Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Packing tips - Masterthread: Includes how to pack a suit!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Packing tips - Masterthread: Includes how to pack a suit!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Maybe we can have a BIG "EDITABLE" STICKY.. that can be UPDATED to LINK to Good notable threads.. Like a Big "Best Tips, Tricks, Learnings & Experiences on Flyertalk" that links to good threads that may go UNDER..
Old Sep 5, 2012, 6:49 pm

This is probably one of the best examples I have seen on how to pack a suit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDGWW7_O2sI
Old Sep 7, 2012, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

The trick with the method posted in the video above is to leave air in the bag. The actual folding of the suit jacket and the pants is less than ideal.

The creasing in the jacket takes place in a very visible spot and the shoulders are not dampened or protected (that's why you need the air in the bag). The trousers also will get sharp creases and are bent twice where with other techniques a single bend will be sufficient. And the bend can actually be dampened thus not causing wrinkles.

Moreover, this technique means you have to find a bag that fits the suit and you are using about double the packing space you actually need to avoid wrinkles. That's 100% waste. Not very efficient.

Yes, the technique works but you may just as well use a garment bag. Because your volume to weight ratio with this technique is about just as bad as using a garment bag.

Till
Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:00 am

Masterthread: Includes how to pack a suit!

You have explained it so nicely...Thanks!

Originally Posted by tfar
The trick with the method posted in the video above is to leave air in the bag. The actual folding of the suit jacket and the pants is less than ideal.

The creasing in the jacket takes place in a very visible spot and the shoulders are not dampened or protected (that's why you need the air in the bag). The trousers also will get sharp creases and are bent twice where with other techniques a single bend will be sufficient. And the bend can actually be dampened thus not causing wrinkles.

Moreover, this technique means you have to find a bag that fits the suit and you are using about double the packing space you actually need to avoid wrinkles. That's 100% waste. Not very efficient.

Yes, the technique works but you may just as well use a garment bag. Because your volume to weight ratio with this technique is about just as bad as using a garment bag.

Till
Old Sep 30, 2012, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Lee Pryor
This is probably one of the best examples I have seen on how to pack a suit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDGWW7_O2sI
It is fascinating to watch this guy folding it, tried it and sorry but I have two left arms and could never do it like that... For now, I keep hanging it in the shower every time I unpack it.
OH and a lot of praying BEFORE packing it
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:33 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Welcome to FT promocodeinn and feel free to contribute.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 9:54 am

Is there a "best" way to pack a suit in the airboss?

I was wondering if anyone has input on the "best" way to pack a suit into an Airboss? The other thread got hijacked half way through, so I figure I would ask here. I've read through the tfar's multiple (and greatly informative) posts, but was hoping to find a video on the preferred technique.

So far, it seemed like the wrap-around-the-shirt-folder technique is favored by many. But, I havent been able to wrap my head around the technique fully and can't find a video anywhere. Do you leave the hanger in the jacket? Do you wrap the suit around the folder forward or backwards (so wrinkles are more likely on the back of the jacket)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by soundbytegfx
I was wondering if anyone has input on the "best" way to pack a suit into an Airboss? The other thread got hijacked half way through, so I figure I would ask here. I've read through the tfar's multiple (and greatly informative) posts, but was hoping to find a video on the preferred technique.

So far, it seemed like the wrap-around-the-shirt-folder technique is favored by many. But, I havent been able to wrap my head around the technique fully and can't find a video anywhere. Do you leave the hanger in the jacket? Do you wrap the suit around the folder forward or backwards (so wrinkles are more likely on the back of the jacket)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Redoxx has a nice illustration for this.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 1:22 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
... and welcome to FT soundbytegfx.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:34 am

Thank you for the welcome. I'm familiar with bundle packing, but I've read many people on here have preferred methods for packing a suit. Essentially, Im trying to find a picture tutorial or video (ideal) of the "wrap-around-shirtfolder" technique that tfar mentions in several of his posts. I've seen all the suit jacket folding videos around, but none of them seem to reflect this method.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:14 pm

I've saved TONS of space when I pack using these space bags. Its incredible!

http://www.amazon.com/Space-Bag-Comp.../dp/B0009VCB6Q
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Shirt-folder wrap-around technique

Originally Posted by soundbytegfx
Essentially, Im trying to find a picture tutorial or video (ideal) of the "wrap-around-shirtfolder" technique that tfar mentions in several of his posts. I've seen all the suit jacket folding videos around, but none of them seem to reflect this method.
What you do is you simply first fold the jacket with one of the two main techniques (see above in the first few posts). The final fold is always in the main body of the jacket. Basically, you just use the shirt-folder as a cushion for the final fold. Instead of folding the jacket one last time (around nothing), you fold it around the shirt-folder. This creates a bundle. The creases are not as hard and the jacket will withstand more pressure.

The entire pressure thing is crucial when you try to avoid wrinkles. Stuff that is neatly folded and stowed without pressure will not crease easily. So if you use any of the classic techniques and then stuff the jacket into a totally overpacked bag, thus pressing it, you will still get creases.

You can also wrap the trousers around the shirt-folder first, then wrap the jacket around the trousers. That will create a rather good size bundle and is perhaps not the most space-saving technique but it does work to prevent wrinkles quite well and it is neatly packed and easy to unpack.

Till
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:25 pm

I always roll my suit and it works pretty well especially I just go with 1 backpack.

There are 2 rolling methods. The second one can be seen here. Basically, it's sleeves in or out. I go with sleeves out.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 6:18 am

There are good packers and movers like the Airsea who can guide you the right way to pack and shift your stuffs so its better you take their professional expertise.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 2:44 am

I've seen a really effective packing method from my travel journal Travelary. Let me take a photo of that page and share it with everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.