FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Using a pocket urinal on a flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1663013-using-pocket-urinal-flight.html)

Loungeact Mar 14, 2015 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 24506511)

On a recent FRA-ORD flight, I was in a middle seat. While we were still taxi-ing, my aisle seatmate said he'd be popping an ambien, planned on being comatose most of the flight and told me that if I needed to get out, feel free to climb over him, don't bother trying to wake him up. I really appreciated that.

I don't understand why the ambien poppers don't get window seats? I see that fairly often that people insist on isle seats, then they pass out and are in the way for others. Seems more appropriate and comfortable to opt for a window seat in that case...

I flew from MUC to MIA once with my 6 year old son who had panic and asthma attacks on cramped planes. We had middle seats on a 4 people row, not our option but what was left as available. When we got there, my son was in the middle of a asthma attack and the aisle seat would have been much better for him so he can get distracted and have a feeling of getting air (for psychological reasons it would have helped him a lot). I explained it to the aisle person and asked if he would switch with me. He was very rude and told me to get lost. He sat down and fell asleep. I think I woke him on a 15 minute basis all the way to Miami. What an idiot.

I opt no on the device and say everyone has a right to stretch their legs, breathe, use the lavatories, whatever. If you don't want to be bothered, pick an inside seat.

Hoyaheel Mar 14, 2015 1:59 pm

In case of dire emergency, a bladder pad would be far preferable to an external device on an airplane, but most people just wake up the others in the aisle...

TravelingBear Mar 14, 2015 3:01 pm

I agree, no to the device. If you have issues with urgency then, as Hoyaheel suggests, a well placed bladder pad or adult briefs will be your best friend. Wake them up, wake me up, it's a public space.

Letitride3c Mar 14, 2015 5:28 pm

What if those 2 pax sitting next to OP are strangers and female, would you still go undercover ?? I think not & if they suddenly awaken and realized, OMG :rolleyes:
I always opt for the aisle seat whereas DW like the window when traveling together & her bladder isn't as good as mine - I always get bumped to get up to let her out if she must go. The same idea applies if a stranger get the window seat on a full flight, as a matter of courtesy - I/we always tell them before reaching our cruise attitude & before lights are dimmed on a long haul - to always tap & let us know if s/he needs to get up, stretch and/or go to the restroom.
Metered one's fluid intake & keep those "free" beers & wine, etc. away until you are on the ground & beyond the gates, those are our rules for travel.
What about disposal of that warm & "fuzz" bottle - leave it for the FA or cleaners to "discover" it or DIY disposal into the "loo" before deplaning - and, you carry hand sanitizer to cleanup before grabbing the bag of chips or snacks afterward (not getting another beverage refill, I hope ...)
What if the pax in front or behind decided to get out of their seat and catched you in the middle of the act and screamed ... not a nice way to be on the news, IMO.

mbece Mar 15, 2015 1:49 pm

If you were doing this in an airplane close enough to me that I saw you, I'd for sure file indecent exposure charges.

Long Train Runnin Mar 15, 2015 10:52 pm

I think that any mishap using that device would be far worse then asking your neighbors to let you out into aisle.

Anna Phor Mar 16, 2015 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by mbece (Post 24511455)
If you were doing this in an airplane close enough to me that I saw you, I'd for sure file indecent exposure charges.

Yup. This.

gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7 Mar 17, 2015 3:00 pm

A more discrete option:

https://www.ehow.com/how_7390648_use...-catheter.html

DonCarpenter Mar 17, 2015 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7 (Post 24522326)

If you're so afraid to wake someone up that you'd use a catheter, you might have an anxiety disorder.

Skink Mar 18, 2015 5:28 pm

Another more discreet option:

http://www.stadiumpal.com/what-works.html

Kensterfly Aug 24, 2015 10:08 am

Never be afraid to disturb someone sitting on the aisle. It's a risk we take to have our preferred seat. I'd rather have someone else crawling past me, than me having to crawl past someone else. When my bride travels with me, I usually book us both on an aisle seat. Either right across the aisle from each other or in a 2-3-2 configuration I'll book the two aisles in the center section with a good chance no one will book the center seat. If they do, it's my wife's call if she wants to move to the center or let the 'stranger' keep the center seat. But I won't give up my aisle for anyone, including antsy kids with asthma. I'll be polite and accommodating but don't call me rude just because you didn't plan far enough in advance to book seat that were not in the middle of a four or five seat row.

elleana Aug 24, 2015 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Kensterfly (Post 25319639)
Never be afraid to disturb someone sitting on the aisle. It's a risk we take to have our preferred seat. I'd rather have someone else crawling past me, than me having to crawl past someone else.

Yep. Not sure why though but I'd rather be disturbed than to have to disturb someone. Even on a 12 hour transpacific or whatever when it seems the guy next to me wants to get out just after I fall asleep.

NJFlyer42 Aug 24, 2015 8:49 pm

Wake the aisle person

Originally Posted by elleana (Post 25322847)
Yep. Not sure why though but I'd rather be disturbed than to have to disturb someone. Even on a 12 hour transpacific or whatever when it seems the guy next to me wants to get out just after I fall asleep.

I always pick an aisle. I assume I will need to stand up for those inside. If I didn't want to stand up I would not take aisle. Sometimes standing up is a nice break to the monotony.

Madone59 Aug 25, 2015 8:52 am

Originally Posted by chris19992 (Post 24503918)
Wake them up, if I caught someone next to me doing that, I would call the FA.

^ that! You have to wake them up.

Pup7 Aug 28, 2015 10:23 am

You ought to stand up anyway.

Why on earth someone would do something so unsanitary in such a public place is beyond me (said the RN). I mean, really - would YOU want to sit next to someone using a travel urinal and have the aircraft hit turbulence (let alone have them using one at all, turbulence or not)? You also know urine has a distinct odor, correct?

I'm a nurse and don't particularly care to encounter that....while that might not be outside the realm of possibility for me while at work, I do not expect to have that happen in a plane!