FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Yet Another Luggage Question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/992284-yet-another-luggage-question.html)

patk Sep 6, 2009 2:02 pm

Yet Another Luggage Question

Hi All, long time lurker, first time poster. Need some advice on luggage

I'm relatively new to the overseas travel thing (first of multiple trips have been this year). My trips overseas require suits, and I'm typically in 3-4 days of meetings. Travel locations are usually Germany/Japan and China is on the radar later. I've read the tips about packing suits, etc, but I'm typically busy running around from town-town and I really don't want to deal with the careful unpacking/packing that's required (just about every night is a different hotel). My last few trips I packed the suits into a 22" carry-on, but was unhappy with the extra work required to make them "ready" the next day. I want to try a garment bag for the next trip.

My next trip is in 1 week to Germany, flying AA (business). I used to fly Lufthansa, but our company has negotiated an arrangement with AA and I now need to fly with them. LH was nice because there's a direct flight from Denver and there was lots of overhead space in business, but now I need to fly to DFW to get a connecting flight to Frankfurt. That flight is on an MD-80, and from what I've read here, the overheads are tiny, tiny, tiny and apparently, AA is checking sizes now as well from the various posts I've read here.

So I'm replacing most of my luggage. I ordered a 20" B&R baseline for my domestic travel (which from what I've read fits everywhere), but I want something for the overseas trips. I'm considering the tri-fold bags (B&R was recommended by GadgetFreak and others), as well as this wheeled carry-on

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...rment-Bag_U374

I was looking at this post for some guidance on AA:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-sizers-2.html

but it doesn't mention whether the B&R U374 fits the sizer for sure.

Lastly, I'm in engineering so I carry a 17" laptop with various other gadgets, and I'd really prefer something wheeled so I don't have to lug 40 lbs of stuff through the Frankfurt terminal (it's a long walk).

So as I said, I'm looking at 2 options: the B&R rollaboard garment bag with which I would stack on top of it my current laptop case, or purchase a new rolling laptop case and get a carry-on tri-fold garment bag (such as the B&R tri-fold) which would allow me to stack the garment bag on the laptop wheeled bag.

The most important thing to me is making sure I don't have to check anything so fitting in the sizer is critical. Next is can I pack 2 suits + shirts + pants for 4 days, followed very closely by the portability.

Advice/opinions? Oh, BTW, we do get to fly first-class on our connecting flights when going overseas (so I get to fly first on the DEN-DFW connection). However, domestic travel we have to fly cattle class...

thanks
-pk

reubencahn Sep 6, 2009 3:49 pm

I fly on MD-80s all the time. The overheads aren't particularly small. I've never had any problem fitting a standard B&R 22" bag in them. The B&R garment bag looks slightly smaller. With the 22" bag, I generally carry a Costco, expandable laptop case similar to the B&R 17" Executive Expandable Brief. http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...e-Brief_KB402X I use this to carry my laptop, some files, running shoes and one pair of dress shoes. Keeping the shoes out of my carryon allows my suits to arrive less wrinkled. Finally, the only way to avoid wrinkling suits is to pack very carefully layering to avoid hard folds which crease. This is time consuming. Garment bags make this a bit easier, but care is still needed.

tfar Sep 7, 2009 2:21 am

PK, welcome to Flyertalk! :)

If you have read all my posts on how to pack a suit, you should be pretty well prepared. You will also know that I am not a huge fan of garment bags and even garment panels or suiters, if you have read the PAPER formula thread.

Garment bags are a rather weight/volume inefficient solution. They weigh a lot and pack not so much. They do offer slightly better protection from wrinkles and somewhat easier packing. It seems this is what you want. If you are willing to sacrifice about 20% on the volume/weight ratio, no problem.

With a 17" laptop you do need a rolling solution.

