Wiki Posts
Search

Pelican 1520 for luggage

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2013, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Hilton, Gold Marriott
Pelican 1520 for luggage

Has anyone used the Pelican 1520 for a small/overnight bag? It is obviously indestructible, but I am wondering how user friendly it is. It is not wheeled, so is there any place to attach a strap to?
Old Apr 27, 2013, 7:42 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
About the only thing you can do for a strap is put something in the padlock holes, but I would not do that if you are putting heavy stuff in the case as it may not have been designed to hold the weight of a full case. Though knowing Pelican, it probably won't be any problem.

Pelicans are nice bags, but for a carry on unless you are protecting something valuable, I think it's overkill. It's fairly heavy, you can't squish it anywhere, and it's pretty expensive to just carry clothing in. It also scruffs and scratches showing wear fairly quickly. If it was something needing protecting I would say Pelican all the way, but for normal stuff it seems bit overboard.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Hilton, Gold Marriott
Originally Posted by cordelli
About the only thing you can do for a strap is put something in the padlock holes, but I would not do that if you are putting heavy stuff in the case as it may not have been designed to hold the weight of a full case. Though knowing Pelican, it probably won't be any problem.

Pelicans are nice bags, but for a carry on unless you are protecting something valuable, I think it's overkill. It's fairly heavy, you can't squish it anywhere, and it's pretty expensive to just carry clothing in. It also scruffs and scratches showing wear fairly quickly. If it was something needing protecting I would say Pelican all the way, but for normal stuff it seems bit overboard.
You make some good points, thanks for the info.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 7:18 pm

I own a couple of these for expensive and fragile precision equipment. They are very strong, waterproof, rigid and heavy for the volume. If you need to protect something delicate and valuable, they are fine. For ordinary luggage, they are not ideal.
Old May 27, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I've got one for those days where I can't one-bag it for whatever reason, and I don't want my suit and other goodies to be crushed or risk getting wet. Gate checking in winter in CLE is a great time to use a 1520.

It is heavy, but who cares.
Old May 27, 2013, 3:47 pm

It is user-friendly for a certain value of "friendly".

No convenient place for a strap, limited volume once foam is taken into account, but whatever you're transporting will get there safely.

I had one friend who used it to transport Perrier on trips- PITA to lug, but never had a broken bottle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.