FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Luggage Wrapping Thoughts? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1956463-luggage-wrapping-thoughts.html)

YHM_Hater Feb 15, 2019 9:42 am

Luggage Wrapping Thoughts?

I just found out that the airline I'm taking has a rather strict carry-on weight limit and size for PE. As such, it seems that I'll have to check in my B&R rollaboard so that I can take my backpack as a carry-on. Would it be worth it to get my B&R wrapped at the airport to protect it and prevent tampering (I'm flying several times to southeast Asia)?

The service is $15 at my home airport. On one hand, I could eventually buy a new B&R with all the luggage wrapping I'd pay for. On the other hand, it does provide peace of mind. Does anyone have experiences on the effectiveness of luggage wrapping?

Thanks.

deniah Feb 16, 2019 10:43 am

If you have anything that's valuable enough to warrant deterrent such as luggage wrapping, then carry it with you.

That's my philosophy

GeezerCouple Feb 17, 2019 12:47 pm

I've always wondered if having your luggage wrapped isn't a bit of an invitation for extra inspection by authorities somewhere or other along the way.
Any experiences with having the wrapping removed/opened by... security/customs/etc.?

GC

hipquest Feb 17, 2019 9:41 pm

I carry a roll of wrap in my carry on, just in case. It looks like a lint roller. Amazon has it but the price, for the last roll I purchased, was better at Bed Bath and Beyond.

OskiBear Feb 19, 2019 10:55 pm

I've always been fascinated and mystified by the luggage wrapping. The first time I saw it was in South America. What does it actually deter? If folks are going to steal from your luggage, can't they always find a time/place where they aren't observed? If so, removing the wrapping seems easy enough. So you'll know it's been tampered with - isn't it too late by the time you realize it?

chx1975 Feb 19, 2019 11:50 pm

At least in Hungary where stealing at the Budapest airport is incredibly common and well documented by blog posts of former workers, stealing happened inside the planes. There's usually no time (and too many cameras) elsewhere and they were always going for the quick ones. As they were not allowed blades, getting through the wrapping is hard enough to not bothere, there are plenty of others. Classic civilian security thinking: you don't need perfect security, it's enough if it's better than your neighbours.

alphaod Feb 22, 2019 3:07 am

I think luggage wrapping is useless. It looks ugly and draws attention.

This is why I like my aluminum Rimowa suitcases, basically too much work to try to force open for a quick theft.

hipquest Feb 22, 2019 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 30800042)
I've always been fascinated and mystified by the luggage wrapping. The first time I saw it was in South America. What does it actually deter? If folks are going to steal from your luggage, can't they always find a time/place where they aren't observed? If so, removing the wrapping seems easy enough. So you'll know it's been tampered with - isn't it too late by the time you realize it?

If you're forced to check your super light soft side carry-on it can prevent damage or, at least lessen the damage.

Originally Posted by alphaod (Post 30808622)
I think luggage wrapping is useless. It looks ugly and draws attention.

Agreed that it is hideous but it can have its uses.

deniah Feb 25, 2019 3:31 am

unless its high-value and targeted, theft is mostly about opportunity. if its 30 seconds quicker to open another luggage without wrap, thieves will do that instead.

its the same thing about having locks on your window. its not going to stop anyone from smashing the glass and climbing through.

DragonSoul Feb 25, 2019 10:21 pm

First time I saw the wrapping was at SYD where there was a line of people getting their luggage wrapped. They all proceeded to the same check-in desk for a flight home to India. Guess they knew something.

Yellowjj Feb 25, 2019 10:26 pm

From my experience, it allows luggage to fit in the defined measurements of the airline. I've seen people wrap slightly oversized bags to fit with-in the 62"

Xlr Mar 4, 2019 12:57 am

What would you like to prevent?

If you want to prevent damage you could also consider something like this: https://www.briggs-riley.com/shop/ty...e-cover-w121-4