Now, there is one thing you should consider in these bags, particularly the BR one. It is a horizontal bag. This thing has a larger footprint and you will not be able to pull it through an airplane aisle, even in first. Also your computer will sit lower and thus be harder to pick up. In addition, the telescoping handles do have more sections because they need to fold down smaller. Thus the rigidity is not as good. This influences steering and durability. So from an engineering standpoint, these things are a no-go. ;) Also, $479 for trying out a rolling garment bag is a steep price. If you go rolling garment bag, definitely don't choose a horizontal one and not one that's so expensive.

So there are two solutions, as you pointed out. Either get a rolling garment bag (but only a VERTICAL one) and put your briefcase on top. For ergonomics this is preferable and it might also be the cheaper solution because you wouldn't need a new rolling computer case.

Second solution. Get a rolling computer case (or is yours already rolling?) and get a trifold garment shoulder bag. This solution will be cheaper if you already have a rolling computer bag. It will also be the solution that will under guarantee give you less trouble in terms of being able to stow it all in the overhead and not be given any grief for gate checking the bigger bag. It will fall short a bit in ergonomics for carrying and picking up. But it will make up for that because you will most likely be able to give the unfolded garment bag to the FA to hang in a closet. This means two things: You can put the briefcase in the overhead where it will fit on both sides of an MD-80 easily AND the clothes will crumple less because they travel unfolded most of the time. That's really an advantage.

As far as protection and packability of suits go, anything that is carry-on size will have to be tri-fold whether it is a rolling or a shoulder carried bag. So there won't be much difference. In terms of volume the shoulder bag might be slightly better because there won't be any handles inside. In terms of overall weight this will also be the better solution. You will not need to haul a heavy garment bag to the client but you will always need to haul a heavy computer bag. So it is smart to put the wheels on the bag that will always be heavy and that you always need to have with you, whether you go to the airport or to the client.

With this rational analysis I'd say the rolling computer bag plus shoulder carried tri-fold garment bag is the optimal solution.

Out of the top of my head there are five garment bags which I could recommend, in no particular order:

Briggs Tri-fold

Andiamo Valoroso Tri-fold

Andiama Bravo Tri-fold

Wally Bags

Victorinox NXT 4.0.

Decide by looks, features, price and warranty. Don't forget weight anyway. Warranty can come last here because this bag won't get checked much if at all. It is in your care all the time and it will not have wheels or telescoping handles which are the most failure prone elements.

Till

tfar Sep 7, 2009 3:25 am

Here are some results from ebags:
http://www.ebags.com/luggage/garment...n=4001+2003553

The Bravo
http://luggagebase.com/product/54/An...-Special!.html

The Valoroso
http://www.lazarsluggage.com/anvaha44de01.html

Valoroso is like Bravo but different material. A bit nicer but not worth more than twice the price in this particular instance.

Briggs 375:
http://www.altmanluggage.com/briggs_375.php

Victorinox Paratrooper:
http://www.ebags.com/victorinox_swis...LAID=108289841

Now there are three more things you should consider in the selection process.

1. The little pockets in the corners over the shoulders (see BR 375) are actually a really good idea. Not all bags have those. They are great for toiletries, razor, brush etc. It is not practical to pack a toiletry tote in these bags because of the bulk. In any case, toiletry totes are the most weight inefficient packing aide possible. Use ziplocs, be smart.

2. Shoes. It is not easy to pack a pair of shoes in a garment bag. There is usually no good room for shoes. If there is no deep outer pocket (cf. acegene model which lacks that feature and Andiamo models which do have this feature) you can store them either in the corners I just mentioned or in the opposite corners on the lower end of the bag. The bigger your shoes, the bigger the problem. A deeper main compartment helps a lot.

3. Shirts travel better when they are folded in a shirt folder and put into the center (or bottom) curtain compartment of the garment bag. This is a "Till tried and true" statement. ;) This method will also give the bag some stability and thus help keep the suits in shape.

Therefore the ideal garment bag will have the corner compartments, a bulky enough outside pocket for shoes and a center curtain pocket.

