FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Gate8 Trifold Garment Bag VERSION 2.0: Detailed Review (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1523273-gate8-trifold-garment-bag-version-2-0-detailed-review.html)

mapsgl Nov 26, 2013 3:05 am

Its great to see the improvements.

I purchased one of the last Version 1.0 and I really regret not waiting for the updates version. :mad:

I really like the bag but the limitations of that version that prevent me from loving it are:

Zipper performance and quality

Short telescoping handle (Uncomfortable on long carries through certain airports and cities)

and the " Tipping over" of the bag.

It seems as most of these have been solved in version 2.0.

I still haven't been able to pack the bag and have my items arrive "crease free". I'm not sure if that is my packing or a design limitation

In my brief time owning the bag it has been the subject of some interesting conversations during my nine trips.

Its really good to see that Alistair and the folks at gate8 have really listened to customer feedback. ^

Thanks arjunrc for taking the time and providing us with excellent reviews.

How long until version 3.0????

arjunrc Nov 26, 2013 5:16 am

Originally Posted by mapsgl (Post 21855881)
(...)and the " Tipping over" of the bag.

Note that in V2, the bag does not tip over anymore when freestanding & is fully packed, but its still easy to push it and make it fall over

I still haven't been able to pack the bag and have my items arrive "crease free". I'm not sure if that is my packing or a design limitation

I do get a few creases with a 5 day pack. I don't do anything special though, but again when I say 'crease free' it means no deep creases that makes the clothes unwearable. So relative to other bags I've owned, this garment bag creases very little. Since I never used bi-fold garment bags before I don't know how it compares to them. The good part is my suit never creases - maybe its the material too. The place I get the creases are my t-shirts if I hang them in the main compartment. I always fold the hands in, so the creases come towards the bottom. When I used to use other carry on bags for a 5 day trip, I'd have to take out my clothes, hang them in the shower and let the steam run for a while to get the creases out (hilariously, I was in a particularly small hotel in London and I kept the bathroom door open when trying to get those creases out, and it set off the fire alarm - the reception were very skeptical and likely assumed I tried to smoke the room).

In my brief time owning the bag it has been the subject of some interesting conversations during my nine trips.
Oh yes, it sure does. Especially when I zip out the laptop bag. There are collective oohs all around as I yank it out while on the move (admittedly dramatization here)

Its really good to see that Alistair and the folks at gate8 have really listened to customer feedback. ^
Thanks arjunrc for taking the time and providing us with excellent reviews.
How long until version 3.0????
Agreed. Their over-zealous marketing has reduced compared to before but besides that, they have always been attentive and responsive. Glad to know you found the review useful.

Originally Posted by AlbaGuBrath (Post 21853183)
I bought this bag last week - excellent 24 hour delivery from DPD (although I picked the 3-5 day option). Alastair answered my queries very quickly which was reassuring. I did a fair bit of research and I saw that gate8's social interaction was very advertising-focused, but I think they have vastly improved lately.

Nice to see more people owning this bag.

I managed to fit a full 5 days of clothing into the bag using wire hangers - admittedly though everything is quite creased - perhaps I need to review my packing method. This came to bang on 11kgs, so let's hope my bag is never weighed..
Did you weigh it without the laptop bag should you need to take it off?

Without tightening any of the straps, this bag fitted into a LCC overhead very easily. I feel the attachment of the laptop bag can be quite difficult when the bag is filled. I'm being picky, but once the laptop bag is attached I wish there was somewhere for the shoulder strap to be tucked into.
Right. This is not a system for a quick reattach with a loaded main bag. You need to focus to get it done right. V2 is far easier than V1, though.

AlbaGuBrath Nov 26, 2013 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by arjunrc (Post 21856249)
Did you weigh it without the laptop bag should you need to take it off?

Sorry, I meant to mention this - I had a laptop and small notepad in the bag, looking up the laptop weight it's 2.2kg, so that explains it!

arjunrc Jan 18, 2014 9:52 am

A Quick trip update. I finally travelled with the new v2 fully packed for a 6 day international trip. The bag served as well as the v1 and the improvements I listed above in my review helped - specifically the longer handle, larger laptop bag. It withstood the travel as I swam across seven seas, fought fiery dragons in far away lands, wrestled with royal bengal tigers, got to scratch the ear of a grizzly and chopped the heads of a three headed reptile while I played the violin for a princess in a land of mystery and magic..

