FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Using a pocket urinal on a flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1663013-using-pocket-urinal-flight.html)

KerryMLC Mar 13, 2015 4:42 pm

Using a pocket urinal on a flight?

With respect, this content has been deleted by the original poster. While we understand the disappointment this may cause, we hope you will respect the poster's need for privacy on this sensitive and delicate matter.

DonCarpenter Mar 13, 2015 5:07 pm

Wake them up. No one wants people peeing out in the open plane.

I was a truck driver for many years before getting into my current business. Lots of those guys go in Gatorade bottles. It's disgusting.

mike2200 Mar 13, 2015 5:46 pm

It would be disgusting to have someone next to you doing that. Besides a flip of the blanket and you could be arrested indecent exposure!

brendog Mar 13, 2015 6:37 pm

Be an adult and hold it. If your bladder won't allow for that, might I suggest an aisle seat?

Doc Savage Mar 13, 2015 6:42 pm

Just bring one of these; then you'd never have to get out of your seat.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...0L._SX300_.jpg

chris19992 Mar 13, 2015 7:24 pm

Wake them up, if I caught someone next to me doing that, I would call the FA.

t325 Mar 13, 2015 7:30 pm

I think I speak for most normal people when I say that I would rather be woken up than have the guy in the seat next to me taking a leak into a plastic bag.

obscure2k Mar 13, 2015 9:17 pm

We're going to continue this discussion in the FT Travel Products Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

abmj-jr Mar 13, 2015 11:23 pm

I am having an unpleasant mental image of unexpected turbulence hitting while someone is at full stream with this thing. I wonder how far the misdirected stream would fly before control was re-established?

OP, just wake your neighbor or select an aisle seat. Then your neighbor will be waking you when he needs to go.

Big4Flyer Mar 14, 2015 12:22 am

It was 5:45 am at FLL, we had just arrived from LAS after flying Spirit on a red-eye. The dawn was slowly turning the sky from dark to light. There we were, sitting about 200 yards from the gate, like we had been for the last 45 minutes. The pressure had been building, but I found it off. "Stop," I told myself, "You can't let yourself have these feelings." Yet there that feeling was, rising, trying to break free. I could tell others around me were feeling the same. One man, several rows ahead, clearly was feeling the same sensation as I was. He rose, trying to make it to where he could freely "express" himself. "Stop!" came the voice "We are on an active taxiway. You will sit down. FAA regulation prohibits any movement while the seatbelt sign is illuminated." I knew I couldn't keep my feelings hidden any longer, so I faced a dilemma. Do I express myself in a way that everyone can see, or a way only I can feel, but everyone can smell. Finally, the time of decision came. I grabbed an empty water bottle from my backpack, thanked my lucky stars that I had been smart enough to book an entire row for my wife and I, and while my wife held up a jacket to keep any glances away, I let it go, along with any dignity I had left after deciding to fly Spirit. Not one of my proudest moments in my life...

VivoPerLei Mar 14, 2015 7:16 am

Believe me, IME, no one has any qualms waking up others to get to the bathroom. If you think that might be a problem, take an aisle. This is one reason I hate the 3-3-3 config as opposed to the 2-5-2

chollie Mar 14, 2015 10:52 am

'No' to the pocket urinal.

Occasionally I end up in a middle/window seat. I'm going to have to get up during the flight; if it's a long flight, I'm going to get up multiple times. If it's a flight where we're likely to have sleep time, I let my seatmate know and ask what s/he prefers: me climbing over or waking him/her up.

On a recent FRA-ORD flight, I was in a middle seat. While we were still taxi-ing, my aisle seatmate said he'd be popping an ambien, planned on being comatose most of the flight and told me that if I needed to get out, feel free to climb over him, don't bother trying to wake him up. I really appreciated that.

Big4Flyer, I sympathize with you (long waits on the tarmac when you can't leave your seat can be beastly).

Re: tight space in coach. It's no picnic for middle/window seat pax in business/first either, and it's a lot more hassle if you have to wake a reclined sleeper up to get out.

telabadmanwot Mar 14, 2015 11:08 am

I have a pocket urinal. Its called a bladder.

Doc Savage Mar 14, 2015 11:11 am

Originally Posted by telabadmanwot (Post 24506574)
I have a pocket urinal. Its called a bladder.

Wait till you're 70.

Paul56 Mar 14, 2015 1:33 pm

Under those conditions you might be able to completely avoid having
to get up at all, but it requires some discipline in advance.

Avoid drinking too much liquid about 4 hours in advance of the sleeping
situation... just sip when thirsty.

If I do this I can often sleep 9 hours straight through without getting
up at all. Then at breakfast you re-hydrate yourself.