The only one I see to have all those features is the Bellino Explorer which actually looks pretty good, too, and is not too expensive. Half of the BR.
http://www.ebags.com/bellino/the_exp...?modelid=96061

The Briggs has what I call the shirt pocket in the lower curtain but that should still work ok if you can find a place for your shoes. It looks as if the mesh pockets in the upper curtain are meant for shoes. As long as the corner pockets in the main compartment are not too full that would actually be a good solution because once the bag is folded the shoes would be at the bottom. The outside pocket of the BR might hold a pair of shoes but is mostly designed to be an organizer panel and hold a 311 bag.
http://www.ebags.com/briggs_riley/ba...?modelid=82466

Of the higher price models I'd go with either the BR 375 or the Bravo.

In the midrange and in general you can't go wrong with a wallybag.
In the same range there is the Patagonia MLC Burrito but it doesn't look professional and doesn't offer enough protection (too floppy). On the plus side it is extremely light. But you value protection higher it seems.

In the lower range the U.S. Traveler for $35 is very hard to beat.

Then there are some weird crossover bags that are half duffel, half garment bag. The Samsonite Boston garment bags (one in Black label opto series and one in Pro-DLX series) and the Antler Zeroller are in that category as well as the Sandbar bag.

The BR 235x, which a couple of Ft'ers own and love, has a suiter panel. It is easy to pack, highly evolved and very practical. However, you cannot hang that bag in the closet, nor in the airplane closet for that matter. The suits will also get squished a little bit more than in one of the above bags.

You certainly know the steam in shower method. You certainly know that there are two kinds of suits that travel well. The high class highly worsted wool suits ($800 upwards) and the high-tech mix fiber (polyester/wool) specialized travel suits ($350 and up). The latter require almost no extra care but are usually not that nice in terms of material and tailoring. The former require a little bathroom steam or a little hotel iron steam but will make you look better.

When you touch up the suit in the hotel, all you need is to fill the iron with water and put the steam to the creases while the suit is hanging. No need to even touch the suit with the iron and no need to pull out the ironing board. In fact you can do more harm than good if you do. :)

So, Till's final choice would be between the Bellino and the BR. Second choice (but an excellent second choice) would be the Bravo. Third choice and still good would probably be the Wallybag and US Traveler.

Till

GadgetFreak Sep 7, 2009 9:29 am

Originally Posted by patk (Post 12339685)
Hi All, long time lurker, first time poster. Need some advice on luggage

I'm relatively new to the overseas travel thing (first of multiple trips have been this year). My trips overseas require suits, and I'm typically in 3-4 days of meetings. Travel locations are usually Germany/Japan and China is on the radar later. I've read the tips about packing suits, etc, but I'm typically busy running around from town-town and I really don't want to deal with the careful unpacking/packing that's required (just about every night is a different hotel). My last few trips I packed the suits into a 22" carry-on, but was unhappy with the extra work required to make them "ready" the next day. I want to try a garment bag for the next trip.

My next trip is in 1 week to Germany, flying AA (business). I used to fly Lufthansa, but our company has negotiated an arrangement with AA and I now need to fly with them. LH was nice because there's a direct flight from Denver and there was lots of overhead space in business, but now I need to fly to DFW to get a connecting flight to Frankfurt. That flight is on an MD-80, and from what I've read here, the overheads are tiny, tiny, tiny and apparently, AA is checking sizes now as well from the various posts I've read here.

So I'm replacing most of my luggage. I ordered a 20" B&R baseline for my domestic travel (which from what I've read fits everywhere), but I want something for the overseas trips. I'm considering the tri-fold bags (B&R was recommended by GadgetFreak and others), as well as this wheeled carry-on

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...rment-Bag_U374

I was looking at this post for some guidance on AA:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-sizers-2.html

but it doesn't mention whether the B&R U374 fits the sizer for sure.

Lastly, I'm in engineering so I carry a 17" laptop with various other gadgets, and I'd really prefer something wheeled so I don't have to lug 40 lbs of stuff through the Frankfurt terminal (it's a long walk).