Anyway while I was doing all of that, I did notice two things in the new version worth bringing up

1. While the new version does stand up straight, it is actually a little more unstable when fully packed with a laptop, wires, and my ipad mini up front. It falls over more easily if you just carelessly plop it on the floor. Once standing, it does not keel over, but you need to stand it up correctly. I noticed that when fully loaded (6 days plus gizmos) it never really stands on the wheels - the weight in front (laptop etc) lifts the wheels up and the entire bag is actually resting on the plastic balancer up front. I am guessing straightening the bag lean added to this issue. Note that I still think its better than v1s lean.

2. The version that was sent to me had the laptop zip on the side, which looked like an improvement to it being at the bottom (v1). Well, as it turns out, the zip bottom is facing towards the ground and away from you. This makes it impossible for you to even attempt to re-attaching the laptop bag while standing. You necessarily need to lay the bag down. I don't really know why this was done, but I'd much rather the zip base was facing up.

Besides these two points, great bag and enjoyed not having to compromise on clothes and yet not have to check in, including those dinky regional jets when you are trying to make a connection.

gate8 Jan 31, 2014 9:15 am

Share another GATE8 Version 2.0 review

Hi all,

Just a quick note to share with you another USA based GATE8 review...As with ARJUN's detailed FlyerTalk feedback..this one also has lots of photos plus video content..

http://geardiary.com/2014/01/30/gate...-travel-buddy/

Hope it is useful.

Many thanks Alistair (GATE8)

AlbaGuBrath Feb 8, 2014 12:37 pm

Having used this weekly since November, I am still incredibly happy with this product.

The only improvement I can suggest is improving the quality of the telescopic handle. It's fine if you're hopping from a plane to a car, but if you are using public transport or walking with it for a long distance it is not great. I find it much easier just to carry the bag with the handles.

notandor Mar 23, 2014 10:41 am

Shirt/Accessories micro case and Laptop bag

As per my understanding the shirt & accessories micro case available on your website "http://www.gate8-luggage.co.uk/shirt-and-accessories-micro-case.html" fits in the laptop bag V1.0. Is this still true with V2.0? Will there be space left empty... as V2.0 laptop bag is big?

Also, for US buyers, is it possible to get micro-case to buy from amazon?

Another request, since micro-case can fit in laptop bag, I'm thinking if there was an option to buy your detachable laptop bag as an accessory too (again on amazon for US buyers), then in that case... one can fit more clothes if needed (in micro-case) in 1st laptop bag and keep it attached and use 2nd laptop to stack above on telescopic handles! viola... suddenly we created a lot more space... technically still check-in compliant... at least in US... as garment rolling bag w/ 1st laptop bag attached (with more clothes) will be the CARRYON, and 2nd laptop bag will be a personal item!!! Also, i like the fact the microcase has lot of small pockets for cufflings, passport, keys... very well thought.

arjunrc Mar 23, 2014 6:37 pm

I wouldn't recommend you stuffing the micro case into the laptop bag. I assume you will want to do this only if your bag is fully packed and you are looking for more space. The V2 bag, while better in the 'does not lean' department compared to its predecessor, falls over more easily than V1 when really fully packed, especially if the laptop bag is stuffed. In a recent trip all around EU, I stuffed an ipad mini, old MBP (not the new light ones), and a rather heavy gizmo pack + note book in the front and it fell over pretty often when left free standing at the slightest touch. So your adding the micro case would probably make it worse. What I noticed is that in V2, when the bag is fully packed with the front laptop bag fully packed too, the bag is lifted clear off its wheels and only rests on the plastic bar on the front, which is probably why it fell over so easily.

Originally Posted by notandor (Post 22573226)
As per my understanding the shirt & accessories micro case available on your website "http://www.gate8-luggage.co.uk/shirt-and-accessories-micro-case.html" fits in the laptop bag V1.0. Is this still true with V2.0? Will there be space left empty... as V2.0 laptop bag is big?

Also, for US buyers, is it possible to get micro-case to buy from amazon?

