Wiki Posts
Search

Largest Carry-on Tactical Laptop Backpack

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Largest Carry-on Tactical Laptop Backpack

Hello,

For years I have used various iterations of this backpack (via a few free warranty replacements):

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/8353...luxe-book-pack

I am traveling more often for work lately and the weight distribution and ergonomics are pretty bad. I am very willing to invest a few hundred dollars in a great pack. Decision paralysis has prevented me from posting this until now, but I have a trip coming up this week, and would love to order a new backpack to arrive in time for it.

Here are some criteria:

-Can be put under an airplane seat in economy

-Great weight distribution

-Easy access to a 15" MacBook pro and a Microsoft Surface 3 (non-Pro model), both of which will be in their own respective cases within the backpack

-At least as much capacity or close to the 40L size I have now

-Water resistant (can walk around in heavy rain without the contents getting wet)

-Good warranty (preferably lifetime, but I am flexible about this)

-Some tactical molle is strongly preferred

-Support for external access to two 40oz Klean Kanteens (or a similar capacity bottle) - I like the elastic mesh water bottle holders that I currently have, but smaller bottles will fall out easily since they have been stretched. It it is a tactical bag without built in water bottle holders, but molle that will support attaching water bottle holders, this is ok too.

-If there are waist straps present, the option to remove them

I am open to any suggestions or questions.

Best Regards,
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Look at www.tombihn.com as they have backpacks that fit your criteria. The Brain bag will do for you. There are others as well.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I had to google 'tactical molle'. Are you a paratrooper?
mrhills0146 and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:13 am

Check out the Goruck GR2

SEE: www.goruck.com
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by John Isaac
Check out the Goruck GR2

SEE: www.goruck.com
+1
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies!

I really like a lot of aspects of the Goruck GR2, but have the following concerns:

-I have read that the way it opens, it is hard to pull items in and out with it at your feet in an economy airplane seat

-Most everyone on another forum I posted to said that it will be very difficult to fit under the airline seat and this is essential for me

-I have read that the laptop compartment is very tight with just one laptop alone (not in a case) and ideally I want to fit both my 15" MacBook pro and my MS Surface, while they are in their own respective padded cases, as when I travel I will need to carry them around separately from the backpack at times

-No integrated water bottle holders - I could attach external ones to the molle, but then it would be harder still to get under the airplane seat. Depending on the external water bottle holders, and how collapsable they are this may or may not be an issue

Any other suggestions?

These look like some possible candidates in this link below. Has anybody here had personal experience with the fit of a laptop in any of these bags?

http://gearmoose.com/best-tactical-backpacks/
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:35 pm

I think the GR2 is your best bet. It is built like a tank, is very comfortable, comes with a lifetime warranty, and does not look overly "tactical".

It does open like a clamshell, so the bag would need to be lying flat to easily gain access to some items in the interior (except for the laptop compartment, which will easily hold your 15" laptop).

At only 9" deep, it will fit under most seats but, as with any 40+L backpacks, you will have zero leg room as a result. Why not head over to Tom Bihn and purchase a Pilot bag (in Halcyon, rather than Ballistic), to hold both your laptops and other electronics. Pack that in your GR2 and remove it after you board (or carry it on as your personal item) and stow the large backpack in the overhead? https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...nt=17658166535 BTW, I do not like Tom Bihn backpacks, however, because IMO they are overly organized.

As for the water bottle holder, the MSM is the best one that I have found. http://milspecmonkey.com/store/pouch...l#/color-black It is very secure, will hold any size bottle, including a 32 oz Nalgene, and folds flat when not in use. I attach the holder to the side Molle webbing on my packs.

Although the Goruck is water resistant, it is not totally waterproof, so I carry a Sea to Summit rain cover, if required. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000T2COFS...A2EG6QEDZDPFVD

Last edited by Skywalker505; Jul 26, 2017 at 1:19 pm Reason: Additional information
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:10 pm

Check out 511 Tactical:

http://www.511tactical.com/bags-packs/backpacks.html

You can probably find them locally at military/law enforcement stores to check them out in person. My sons both use the COVRT18 models for high school and college. They've lasted 3 years and counting where a normal cheapie would not even last a whole school year.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA; LH; AF
I think you're going to struggle with fitting a 40l backpack under the seat when it's loaded with a laptop and a surface, and anything else.
I use a 5.11 Rush 48, which is in the region of 40l, has two side pockets for waterbottles, decent organisation, some molle on the outside, and is comfortable to lug around when it's full. I can pack a laptop and iPad in the compartment. But it'll never fit under the seat...

Gorucks are awesome bags, and may well be what you're looking for.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by RichP
I think you're going to struggle with fitting a 40l backpack under the seat when it's loaded with a laptop and a surface, and anything else.
I use a 5.11 Rush 48, which is in the region of 40l, has two side pockets for waterbottles, decent organisation, some molle on the outside, and is comfortable to lug around when it's full. I can pack a laptop and iPad in the compartment. But it'll never fit under the seat...

Gorucks are awesome bags, and may well be what you're looking for.
I think you mean the 37L Rush 24.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

check out osprey, maybe some eagle creek or eddie bauer?

could also go actual tactical route, with sleave for laptop
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marco Polo Club Green , HH Blue, Marriott Plat
I use a 5.11 Rush 12 Tactical Backpack Sandstone as my "personal" item.

The main compartment of the Rush 24 is 20" H x 12.5" L x 8" D, so you might be able to get away with the Rush 24 as a carry on if you don't over pack the exterior compartments.

It has the additional advantage that my Chinese employees thought I was a special forces alumni.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
Lowepro Highline 400AW?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Skywalker505
+1
+3 on the GoRuck suggestion.

Second to that I'd look at the 5.11 Rush 24 or 72
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I had to google 'tactical molle'. Are you a paratrooper?
MOLLE webbing is "Tacticool". Meaning for the average person it is generally only there for military style aesthetics.

That said, it allows for awesome customization of bags by use of MOLLE/PALS compatible pouches. I've attached a pouch to the side of my GoRuck GR1 that holds my spare lithium battery. On the inside of my goruck gr1 I use a MOLLE "field pocket" that allows some additional organization for my cables etc.

In a nutshell, this system allows a user to really customize the heck out of a bag to their needs. A single bag then can serve as the platform for multiple-purposes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.