So as I said, I'm looking at 2 options: the B&R rollaboard garment bag with which I would stack on top of it my current laptop case, or purchase a new rolling laptop case and get a carry-on tri-fold garment bag (such as the B&R tri-fold) which would allow me to stack the garment bag on the laptop wheeled bag.

The most important thing to me is making sure I don't have to check anything so fitting in the sizer is critical. Next is can I pack 2 suits + shirts + pants for 4 days, followed very closely by the portability.

Advice/opinions? Oh, BTW, we do get to fly first-class on our connecting flights when going overseas (so I get to fly first on the DEN-DFW connection). However, domestic travel we have to fly cattle class...

thanks
-pk

First, welcome to Flyertalk! Second, before getting to the bags register for the double mileage promo on AA. You might even think about contacting them for a Platinum challenge. With the type of flying you are talking about it is my experience that AA will treat you very well. This matters some in terms of baggage access and like others I dont find the MD80 overheads that small.

But to the bags. When I travel with a rolling bag and a non rolling bag it is always a rolling clothes bag (standard B&R rollaboard or B&R 475 upright Garment bag). The B&R475 is pushing the limits of what is easy to get in an overhead in my experience. But it will fit if you get on board when there is still a lot of space available (hence the comments about getting AA status as quickly as possible). I have often wondered whether the reverse arrangement would be better, that is a rolling briefcase and something like the B&R trifold garment bag (which I think that they have renamed the compact garment bag). I think either might work, but the rolling briefcase and compact garment bag may more evenly balance the size so that both are smaller than the B&R475 is. If possible it would be great to get to a store and look at them. Also, as tfar has pointed out there are some stunning sales on Andiamo that if you could get the Andiamo compact garment bag (at least as good as the B&R) you could save hundreds of dollars.

patk Sep 7, 2009 10:35 am

Wow, Till, thanks for the indepth response. You're a veritable luggage encyclopedia :)

From what I've read, the 22" B&R stuff is usually a bit bigger than 22" (I guess because the handle is outside?) and doesn't always fit in a sizer, and from what I've read, also needs to fit sideways in the MD80 overhead. I try not to bring over-sized luggage on that takes up too much space in the overhead. But if the luggage is legally sized, then it's the planes fault if it has to go in sideway :) I've never flown in an MD80 before, I fly mostly Airbuses which have lots of space in the overheads (F9). GagdgetFreak, have you ever had to put your vertical (475) into the sizer of AA? Does it fit?

My current laptop case is not rolling, but I prefer spending a little money to get the right tools for the job as opposed to "just getting by" and regretting it later. So it sounds like best approach is a tri-fold with a rolling laptop case. Just to confirm: can you get about the same amount of clothes in these tri-folds as you could in the upright? Seems like you should since there are no wheels, but I want to make sure... Does anyone have any recommendations on a rolling laptop bag for 17" laptops? I really want to get one that can also fit under a seat if need be (in case I have to put the garment bag in the overhead). I'll probably get the B&R bag because of the strong recommendations and LT warranty, though the Bellino looks nice and the price is even nicer! I'm going to see if I can find them in a store today so I can compare them side-by-side. I like Reubens idea of putting the shoes in the laptop bag, that should solve the shoes-in-the-trifold problem. As for size: the shoes are big, size 13. I'm 6'4", 190lb. At least I'm thin...

GadgetFreak, thanks for the heads-up on the DBLEQM! I just signed up, and in so doing, I noticed in my account that I've been given PLT status. Funny, 0 trips and 0 miles, but I have PLT :) I remember my travel arranger telling me when she setup my AA account that they were trying to give me some special status, I guess that was what she was talking about. I had assumed she was talking about flying F on the DEN-DFW leg :) Need to head over to the AA forum now to find out what PLT gets you. Too bad AA doesn't have more flights out of DEN, I'd fly them more often, though I do wish their planes were a bit more modern. I've been spoiled flying on F9's new Airbuses with headrest TV (free for Summit) and large overhead bins, and I'm less than thrilled with what I've been reading about the MD-80...

reubencahn Sep 7, 2009 11:07 am

22" bags will fit lengthwise into the DEF side of most, maybe all, of AA's MD-80s. You'll have to put any 22" (or even 20") sideways on the AB side.

