FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Gate8 Trifold Garment Bag VERSION 2.0: Detailed Review (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1523273-gate8-trifold-garment-bag-version-2-0-detailed-review.html)

Azzuristar Jul 20, 2014 1:27 am

@gate8 or anyone:

Do we know what warranties we get on the trifold bag? I am about to pull the trigger, I would like to know how much warranty are we getting?

on the website it states that it is lifetime but there is a number 5 in the image next to it. So I am confused. Is it 5 years or lifetime? I would like to know that before I make my purchase.

Thanks much!

SevenandForty Aug 6, 2014 1:25 am

I noticed that the older bags as seen here have an extending wire support in the front that I think would help keep the bag from falling over; why isn't this in the newer versions? I think it might help.

Gatormanoj Sep 22, 2014 6:36 pm

It's been a month since I started using v.2 trifold. The bag replaced my old Tumi alpha and Timbuk2 commute combination. The experience has been really good so far.

Pros:
- The laptop bag is well designed and has tons of pockets to organize your EDC.:D
- Comfortable handles, straps and ease of usage. I got into the groove of setting it up to pack and unpack quite easily.

Cons:
- Lack of water bottle compartment(this is a big annoyance for me) :(
- The shoulder strap flops all over the place, which can be an issue when you are running to a connection
- Short handle, which sometimes makes it a pain to pull at a comfortable incline.
- Signs of wear already showing on the bottom feet and wheels (yikes, hope I can get replacements when the time comes)

Wishlist
- Zippered mesh pocket
- Bigger zip on the laptop bag, so that it can be TSA compliant (I sorely miss this feature from my Timbuk2 commute)
- IMHO, compared to my old suiter, the base feels delicate.

678flyer Sep 28, 2014 10:35 am

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on this bag. But will probably buy it in the US next week thanks to the silliness of pricing - $149 in the US and £149 here in the UK :mad:

gate8 Oct 4, 2014 4:05 am

Originally Posted by 678flyer (Post 23593789)
I am thinking of pulling the trigger on this bag. But will probably buy it in the US next week thanks to the silliness of pricing - $149 in the US and £149 here in the UK :mad:

Hi 678flyer,

Many thanks for your interest in the GATE8 bags and I understand your querying the USA $ and UK £ pricing - it is a valid point.

If I can explain why we are doing this....in the UK and Europe we have a flourishing RETAIL proposition with our bags being sold via numerous stockists. We therefore have set a retail and wholesale price strategy for UK + Europe to operate a wholesale and distribution channel.

Currently in the USA, we ONLY sell GATE8 via the www.gate8-luggage.com website and therefore are able to sell at great USA introductory price without
affecting any USA retail or distribution customers - hence the much lower USA price ..

This is likely to change after our official launch into the USA via the Travel Goods and Accessory Show, March 2015 in Las Vegas - where we expect to confirm USA Agents and Retailers and align our UK and Europe prices with the USA - the price is likely to increase in the USA from the introductory price offer.

I do hope this clarifies.

Best wishes Alistair.

arjunrc Oct 4, 2014 7:55 am

Looks like you have made the cabin mate bag available from your US site. Does the cabin mate bag have all the improvements you made to the trifold v2? (better zips - your pictures show the older problematic zip handles,longer handle, better wheels, quality of nylon etc)? How many days worth of clothes do you think can fit into this bag?
Finally, do you think this bag tips over as much as the trifold when fully packed? By the look of the bag, I wonder if the tip over problem is more problematic in this model

Can you also please post some higher resolution pictures of this bag in some more detail? The ones on the site are not quite helpful in getting an idea of what the insides, pockets, wheels etc look like

IflyfromABE Oct 13, 2014 8:46 am

Quick question, because I have not seen it anywhere, including the "Specifications" section of the web site:

What are the exact outside dimensions (wheels & handles included) of this bag with the laptop carrier attached? I am interested, but if they are any bigger than 22 x 14 x 9, it would be a no go for me.

Thanks

arjunrc Oct 14, 2014 2:09 pm

Thanks for reporting!

a) Yep, on the water bottle. Incidentally, I bought this product from Amazon and so far it's been holding bottles of all shapes quite well. Its a hack, I agree. But better than stuffing one in my pocket or holding in my hand.

b) Shoulder straps - never used them, but what do you mean flapping all over the place? Do you find them slipping off?

c) On wheels, Gate8 says this new version of wheels is better/stronger. I thought the v1 wheels actually felt stronger, but who knows. No issues so far, but I wonder the same thing. It does show wear marks pretty soon.