Another request, since micro-case can fit in laptop bag, I'm thinking if there was an option to buy your detachable laptop bag as an accessory too (again on amazon for US buyers), then in that case... one can fit more clothes if needed (in micro-case) in 1st laptop bag and keep it attached and use 2nd laptop to stack above on telescopic handles! viola... suddenly we created a lot more space... technically still check-in compliant... at least in US... as garment rolling bag w/ 1st laptop bag attached (with more clothes) will be the CARRYON, and 2nd laptop bag will be a personal item!!! Also, i like the fact the microcase has lot of small pockets for cufflings, passport, keys... very well thought.

notandor Mar 24, 2014 11:47 pm

v2.0 laptop bag and grid-it organizer

arjunrc,

what is the size (length and width) of the new v2.0 laptop bag?

In one of the older threads replies... you had mentioned about using grid-it organizer coccon CPG10BK (12"x8") with v1.0 laptop bag and you had strongly recommended to buy at least that size.

With version 2.0 laptop which grid-it organizer with maximum size you would recommend?

notandor Mar 25, 2014 3:48 pm

laptop bag and grid-it

also, do you think the Grid-It CPG37 (13.78"x9.65") will fit in the v2.0 laptop bag? this grid-it is a bit longer and thicker than the 12x8 you used.. as it also has a sleeve for the MBA11.

Boogie711 Mar 25, 2014 5:24 pm

The outside dimensions are approximately 16x13 (maybe 12.5), and it's approximately 2 inches thick.

notandor Mar 28, 2014 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by arjunrc (Post 21816817)
(Reserved for comments after I take it on actual trips - not 'in home' tests) - this will be updated over time - not immediately, of course.

Updated Mar 2014: After taking it to 10+ trips to a variety of places:

a) The good stuff holds true - see review in first post
b) When fully packed, especially with the laptop bag stuffed with lots of gizmos and two devices (laptop+ ipad) its not stable. Falls over very easily
c) I'd prefer the telescopic handle to be more solidly built and a little longer
d) I don't like the fact that they have located the laptop zip off base on the side and facing down - its impossible to zip it without laying it down completely

Arjunrc,

Initially I had thought the same way as you had mentioned in your comment (d).. of zip off base on the side facing down... but I'm glad that gate8 (alistair) did this way v/s turning the other side, as this way one can open the zip from the side to the top ... and gets access to 2 big (thin) pockets!
... 1st at the back of the laptop bag...
... 2nd at the front of the garment bag...
... Also the current zip opening allows to put couple folders (with 8.5x11 paper) in the middle too! cannot ask for more dividers!

Opening the zip down first and then all the way to back and side and top to access these pockets would have pretty much detached the laptop bag... which would have been more inconvenient and awkward.

arjunrc Mar 29, 2014 6:35 am

Originally Posted by notandor (Post 22608281)
Arjunrc,

Initially I had thought the same way as you had mentioned in your comment (d).. of zip off base on the side facing down... but I'm glad that gate8 (alistair) did this way v/s turning the other side, as this way one can open the zip from the side to the top ... and gets access to 2 big (thin) pockets!
... 1st at the back of the laptop bag...
... 2nd at the front of the garment bag...
... Also the current zip opening allows to put couple folders (with 8.5x11 paper) in the middle too! cannot ask for more dividers!

Opening the zip down first and then all the way to back and side and top to access these pockets would have pretty much detached the laptop bag... which would have been more inconvenient and awkward.

Not sure what you mean. In my v2 the zip travels down from the side, not up. If it traveled up from the side, what you say would feasible (though not useful for me anyway)

So you have the v2 then? I thought you were thinking of buying it. What do you _not_ like about the bag? Just curious.

notandor Apr 3, 2014 4:48 pm

hmm... in my v2, if I'm facing the laptop bag from the front (when it is attached to the garment bag):
- The zip is on left hand side
- Also, when fully attached, and trying to open... the zip opens upwards on the left hand side, then slide across at the top and then goes down on the right side... essentially creating the pockets (with bottom still closed) that I was talking about.

Yes, I now have the bag... will post soon what I like and don't like.... :-)

Though I totally agree on the missing bottle holder net... I'm thinking of rigging it somehow... let me know if you also have any ideas there.

CosmosHuman Apr 8, 2014 7:22 pm

This looks like a very well tailored and very professional case.