GadgetFreak Sep 7, 2009 11:11 am

Originally Posted by reubencahn (Post 12343319)
22" bags will fit lengthwise into the DEF side of most, maybe all, of AA's MD-80s. You'll have to put any 22" (or even 20") sideways on the AB side.

That has been my experience. I havent tried the B&R 475 in the sizer unfortunately so I cant tell for sure.

tfar Sep 7, 2009 4:27 pm

Specific recommendations

Originally Posted by patk (Post 12343161)
Wow, Till, thanks for the indepth response. You're a veritable luggage encyclopedia :)

From what I've read, the 22" B&R stuff is usually a bit bigger than 22" (I guess because the handle is outside?) and doesn't always fit in a sizer, and from what I've read, also needs to fit sideways in the MD80 overhead. I try not to bring over-sized luggage on that takes up too much space in the overhead. But if the luggage is legally sized, then it's the planes fault if it has to go in sideway :) I've never flown in an MD80 before, I fly mostly Airbuses which have lots of space in the overheads (F9). GagdgetFreak, have you ever had to put your vertical (475) into the sizer of AA? Does it fit?

My current laptop case is not rolling, but I prefer spending a little money to get the right tools for the job as opposed to "just getting by" and regretting it later. So it sounds like best approach is a tri-fold with a rolling laptop case. Just to confirm: can you get about the same amount of clothes in these tri-folds as you could in the upright? Seems like you should since there are no wheels, but I want to make sure... Does anyone have any recommendations on a rolling laptop bag for 17" laptops? I really want to get one that can also fit under a seat if need be (in case I have to put the garment bag in the overhead). I'll probably get the B&R bag because of the strong recommendations and LT warranty, though the Bellino looks nice and the price is even nicer! I'm going to see if I can find them in a store today so I can compare them side-by-side. I like Reubens idea of putting the shoes in the laptop bag, that should solve the shoes-in-the-trifold problem. As for size: the shoes are big, size 13. I'm 6'4", 190lb. At least I'm thin...

GadgetFreak, thanks for the heads-up on the DBLEQM! I just signed up, and in so doing, I noticed in my account that I've been given PLT status. Funny, 0 trips and 0 miles, but I have PLT :) I remember my travel arranger telling me when she setup my AA account that they were trying to give me some special status, I guess that was what she was talking about. I had assumed she was talking about flying F on the DEN-DFW leg :) Need to head over to the AA forum now to find out what PLT gets you. Too bad AA doesn't have more flights out of DEN, I'd fly them more often, though I do wish their planes were a bit more modern. I've been spoiled flying on F9's new Airbuses with headrest TV (free for Summit) and large overhead bins, and I'm less than thrilled with what I've been reading about the MD-80...

Patk, thanks for the kind words. My pleasure to help, especially since you will be visiting my country (Germany). So at least your luggage problems will be well taken care of thanks to a German. :)

A couple of comments on the MD-80. It is a somewhat older and lackluster plane but you will survive the flight DEN-DFW in F without trouble. As others have said the luggage compartments aren't particularly small but on the side with only two seats they are not as deep, so bags have to go in sideways whether they are soft or hard-sided. Since you will be boarding early there shouldn't be the slightest problem. And going with the two smaller sized cases is definitely going to help on top of that. I bet you will be the guy with the best luggage combo for the task. :D

On the tri-folds. Size 13 shoes are gonna be a tough fit. Still the places where I said to put them are about your only option. I am almost certain that a pair of size 13 is not gonna fit in the BR front pocket. In the Bellino it might fit because the front pocket looks like it is uninterrupted. I own the rolling model of the Andiamo Valoroso bag I linked to. I can tell you that size 13 shoes will not fit in the two outer pockets for my size 9 fit just so. It is fair to deduct from that bag to the shoulder carry models because they are basically done with the same layout. BUT the Bravo has a big continuous back pocket (see attached images) where they will most likely fit.

