Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foldable tote

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2012, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Foldable tote

DH and I are travelling to Europe later this year and will be on a tour that allows only 1 piece of luggage and a daybag each. I am looking for a foldable tote or carryon that has a zip top and a strap or handles large enough to carry over shoulders to carry the "treasures" that we pick up along our trip . The idea is that it takes up very little space in my checked bag during the tour and then removed and used on the way home. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I like the REI Stuff sack. Folds to the size of a small Frisbee but opens into a daypack holding about 1300 cubic inches: http://www.rei.com/product/809163/rei-stuff-travel-pack.

I've actually used this pack as a primary bag on flights (I wrote one of the reviews at REI explaining my packing method). It's got a pocket on top where you can stash keys, a hotel key card, passport and two mesh pockets on the side which could easily hold a small water bottle or snacks. I think it's a great little pack!
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
LeSportsac makes a number of nylon totes that pack very very flat in a suitcase, I always take one on trips. The totes that fold up into themselves with zippers are a gimmick. Any lightweight tote that can be packed flat is the best idea. Be sure the tote you choose has a zip top, and I secure the zipper with a safety pin.

Last edited by Dianne47; Jan 21, 2012 at 11:07 am Reason: to add comment about zip top
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:59 am
Formerly known as MLW20

Programs: AA LT GOLD, Delta, UA/Continental & many others
We have a Patagonia stuff sack but it does not zipper close. We just tie the handles together if needed.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Dianne47
LeSportsac makes a number of nylon totes that pack very very flat in a suitcase, I always take one on trips. The totes that fold up into themselves with zippers are a gimmick. Any lightweight tote that can be packed flat is the best idea.
Can you post a link of of this tote?
Old Jan 21, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: QF CL
I have a Bric's folding tote: http://www.brics.it/product_view.asp...%2D01&search=1. If you like the Longchamp Pliage range, you might like this one too.

It folds into a flat zippered pouch (about 25cm square), which itself can theoretically double as a little handbag with the addition of the provided strap, or the pouch can clip inside the tote to act as a zippered interior compartment. it folds out to a really good carry-on size and shape.

The tote zipper-closes and has two longish handles that you could put over your shoulder. There are no points to attach a long shoulder strap on mine. I think it's really well made but it is a bit on the heavy side for this type of bag - it's about 500g. It is however sturdier than most lightweight bags in this category and it is definitely the sort of bag I would choose as a carry-on for heavy, bulky souvenirs. Probably a trade off between price, sturdiness, size and weight here. Worth a look anyway.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
LeSportsac makes a number of nylon totes that pack very very flat in a suitcase, I always take one on trips. The totes that fold up into themselves with zippers are a gimmick. Any lightweight tote that can be packed flat is the best idea. Be sure the tote you choose has a zip top, and I secure the zipper with a safety pin.
While totes that fold up may be a gimmick, let me suggest that a backpack that does the same hardly is. The options to carry as a backpack something like the REI Stuff make a foldable backpack a good choice since it allows more stable handsfree carrying strapped over both shoulders than a tote which will be over only one. And, if you don't want to fold the backpack, it can be packed just as flat as a nylon tote.

Of course, if the OP is looking for something more fashionable than a backpack, the LeSportsac will probably fit her needs at two to three times the price of the REI pack.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 3:29 pm

Also available at REI, Sea to Summit squishable bags in many form factors: stuff sacks, backpacks, totes, duffles ...

I've got a couple of them, and they fold up to nothing - much smaller than Baggallinis, which used to be my favorite brand for this sort of thing. Baggallinis hold up longer, though.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 4:44 pm

Baggalini

http://www.baggallini.com/index.asp - select travel - several bags and totes - I have a small one I use at home - good quality, waterproof, zipper, ...
Old Jan 21, 2012, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I certainly have a lot of great choices!
Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:31 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I use this Lesportsac bag as a second bag because it has four exterior zippered pockets for maps and such while the main compartment is lockable. It is also made of a decent weight of ripstop nylon, and has a removable shoulder strap if it has to be checked on the way back. They also have a smaller and a larger size. Baggalini has more affordable alternatives too.

Brics, and the tote versions can't really be safely checked for the way home, but if only used as a daybag, then they are definitely the more stylish choice.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW
Can you post a link of of this tote?
I have several LeSportsac zip-top totes. They're very lightweight and pack very flat. The current selections can be seen here

http://www.lesportsac.com/external/totes.html
Old Jan 21, 2012, 8:54 pm

I have several LeSportsac zip-top totes. They're very lightweight and pack very flat. The current selections can be seen here

http://www.lesportsac.com/external/totes.html
Thanks, I didn't realize they folded, I will check them out. I love their patterns!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: spg-gold,marriott-gold,priority-platinum,united-1K
foldable tote

My favorite is the Longchamp tote-pliage series that can be used two ways by opening an extra middle zipper and enlarging it.

The upshot is that is does fold and can carry 'everything but the kitchen sink' in it.I carried over 30 pounds of books in it on a recent transatlantic flight and it held up well.
Another feature I like about it is the fact that it can actually be washed in your home washer and then even dried in the dryer.

The cons are it is a bit bulkier than your other foldable bags(thicker fabric) and it is priced rather high in the U.S.If you travel to Europe or Asia you may be able to find it a bit cheaper.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
budget option

I liked this bag so well that I got another one. I wanted something packable and light - that meant no padded back or shoulder straps, something that could switch-hit between backpack mode and tote/purse mode, and hopefully something with a bit of structure (this is why I didn't go for a similar-purpose REI product mentioned above).

http://www.rei.com/product/810367/sh...daypack-womens

The pictures aren't very flattering, but it has an outside zip pocket, an inside zip pocket, an outside water bottle/umbrella mesh pocket and the top zips shut (some totes don't, that's a deal-breaker for me). Also not obvious from the picture, but it switch hits from shoulder/hand mode to backpack mode and the straps are adjustable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.