Aint goin down without a fight" ^
+1

I'll also be sending along a donation.

Thanks for posting, Wimpie! If only we could get this at a major airport
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:26 am

Awesome, although I really think they should have put a scanner picture on one side instead of the groped girl on both. Or would that be too indecent to display on the highway?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Sky auditor
You should put this picture on the billboard. Maybe if the TSA agents are going to find pictures of themselves on a billboard "searching" innocent Americans, they might think twice.

You know, sort of the shame idea that the City of Arlington has decided to use for sex offenders caught using prostitutes. I'd think molestation would require registering, wouldn't it?

Hey, that's an idea. Maybe someone should start a website listing names and photos of all the TSA sex offenders.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: Independent Libertarian
BillBoard

Is it possible to designate a $50 donation for a State you live in?

I want to help but in my own State.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: formerly SW, DL; currently Amtrak S+
I think this is a great idea. But they could probably use more effective pictures such as 13 year-old boys and girls getting groped.....or an elderly lady.....
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:20 pm

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
I totally support the concept and I'll probably even donate.

But I don't think the billboard is well designed for its message: Both pictures show model-gorgeous young women, rather than "ordinary people", when the goal should be to make people think about how this affects them and their family.

The focus seems to be on the "woo-hoo", rather than making a viewer think about how it would affect his 40-something, size-14 wife, or her elderly hip-replaced father, or their 13-year-old daughter.

I support the message, but the ad doesn't draw me in at all (problems of the thin and gorgeous - so what). I'd replace at least one of the pictures with easier to relate to people (y'know, the kind who show up in ads for embarrassing medical products).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.