As for total packing volume the shoulder carry tri-folds will be just as good but won't be as heavy. The only problem, as we've seen, is bulky items. The normal rollaboards give you a pretty roomy box that you fill, so packing them is somewhat easier for the geometrically challenged. The tri-folds are like large sleeves. You have to see where they bulge when they fold and adjust the placement of clothes accordingly. That's why I said the thing about the shirts in a folder in the center or bottom curtain pocket. It's a bit of luggage tetris but once you got it figured out it will work just as well or better and just as fast or even faster with better organization and quicker access.

I am very much of the same mind with regards to getting good stuff and having the right tool for the job even if the initial expense is a little higher.

In this sense I would either go with two pieces by BR or with two pieces by Andiamo Bravo. The matching styling and material will make you look just the sharper, which is never wrong.

Here are my Bravo suggestions:
http://lazarsluggage.com/anbrbubrsico.html
http://www.lazarsluggage.com/anbrbrtrcaga.html (more pics)

The prices on these are incredibly good. $290 for both pieces together that would have been $860 normally. And that's luggage that is at least as nice, prestigious and high quality as BR and Tumi. Downside: no more warranty. But I would consider that less important for pieces that do not travel in the luggage hold. The computer case is definitely big enough for a 17" screen because it measures 17x13". The fact that there is only one big main compartment might actually be a plus in your situation because you can be sure that your shoes will fit in there if you cannot finagle them into the shoulder bag. Shoes go in grocery or large ziplocs, so personally I wouldn't have any qualms about putting them in the same compartment.

Now there is one thing you have to ask the vendor of the Bravo: Does it have a slip or any device to secure it to the telescoping handles of a rolling bag? If it doesn't you can still double wrap the shoulder strap around handles. This usually works quite well but it's better to try it out with loaded bags.

For BR, here are my suggestions:
http://www.ebags.com/briggs_riley/wo...oductid=684130

This will set you back $480. So basically a difference of $190. What you get is an excellent warranty and a highly compartmentalized briefcase. Nicer for office organization, not so good for putting shoes. Cases in the 38 linear inch range usually still fit under the seat. Anything bigger gets tough.

In any case, you come out ahead as compared to the original horizontal rolling garment bag idea.

If you do a search on "packing list", you will come up with several suggestions and sample lists from other travelers. I have not yet seen a packing list that didn't profit from going through it with a fine comb, even mine... Although I am now looking for finer combs. ;)

OT: Can somebody (gadgetfreak?) please tell me whether the double miles work on ordinary FF accounts, too, or whether you have to have status or a special account? Also, how did you do to get Plat status with 0 miles? Probably because you company did a contract with AA, I suppose.

Cheers,

Till

GadgetFreak Sep 7, 2009 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by tfar (Post 12344652)
Patk, thanks for the kind words. My pleasure to help, especially since you will be visiting my country (Germany). So at least your luggage problems will be well taken care of thanks to a German. :)

A couple of comments on the MD-80. It is a somewhat older and lackluster plane but you will survive the flight DEN-DFW in F without trouble. As others have said the luggage compartments aren't particularly small but on the side with only two seats they are not as deep, so bags have to go in sideways whether they are soft or hard-sided. Since you will be boarding early there shouldn't be the slightest problem. And going with the two smaller sized cases is definitely going to help on top of that. I bet you will be the guy with the best luggage combo for the task. :D

On the tri-folds. Size 13 shoes are gonna be a tough fit. Still the places where I said to put them are about your only option. I am almost certain that a pair of size 13 is not gonna fit in the BR front pocket. In the Bellino it might fit because the front pocket looks like it is uninterrupted. I own the rolling model of the Andiamo Valoroso bag I linked to. I can tell you that size 13 shoes will not fit in the two outer pockets for my size 9 fit just so. It is fair to deduct from that bag to the shoulder carry models because they are basically done with the same layout. BUT the Bravo has a big continuous back pocket (see attached images) where they will most likely fit.

