Search

Recommendations for cheap suitcase?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Recommendations for cheap suitcase?

No suitcase seem to ever last for me. I can't really explain why they don't last for me so I've given up on buying nice looking suitcases. I prefer hard shells, but I'm willing to give soft shells a chance. I'm looking for something in the 24" range.

Thanks.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:38 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Cheap is relative, if you buy Rimowa then Samsonite is "cheap". You will get better answers if you give an actual cash budget in the currency of the country you live
Hoyaheel and tcl like this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
If you're in the US, check out a thrift store (24" is somewhat easy to find as many have downsized to 20" or 22" - I know I've gotten rid of almost all my larger suitcases....) Also Craigslist and/or any local "for sale" facebook or other groups you might have access to (for instance, I have one at work I can check...)

Also check out any big box warehouse store you belong to (Costco, Sam's, BJs) or Samsonite "outlet" store nearby.

Agree that a location and actual budget could be most helpful, though.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:33 pm

I have a shopping center near me that has a TJ Maxx and a Burlington Coat Factory (plus a third of the same type). I usually troll through there to see if they have anything on clearance. You usually get an off brand (Aquarius, Forecast) of all sizes and formats (spinner, 2 wheel, etc.) for a decent price of about $40-50.

If you have one by you take a drive and see what the current stock of cheap suitcases are.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Hard shells are only good if they are nice and latch. Zipper hardshell is useless as the zipper is the point of failure.

Not willing to splurge to Rimowa anymore we use Samsonite F'lite or the similar hinge and latch product from Delsey
tcl likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Hard shells are only good if they are nice and latch. Zipper hardshell is useless as the zipper is the point of failure.

Not willing to splurge to Rimowa anymore we use Samsonite F'lite or the similar hinge and latch product from Delsey
I agree. I've had issues with zippers in the past.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:22 am

Samsonite Oyster. Available in a thrift shop near you for $5.
tcl likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While the original oysters are nice they are heavy. I still have two in my storage room.
Although they roll very well, piggybacking or towing other bags are not an option.

Their reincarnation of F'lite II is the same design, lighter and rolls like a roller where you can tow and attach other bags to.
tcl likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:07 am

While the original oysters are nice they are heavy. I still have two in my storage room.
Although they roll very well, piggybacking or towing other bags are not an option.

Their reincarnation of F'lite II is the same design, lighter and rolls like a roller where you can tow and attach other bags to.
That is indeed a way better design... by the time one of my $5 Oysters breaks, hopefully the F'Lite will be in thrift shops

Mine may not be the original, because they're not all that heavy. But--especially at 6'3"--I agree that the rolling design of the Oyster is sub-optimal.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
TJ Maxx also owns the Sierra Trading Post, web site and if you combine sales prices with their regular coupon codes, you can often find nice bags for not much money. Their best selection is generally first quarter of the year when the luggage companies send them the biggest lots of discontinued products for liquidation.

The best deals there tend to be eccentric colors. My 21” Eagle Creek rollaboard from there is bright lime green. It was also 70%+ off MSRP and is really easy to spot on a baggage carousel if I check it
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Anyone here tried Amazon's suitcases?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Buy a used Pelican case. It won't break.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:16 pm

Honestly with my big family I just go to Ross Dress for Less. They have a travel section with incredibly good bags for cheap.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Madone59
Buy a used Pelican case. It won't break.
I am using the new Pelican Air 1615. You can get four for the price of a same size Rimowa. I have never seen a dented Pelican.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I am using the new Pelican Air 1615. You can get four for the price of a same size Rimowa. I have never seen a dented Pelican.
American's ramp guys apparently managed to successfully do so, but that's a rare event.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.