Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Luggage Wrapping Thoughts?

Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50, National EE, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire

I just found out that the airline I'm taking has a rather strict carry-on weight limit and size for PE. As such, it seems that I'll have to check in my B&R rollaboard so that I can take my backpack as a carry-on. Would it be worth it to get my B&R wrapped at the airport to protect it and prevent tampering (I'm flying several times to southeast Asia)?

The service is $15 at my home airport. On one hand, I could eventually buy a new B&R with all the luggage wrapping I'd pay for. On the other hand, it does provide peace of mind. Does anyone have experiences on the effectiveness of luggage wrapping?

Thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: *G
If you have anything that's valuable enough to warrant deterrent such as luggage wrapping, then carry it with you.

That's my philosophy
NYC Flyer and brp1264 like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
I've always wondered if having your luggage wrapped isn't a bit of an invitation for extra inspection by authorities somewhere or other along the way.
Any experiences with having the wrapping removed/opened by... security/customs/etc.?

GC
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
I carry a roll of wrap in my carry on, just in case. It looks like a lint roller. Amazon has it but the price, for the last roll I purchased, was better at Bed Bath and Beyond.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I've always been fascinated and mystified by the luggage wrapping. The first time I saw it was in South America. What does it actually deter? If folks are going to steal from your luggage, can't they always find a time/place where they aren't observed? If so, removing the wrapping seems easy enough. So you'll know it's been tampered with - isn't it too late by the time you realize it?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
At least in Hungary where stealing at the Budapest airport is incredibly common and well documented by blog posts of former workers, stealing happened inside the planes. There's usually no time (and too many cameras) elsewhere and they were always going for the quick ones. As they were not allowed blades, getting through the wrapping is hard enough to not bothere, there are plenty of others. Classic civilian security thinking: you don't need perfect security, it's enough if it's better than your neighbours.

Last edited by chx1975; Feb 20, 2019 at 12:54 am
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:07 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I think luggage wrapping is useless. It looks ugly and draws attention.

This is why I like my aluminum Rimowa suitcases, basically too much work to try to force open for a quick theft.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I've always been fascinated and mystified by the luggage wrapping. The first time I saw it was in South America. What does it actually deter? If folks are going to steal from your luggage, can't they always find a time/place where they aren't observed? If so, removing the wrapping seems easy enough. So you'll know it's been tampered with - isn't it too late by the time you realize it?
If you're forced to check your super light soft side carry-on it can prevent damage or, at least lessen the damage.

Originally Posted by alphaod
I think luggage wrapping is useless. It looks ugly and draws attention.
Agreed that it is hideous but it can have its uses.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: *G
unless its high-value and targeted, theft is mostly about opportunity. if its 30 seconds quicker to open another luggage without wrap, thieves will do that instead.

its the same thing about having locks on your window. its not going to stop anyone from smashing the glass and climbing through.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:21 pm

First time I saw the wrapping was at SYD where there was a line of people getting their luggage wrapped. They all proceeded to the same check-in desk for a flight home to India. Guess they knew something.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:26 pm

From my experience, it allows luggage to fit in the defined measurements of the airline. I've seen people wrap slightly oversized bags to fit with-in the 62"
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:57 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
What would you like to prevent?

If you want to prevent damage you could also consider something like this: https://www.briggs-riley.com/shop/ty...e-cover-w121-4

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.