As for total packing volume the shoulder carry tri-folds will be just as good but won't be as heavy. The only problem, as we've seen, is bulky items. The normal rollaboards give you a pretty roomy box that you fill, so packing them is somewhat easier for the geometrically challenged. The tri-folds are like large sleeves. You have to see where they bulge when they fold and adjust the placement of clothes accordingly. That's why I said the thing about the shirts in a folder in the center or bottom curtain pocket. It's a bit of luggage tetris but once you got it figured out it will work just as well or better and just as fast or even faster with better organization and quicker access.

I am very much of the same mind with regards to getting good stuff and having the right tool for the job even if the initial expense is a little higher.

In this sense I would either go with two pieces by BR or with two pieces by Andiamo Bravo. The matching styling and material will make you look just the sharper, which is never wrong.

Here are my Bravo suggestions:
http://lazarsluggage.com/anbrbubrsico.html
http://www.lazarsluggage.com/anbrbrtrcaga.html (more pics)

The prices on these are incredibly good. $290 for both pieces together that would have been $860 normally. And that's luggage that is at least as nice, prestigious and high quality as BR and Tumi. Downside: no more warranty. But I would consider that less important for pieces that do not travel in the luggage hold. The computer case is definitely big enough for a 17" screen because it measures 17x13". The fact that there is only one big main compartment might actually be a plus in your situation because you can be sure that your shoes will fit in there if you cannot finagle them into the shoulder bag. Shoes go in grocery or large ziplocs, so personally I wouldn't have any qualms about putting them in the same compartment.

Now there is one thing you have to ask the vendor of the Bravo: Does it have a slip or any device to secure it to the telescoping handles of a rolling bag? If it doesn't you can still double wrap the shoulder strap around handles. This usually works quite well but it's better to try it out with loaded bags.

For BR, here are my suggestions:
http://www.ebags.com/briggs_riley/wo...oductid=684130

This will set you back $480. So basically a difference of $190. What you get is an excellent warranty and a highly compartmentalized briefcase. Nicer for office organization, not so good for putting shoes. Cases in the 38 linear inch range usually still fit under the seat. Anything bigger gets tough.

In any case, you come out ahead as compared to the original horizontal rolling garment bag idea.

If you do a search on "packing list", you will come up with several suggestions and sample lists from other travelers. I have not yet seen a packing list that didn't profit from going through it with a fine comb, even mine... Although I am now looking for finer combs. ;)

OT: Can somebody (gadgetfreak?) please tell me whether the double miles work on ordinary FF accounts, too, or whether you have to have status or a special account? Also, how did you do to get Plat status with 0 miles? Probably because you company did a contract with AA, I suppose.

Cheers,

Till

It looks like you do need status for the AA promo. Although since the OP has Plat now that should work.

tfar Sep 7, 2009 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak (Post 12344736)
It looks like you do need status for the AA promo. Although since the OP has Plat now that should work.

Aye, darn it. I never fly enough on just one airline to get status. Mostly split between AA and CO with some intra-European flights. No time or money for mileage runs. :td:

Till

patk Sep 7, 2009 6:03 pm

Thanks a lot Till,

I ordered the B&R tri-fold from Luggage.com (they are offering free overnight shipping). Both you and GadgetFreak recommend it, it has a LT warranty, and they're still in business :) But, luggage.com doesn't stock the 212 case, and I need the fast shipping since my trip is next week. Guess this is what I get for for being such a perfectionist and trying to find the perfect bag ;)
So I'm looking at this wheeled laptop bag which is a smidge bigger (~39.25").

http://www.ebags.com/briggs_riley/17...astterm=kr404x

I know this will fit under the airbus seats, but what about the MD-80? You mention anything over 38" is a tough fit. Also, this bag looks like it has a slot towards the back that I may be able to squeeze some shoes in.