Originally Posted by Gatormanoj (Post 23566375)
It's been a month since I started using v.2 trifold. The bag replaced my old Tumi alpha and Timbuk2 commute combination. The experience has been really good so far.

Pros:
- The laptop bag is well designed and has tons of pockets to organize your EDC.:D
- Comfortable handles, straps and ease of usage. I got into the groove of setting it up to pack and unpack quite easily.

Cons:
- Lack of water bottle compartment(this is a big annoyance for me) :(
- The shoulder strap flops all over the place, which can be an issue when you are running to a connection
- Short handle, which sometimes makes it a pain to pull at a comfortable incline.
- Signs of wear already showing on the bottom feet and wheels (yikes, hope I can get replacements when the time comes)

Wishlist
- Zippered mesh pocket
- Bigger zip on the laptop bag, so that it can be TSA compliant (I sorely miss this feature from my Timbuk2 commute)
- IMHO, compared to my old suiter, the base feels delicate.

arjunrc Oct 14, 2014 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by IflyfromABE (Post 23669380)
Quick question, because I have not seen it anywhere, including the "Specifications" section of the web site:

What are the exact outside dimensions (wheels & handles included) of this bag with the laptop carrier attached? I am interested, but if they are any bigger than 22 x 14 x 9, it would be a no go for me.

Thanks

It's a little hard to measure the v2 trifold because its pretty flexible. But I did a quick check: height from wheel to the grip on top seems to be around 15.5-16 inches
The width from end to end, if you measure at the bottom is around 21 inches and if you measure at the top is just shy of 22 (extra width due to flaps on either side). Depth, including laptop bag attached seems to be around 8 inches

This is without any squishing of the bag. The main bag is empty, but I have some stuff in the laptop bag (note book, chargers etc)

IflyfromABE Oct 15, 2014 6:22 am

Originally Posted by arjunrc (Post 23677709)
It's a little hard to measure the v2 trifold because its pretty flexible. But I did a quick check: height from wheel to the grip on top seems to be around 15.5-16 inches
The width from end to end, if you measure at the bottom is around 21 inches and if you measure at the top is just shy of 22 (extra width due to flaps on either side). Depth, including laptop bag attached seems to be around 8 inches

This is without any squishing of the bag. The main bag is empty, but I have some stuff in the laptop bag (note book, chargers etc)

Thanks. It looked too high (wide) to me. That 15.5-16 is a deal-breaker for anyone who flies a whole bunch of US-based airlines, including United.

arjunrc Oct 15, 2014 7:00 am

Originally Posted by IflyfromABE (Post 23679994)
Thanks. It looked too high (wide) to me. That 15.5-16 is a deal-breaker for anyone who flies a whole bunch of US-based airlines, including United.

I actually fly a lot of US airlines and United is a preferred airline for my company, so I use them a lot. I've never had any problems in fitting the bag in any overhead (including regional tiny jets) which typically hold close to nothing.
Do you mean it may not fit the sizers? Hmm, I've never had anyone ask me to fit my bag into one, so I don't quite know about that.

IflyfromABE Oct 15, 2014 7:10 am

Originally Posted by arjunrc (Post 23680157)
I actually fly a lot of US airlines and United is a preferred airline for my company, so I use them a lot. I've never had any problems in fitting the bag in any overhead (including regional tiny jets) which typically hold close to nothing.
Do you mean it may not fit the sizers? Hmm, I've never had anyone ask me to fit my bag into one, so I don't quite know about that.

Depends on the airport and how airport personnel feel about it that day. I have seen plenty size fitting going on in places like Tampa

arjunrc Oct 15, 2014 7:30 am

Originally Posted by IflyfromABE (Post 23680201)
Depends on the airport and how airport personnel feel about it that day. I have seen plenty size fitting going on in places like Tampa

Okay. BTW, a clarification: That 15.5 height is from the base of the wheel to the top of the handle in the middle of the bag - if you press the handle down towards the bag it would likely be in the 15 or just short of it (probably).

Boogie711 Oct 15, 2014 11:38 am

Originally Posted by IflyfromABE (Post 23669380)

Thanks

I measured it - with wheels and handles, etc. I don't have it here at work, but I remember being pleasantly surprised that the measured (my) dimensions exactly matched the stated dimensions.

arjunrc Oct 15, 2014 4:58 pm

My apologies, I reported the measurements incorrectly. I put it against a wall and measures exact distance between wall points today.

Height (from wheel to top of bag): 14 inches. This is with the telescopic handle retracted (it goes inside the bag, so it doesn't add any more height). The bag has two nylon handles which flop to the side, so it also does not add any more height (unless you pull it up)

Width (end-end) 21 inches

Originally Posted by arjunrc (Post 23677709)