Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-on luggage reccommendation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Carry-on luggage reccommendation

Currently, I am looking for a carry on luggage with wheels. I am currently using a medium sized Nike duffel bag and its about time for me to get proper luggage with wheels! What would be a good brand thats not really overpriced but will last me a long time? I do long haul sectors pretty much. I currently have a Samsonite DKX Upright 29" and the handle tubing broke in half about several uses. Thanks for any suggestions. Cheers
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
If you aren't interested in high-end named brands like Tumi, Hartmann, Victorinox and B&R that has lifetime warranty coverage or lines like TravelPro, you might want to take a look at eBags' own line of luggage products with lifetime coverage - we started using their lines lately for domestic travel & skipped the checked fees with carry-ons only (a 20" carryon with wheels for DW and a 22" convertible for myself - easy fit into 777's and 747's overhead bins)

They also have their own store on eBay and some of the products are relatively inexpensive instead of waiting for a sale on their own website - free shipping included via eBay.

http://stores.ebay.com/eBags/_i.html...4.l1513&_pgn=5

Not sure how many your long-haul travel limits on kg. allowances, but one of the 25" wheeled duffle with many pockets & compartments will hold quite a bit - easy to organize with the aid of packing cubes.

A quick search & scan of previous posts will give you good ideas of various brands used by FT's including experiences on claims.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Exp/1M, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Pre Plat
Lifetime guarantee is a must. On my third 22 Vitrinox in 9 years. Everytime i wear it out (traveling at least once a wk) I send it back to the company and get a new one! Well worth the $230 on sale at Bloomies 9 years ago.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

This is the bag I am currently using. Its hard for me to carry around. I'm looking for something that would last me a long time but not too priced. I think Tumi are nice luggage, but I am not totally sure if that is a good choice for crew.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:32 pm

Google up StopoverStore and check out the TravelPro Flight Crew line...good strong durable roller bags that cost less than Crew 8.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:12 am
Original Poster

What would be a good brand and model? Doesn't necessarily have to be for crew. I'd prefer a general carry-on.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by maortega15
What would be a good brand and model? Doesn't necessarily have to be for crew. I'd prefer a general carry-on.
Briggs & Riley has an unlimited lifetime warranty. Another option is eBags own line. There is also a thread on what bags have lifetime warranty, there are some others.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by maortega15
Because you said you don't want pricey, the TravelPro Flight Crew 4 at StopoverStore.com is a good choice. It is an older model of TravelPro but in my opinion the best. The "crew" name is just a leftover from the days before everybody had rollerbags when people started wanting the handy bags that the airline crews used. Several versions of the 22 inch roller bag are available, or if worried about always making regulation size anywhere, get a 20 inch or an 18. Priced from $129 to $149. These bags are STRONG, good looking, well designed, won't tip over, have a J hook, and the extra feature I really like is large extra pocket on back of the bag. Great for lots of things like laundry or wet bag, or going the other direction it is handy to get stuff out of easily like your ipad or reading material or jacket. The handle grip is integral so if you are trying to fit the sleeve of a stacking bag over the handle, it goes over easily.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 3:21 am
Original Poster

What other brands are good and reliable? And another note, I currently have a Samsonite 29" DkX. It keeps tipping over. How can I avoid it?
Old Jan 1, 2012, 5:24 pm

Don't get it, a 29" can't be a carryon. Do you mean you want a large roller bag? Eagle Creek Tarmac makes an excellent large roller bag, not cheap but less than Tumi etal.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tizzette
Don't get it, a 29" can't be a carryon. Do you mean you want a large roller bag? Eagle Creek Tarmac makes an excellent large roller bag, not cheap but less than Tumi etal.
I meant I currently have a 29" that I check in but it keeps tipping over. Its a Samsonite DkX. How do I avoid luggage tipping over?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 1:37 am

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Luggage with four wheels is far less likely to tip over.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by maortega15:17729620
Originally Posted by Tizzette
I meant I currently have a 29" that I check in but it keeps tipping over. Its a Samsonite DkX. How do I avoid luggage tipping over?
Pack more carefully. Heavy things at the bottom, light at the top.

But if the luggage is badly-designed, then there's not much you can do!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

What would be a good choice between Victorinox and Travelpro?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:58 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Try looking at Eagle Creek. Their wheeled carry-ons generally fall in the $250-$550 range but right now it looks like they are redesigning their lines so much of their stuff is on sale. They also recently introduced a new line called Crossroads which seems to be positioned as their lightweight and economy line. The price for a small wheeled-tote in this line (last week on promo) was $90 with the full Eagle Creek Warranty. 22" wheeled totes were under $200.

LLBean and Ebags generally have decent warranties and aren't too pricey compared to B&R.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.