Because of the shoes concern, I'm going to order the 22" baseline as a backup, just in case. I don't have time to wait and order new luggage in the event of packing issues. And regardless, since it fits on all airlines, I'll be able to use it to replace my current 22" (a cheap jaguar from Penny's) which is too wide for the sizers because it's expandable. BTW, you should talk to B&R, maybe you can get a commission from them ;)

Also, have you ever used McKlein? I found this

http://www.ebags.com/mcklein_usa/roo...?modelID=71881

it's interesting because of the detachable wheels

Lastly, re: Plat. status. I have no idea how that happened. I was originally booked on LH, but then our travel folks came back and asked me to switch to AA. I said fine, as long as they can get me on the same flight as my co-worker. I was a little unhappy because the LH flight was direct where I have to connect with the AA flight. This means I won't be able to bring back any duty-free wine :( Anyhow, they had to scramble, and the outcome was that I got on the flight and somehow got status. Maybe because I was originally on the LH flight and switched? Or it may be just because AA is now our preferred airline and AA is trying to "encourage" us to use them more. Dunno. The challenge is going to be getting enough miles this year to keep plat. Though with the double-miles promotion, I think just a few more trips should cover it.

quan98 Sep 7, 2009 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by tfar (Post 12344759)
Aye, darn it. I never fly enough on just one airline to get status. Mostly split between AA and CO with some intra-European flights. No time or money for mileage runs. :td:

Till

Hey Till,
I don't think you need status to the the double elite qualifying miles. You do have to register, which you can do here.

This AA forum thread has more info: link.

oldpenny16 Sep 7, 2009 6:56 pm

If you have your dry cleaner fold your shirts rather than putting them on hangers you will have easier packing and a much better result.

I've seen fights break out on the front end of a MD 80 over baggage space in the overheads. One jerk pulled my small suitcase out of an overhead that happened to be above my seat and throw it on the floor!

patk Sep 8, 2009 4:43 pm

Hi Till,

Just got back from the luggage storewith the new B&R stuff you recommended. I ended up going with the BR214 case instead of the BR212 (found we had a dealer ~10 miles from the house so I cancelled my online orders). The 212 was awfully fat, we measured it at 10" when the case was laying down as it would be in a plane, and that's without anything in it (even though the tag said 8"). I guess B&R doesn't include the width of the wheels in the measurement. Anyhow, I asked them at the store if it would fit under an airline seat and they said it would be iffy. The manager of the store was very knowledgeable and she actually uses B&R for her own travels. So I hmmed and hawed and then did what every good engineer would do: I brought my current laptop case into the store and found that everything fit nicely in the BR214 with room to spare (my current laptop is a widescreen HP dv5t pavillion with a 17" widescreen so I was very surprised it fit. Latptop dimensions are 14x10x1.8" for those that want to know). The only drawback is that I wouldn't be able to fit my shoes in there, but it turned out that they wouldn't fit in the 212 either, so that wasn't a terrible loss.

The 212 is a wonderful bag though, for the price, I really liked it. I'm gonna bring a tape measure with me when I fly this next trip to measure the under-seat area and see if it the 212 will fit. If it does, I'll probably go back and buy it :D The sales folks also brought out a Victorinox architect 2.0 parliament rolling bag. It was real nice as well, very similar to B&R but they have pockets on the outside next to the handle where B&R just has air. It also had a softer bag bottom (the BR was very firm), and that was nice because it has some "give" for the times you might need to squish it a bit to fit under a tight seat. The external pockets next to the handle are great for stowing things like cables and chargers, and is a big advantage since I need to bring so many cables with me when I fly. The only downside to that bag was it was ~$480, so for the price (about 50% less), I still like the 212.

I also bought the baseline 22" to replace my current oversized 22" luggage, so now I'm good to go, albeit ~$900 lighter ;)